GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Joe Z or anyone with f-sport fog lights, please chime in...fog indicator on cluster

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 09:47 PM
tungo
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Joe Z or anyone with f-sport fog lights, please chime in...fog indicator on cluster

I have wired up everything on my car to get the fog lights to work using the OEM stalk. The last thing I want to do now is to get the fog light indicator on my cluster to work.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on what I need to do in order to achieve this?

It's the last thing I would like to have done in order to call this a complete job.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-23-14, 07:21 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by tungo
I have wired up everything on my car to get the fog lights to work using the OEM stalk. The last thing I want to do now is to get the fog light indicator on my cluster to work.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on what I need to do in order to achieve this?

It's the last thing I would like to have done in order to call this a complete job.

Thanks in advance
It will not show up unless you get the OEM stalk used in the luxury or regular GS with fog lights. Also you can make a button but if you want OEM you need to purchase the stalk. Light will not show on the stalk that came with your car as there is no fog light switch.
Old 01-23-14, 07:46 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

You have to tap into the ECU. OP has the OEM stalk, so I would imagine, he did not tap the ECU.

I haven't done this mod yet, but really want to. One of you DIY guys needs to do a full write-up with video with step by step instructions. The part about removing the steering wheel/air bag scares the **** out of me.
Old 01-23-14, 07:57 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
You have to tap into the ECU. OP has the OEM stalk, so I would imagine, he did not tap the ECU.

I haven't done this mod yet, but really want to. One of you DIY guys needs to do a full write-up with video with step by step instructions. The part about removing the steering wheel/air bag scares the **** out of me.
I feel you lol. I've resorted to just forking over money to a dealership that will do it. There's only one dealer in S Fla. that has installed a kit w/ the headlight stalk so options are none existent.
Old 01-23-14, 08:07 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

My local dealer never responded to my email...that was sent in early December. Seems like an easy way to make money. They must not have any idea how to so it. #frustrating
Old 01-23-14, 08:20 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

My local dealer never responded to my email...that was sent in early December. Seems like an easy way to make money. They must not have any idea how to so it. #frustrating
They really don't. I called seven dealerships in total and 5 of the 7 had no idea what I was talking about. One even told me it's not recommended because I'd have to drill into my bumper...
Old 01-23-14, 08:21 AM
ttran1130
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat as well. Purchased the complete foglight kit from Nigel but I'm hesitant to take apart the steering/air bag. I agree with a full write up w/ video also. I would pay for your service also. please help!! Lol
Old 01-23-14, 10:55 AM
axiom00
Driver School Candidate

Fog indicator will light up if you tap the fog switch in the stalk to the ECU and in turns control the fog lights. Wiring is already there from the ECU to the integration relay inside the engine bay. You'll need to make a wiring harness from the integration relay to the lights.

Dealership did the install for me and the tech took some pictures along the way.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-install.html

Old 01-23-14, 11:05 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by axiom00

Dealership did the install for me and the tech took some pictures along the way.
[
At times I wonder who was in charge of laying out the icons in the dash... it makes no sense!
Old 01-23-14, 11:56 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Oh I thought he was referring to the one that came with his GS, not sure why I thought that but yeah my fault.
Old 01-23-14, 03:00 PM
tungo
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I helped my buddy and took the steering off in less than an hour to put the stalk on. The hardest part was un-clicking the standard stalk from where it clicks in and replacing it with the new dimmer switch one. The second and third time took less than 10 minutes when taking the steering wheel off.

There's two tabs under the steering wheel. Pop those off, remove a few screws, flip the airbag up, unplug the 3 connectors on the airbag, pound on a few areas on the steering wheel in a few spots to get it loose, remove and that's its and unplug the 3 connectors. The only thing that you have to be careful with is the steering wheel squib. The only downside to doing this is that with the plastic covers surround the steering wheel column, when you pry them apart, the plastic will flex and will cause imperfections. However, you won't see it with the steering wheel back on. It's impossible to do it without causing the plastic to flex and we used plastic tools.

But when you guys say tap into the ECU, where exactly do I tap? Anybody have a wiring diagram? I'm assuming the ECU is by the panel in the front passenger footwell? Can you just remove that plastic panel in the footwell, or do you have to remove the glovebox in order to get to it? Seems like an easy task and I'm willing to do it in order to get the fog indicator to turn on.
Old 01-23-14, 08:55 PM
axiom00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tungo
Anybody have a wiring diagram?
If you're going this route, it's a negative trigger @ the fog switch to the ECU. Don't connect it to + unless you want to risk frying the ECU.

The original connector was used with the new stalk. It already had the pin inside the harness to make the connection.