GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Useless rear cam view when winter driving, Solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 03:58 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Useless rear cam view when winter driving, Solutions?

Hello,
Rear cam is usually useless when you arrive at destination because of all the salt and dirt that is attached while driving on messy roads. Any solutions here? If you need to step out, clean cam and reenter to park then its easier to turst your side mirrors. You have a hose to flash head lights but what about the cam?
Old 01-24-14, 04:22 AM
Igor911
Driver

It's called turning your head and looking back while you reverse...
Old 01-24-14, 05:51 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Igor911
Funny
One of the advantages of the backup camera is that it shows you objects that are on the ground right behind your car (not tall enough to see even when you look back).
That's the reason why the govt is trying to make backup cameras mandatory on all new cars in the near future.

@Neogenic - I'm not aware of a solution to this issue. And while I'm not in an area impacted by this (hardly ever snows in TX), I know what you mean (was in IL)
Old 01-24-14, 06:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Clean it off.

I mean...it's a camera on the outside of a car. It's going to get dirty...nothing can be done about that. If you need it to work when you're driving in such conditions, clean it off regularly.
Old 01-24-14, 11:18 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Originally Posted by Igor911
When you work hard for your lifetime then you understand its worth!

jj14 right on the spot

As for other inputs
Thats what I do, I clean it off when I step out of the car after parking it. And if this happens after a salty road then cam is useless until you step out. Such a useless piece of engeneering in winter conditions. Oh by the way it gathers rain drops as well. Have you see how fish eye lins work when there a dropp of water on it. Useless again!!
Old 01-24-14, 11:56 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Yeah pretty much the nature of the beast as every car that has a camera does this some worst than others. BMW X5 is horrible at keeping snow off or salt.
Old 01-24-14, 12:10 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They could make it pop out when shift to reverse and shut close when not in use.

Anything is possible if you willing to pay for it. :-D
Old 01-24-14, 12:49 PM
Neogenic
Driver

Originally Posted by onexcite
They could make it pop out when shift to reverse and shut close when not in use.

Anything is possible if you willing to pay for it. :-D
I will pay given the option,

See this, Nissan is working on it,
Old 01-24-14, 02:56 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

That rear cam washer looks exactly like the windshield washer nozzle, which does not even work for me when the temperature outside is below 10F / -12C. I can't wash my windshield for 2 days already because the nozzle is frozen, so I'm not sure how effective this cam cleaning solution is.
Old 01-25-14, 06:40 PM
Nismo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by onexcite
That's a brilliant idea.

And here I was hoping the automakers would begin adding electric heating elements (like the rear window and side view mirrors have) to the rear view cameras, or maybe a washer (like the video) or some other wizzbang design. Your solution is so simple! I wonder if anyone's patented it yet.
Old 01-25-14, 08:40 PM
lexesty72
Driver

Old 01-25-14, 08:54 PM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Fill your washer with iso alcohol if u want to use them in freezing temps , thats what airplanes use to eliminate ice build up
Old 01-26-14, 01:39 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Originally Posted by thekhmer
Fill your washer with iso alcohol if u want to use them in freezing temps , thats what airplanes use to eliminate ice build up
Right on spot! A water nozzle and a pneumatic nozzle will work just fine! I will concider making this work as a DIY next summer. Nissan is on a good track here, washer controlld pump/compressor /air/water and with seperat minifluid tank.

Pop up cam is a good idea as well but hardly something you apply as DIY without conciderable hard labor.
Old 01-26-14, 10:44 AM
Nismo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Neogenic
Right on spot! A water nozzle and a pneumatic nozzle will work just fine! I will concider making this work as a DIY next summer. Nissan is on a good track here, washer controlld pump/compressor /air/water and with seperat minifluid tank.

Pop up cam is a good idea as well but hardly something you apply as DIY without conciderable hard labor.
That's pretty cool.

Another idea, if it's a DIY project, is to use a small RC servo with return spring. Attach a small sliding cover over the camera lens. You can probably power the servo with the power from the reverse lights. Every time you put the car in reverse, the servo powers up and turns, uncovering the lens. When you move it out of reverse, the spring forces the cover closed.
Old 01-26-14, 11:43 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Originally Posted by Nismo
That's pretty cool.

Another idea, if it's a DIY project, is to use a small RC servo with return spring. Attach a small sliding cover over the camera lens. You can probably power the servo with the power from the reverse lights. Every time you put the car in reverse, the servo powers up and turns, uncovering the lens. When you move it out of reverse, the spring forces the cover closed.
Thats actually a great idea as well, with only one tiny hole to make it work. I will reasearch it. Thx. Already talk with my friend, he is a good engineer :-)

Quick Reply: Useless rear cam view when winter driving, Solutions?