GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Blind Spot Monitor - Do you rely solely on it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 07:58 PM
sirsaula
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from a 2007 mitsu galant that had no blind spot monitoring. This offering was great in my 2014 F Sport, i rely on it but not solely. I believe in looking first and then using the BSM as an added eye.
Old 01-23-14, 06:19 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't even turn my BSM on though like others have said it's a nice support and safety feature in the GS.

BTW has anyone else noticed (at least on the 2013's) that the more the BSM gets used, the more the BSM light icon leaves sort of a "burned" marking on the mirror? I've seen that occur on some of the other GS's on the roads and parking lots. Makes me wonder if Lexus has knowledge of this circuitry issue on the GS being that it's the first year they put out the BSM feature available.
Old 01-23-14, 12:07 PM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

NEVER rely solely on the BSM. no other explanations
Old 01-24-14, 01:02 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSFGO
The short answer is no, don't rely solely on the BSMs. They don't always work. First of all, they don't work under 20 MPH, they are not always reliable, and sometimes the're switched off by mistake.
Anyone else use this method?
always happens to me and i wonder why they're not working when a car enters my blind spot lol
Old 01-24-14, 07:43 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

My BSM does not work well with 18 wheelers. The mirror light comes on when I am half way past the truck. Could it be that the 18 wheeler has high ground clearance and the sensors read lower? Anyone else notice this? My GS is a 2013 and prior to my GS I owned a 2013 ES. The BSM was a lot more accurate on the ES, seeing vehicles a lot sooner and for a longer distance. That said, unless someone is visually impaired and shouldn't be driving anyway, it's pretty easy to spot an 18 wheeler anywhere close to your car.
Old 01-24-14, 08:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusk8
BTW has anyone else noticed (at least on the 2013's) that the more the BSM gets used, the more the BSM light icon leaves sort of a "burned" marking on the mirror? I've seen that occur on some of the other GS's on the roads and parking lots. Makes me wonder if Lexus has knowledge of this circuitry issue on the GS being that it's the first year they put out the BSM feature available.
I've not noticed this at all...

Its just a little LED light.

I'm reminded how used to it I get when I drive the Jeep with no BSM lol
Old 01-24-14, 08:07 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm going to rant a little and say that my BSM comes in handy because there are so many idiots that continually drive in my blind spot and won't speed up or slow down. To me, this is dangerous because if one of us has to swerve to avoid something in the road, well...

Otherwise, I typically look over my shoulder rather than relying on BSM.
Old 01-25-14, 12:35 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BSM is great but I use my neck as well. Its good to use you neck while driving. Exercise is never wrong and if you get a loaner without it or change to other brand, its good to have the movement inplanted still.
Old 01-25-14, 07:42 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

no i do not rely solely on my BSM. i look at the monitor first, then turn my head, then look at the monitor once more before i change lanes. cars come out of no where fast so i'm always extra careful.
Old 01-25-14, 10:22 PM
Nismo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...don't rely solely on the BSMs... sometimes the're switched off by mistake.
I almost learned this the hard way with the parking sensors. I tend to rely on them when parking close to stuff. A while back I was parking and got really close without hearing anything... fortunately I had the presence of mind to stop. Turns out that when the wife cleaned the vehicle, she inadvertently switched off the parking sensors.

Personally, I think that for any vehicle with blind spot monitors, parking sensors, or any other sensors that, over time, you'd get used to functioning, that Lexus should put a warning light on the dash if the sensor is turned OFF, and not the other way around.

...adjust your side view mirrors [so that] when a passing car is just disappearing from the rear view mirror, it shows up in the side view mirror... Anyone else use this method?
Yep. Works well. I've got a medical issue that makes it difficult to turn my head too far left or right, so the combination of good mirrors and BSM works well.