GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Impressed with the 4GS AWD in the snow...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 08:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts
Default Impressed with the 4GS AWD in the snow...

Meant to post this a couple days ago.

Seeing that we have the Jeep, I never really drive the GS in the snow. Typically on snow days my wife stays home or we'll drive in together (we work about 5 blocks away from each other) in the Jeep.

The other night during the latest east coast storm I figured I would take the GS out and drive around a little bit. We probably had 6 inches or so, maybe 7...roads were unplowed but mostly driven on already at least somewhat. I'll tell you...I was incredibly impressed by the GS in the snow. Very stable, great traction, snow mode does a great job of getting you going from a stop or accelerating while turning without drama.

Dare I say...I felt more secure and stable in the GS than the Jeep...or at least as stable...and I had just been out in the Jeep on the same roads in the same conditions not 20 minutes before.
Old 01-24-14, 08:33 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Curious as to what tires you have. Still stock, or did you replace them with something better?
Old 01-24-14, 09:09 AM
bigtang1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree - stock Michelins
Old 01-24-14, 09:18 AM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigtang1
I agree - stock Michelins
Exactly tires are everything. Case in point....My AWD GS F Sport still has the stock Bridgestones on It and my moms FWD CT has a nice set of Michelins. Her car feels more secure in the snow. My GS is still pretty good but in my experience tires are the most important followed second by drivetrain. I am ordering a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports A/S when I get home later!
Old 01-24-14, 09:26 AM
bigtang1
Rookie

Good idea !
Old 01-24-14, 09:37 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Well I had the stock crappy Bridgestones and it was just as stable. I think this does better in snow than the RX which I've been in. I actually don't feel safe driving that in snow.
Old 01-24-14, 03:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Stock Michelins.

I would say I would choose this car over the Jeep to drive in 6" or less of snow.
Old 01-24-14, 09:29 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Michelin Primacy MXM4 in 245/40R19 and they are good in the snow but the car slides a bit even with snow mode. Its not fantastic nor bad. I get winter tires placed on next week with Bridgestone Blizzaks LM32 so we will see how that feels.
Old 01-25-14, 08:29 PM
Voda48
10th Gear

The AWD does handle well here in WI, however tire make a huge difference in any ride. I must say the GS is far better to drive than my old Jeep in the winter as the roads are generally pretty clear.
Old 01-25-14, 09:58 PM
LexFather

Thats good to hear, thanks for the feedback..
Old 01-27-14, 01:46 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dare I say...I felt more secure and stable in the GS than the Jeep...or at least as stable...
It is amazing what that little button marked "snow" can do. But even without the snow mode there is an incredible amount of technology working to keep you out of trouble. Had a similar experience on a 3 hour drive, dropping my son at his university at the beginning of the month. I could confidently travel at 80 to 100 kph on the highway, which was snow and/or ice covered.

One thing after about 2 hours on the trip I had a burnt smelt. I turned the snow mode off, I concluded the smell was from something I was passing bye.
Old 01-28-14, 04:00 AM
NobodyHere
Rookie

Default Is the snow handling really that good?

I am considering purchasing a GS F Sport. I currently have an ES350 and wife has an RX. Only thing that has been holding me back is a concern about how the awd will be in the snow. Love the GS, just concerned about performance in the snow. Snow performance in this car must be better than the ES or I am a dead man (wife will do the deed if it isn't significantly better).

Also drove a GX460, but didn't like the bouncy ride and the fact that they wanted MSRP for the vehicle.

One comparison in this thread was to an RX, saying the GS was better in the snow. Really? I would like to believe that, but can't figure out why that would be. Figuring they likely have the same awd system, so was the difference the tires.

I am close to pulling the trigger on this, just need to feel better about the snow handling. Won't miss the torque steer on the ES!
Old 01-28-14, 06:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I came from the ES, I had two. The AWD GS is much better in the snow. You'll be pleased.

The RX is FWD based, and the AWD system is not as sophisticated as it is in the GS. I personally think a rear bias is safer n the snow because it gives you more control over the steering.
Old 01-28-14, 08:53 AM
NobodyHere
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I never realized that the RX had a differs AWD than the GS. If it's better than the RX that says a lot. We had unplowed roads here with 7 inches of snow, packed down, and the RX had no issue. Taking another test drive tonight of the GS.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I came from the ES, I had two. The AWD GS is much better in the snow. You'll be pleased.

The RX is FWD based, and the AWD system is not as sophisticated as it is in the GS. I personally think a rear bias is safer n the snow because it gives you more control over the steering.
Old 01-28-14, 10:24 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by NobodyHere
I am considering purchasing a GS F Sport. I currently have an ES350 and wife has an RX. Only thing that has been holding me back is a concern about how the awd will be in the snow. Love the GS, just concerned about performance in the snow. Snow performance in this car must be better than the ES or I am a dead man (wife will do the deed if it isn't significantly better).

Also drove a GX460, but didn't like the bouncy ride and the fact that they wanted MSRP for the vehicle.

One comparison in this thread was to an RX, saying the GS was better in the snow. Really? I would like to believe that, but can't figure out why that would be. Figuring they likely have the same awd system, so was the difference the tires.

I am close to pulling the trigger on this, just need to feel better about the snow handling. Won't miss the torque steer on the ES!
Yes I can promise you its better than an RX I have had countless loaners as well as a AWD RX450h, and my sister owns a RX and we have traded cars and it isn't as stable as the GS. The GS as SW13GS stated best feels better than his Jeep, it is at times slipped when taking off without the snow button engaged with it engaged its like magic.

Quick Reply: Impressed with the 4GS AWD in the snow...