GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Clicking noise from Front wheel TSB

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-14, 05:25 PM
razo168
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sending my car in this WED. Hope they fix it before my long drive to Vegas!
Old 07-05-15, 04:17 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sgmstr
Does this only apply to F Sport?

I have non F Sport and have clicking sound, but only notice when I'm on rough asphalt.
Did you get your fixed? I have luxury and clicking noise now, car only 16K miles.
Old 11-02-15, 12:41 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Any follow up on this? Those of u that got it fixed, has the noise returned?

I heard clicking on mine while turning slowly but not always. Pulled into a parking space and heard this but I did a few slow 360s and didn't hear it again. Plus there was a mariachi band playing across the street making some ticking sounds too.

Is it safe to just leave it alone? I hate letting dealer touch my car cause they will always damage something later.
Old 11-02-15, 01:30 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
there was a mariachi band playing across the street making some ticking sounds.

Old 11-02-15, 10:43 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Any follow up on this? Those of u that got it fixed, has the noise returned?

I heard clicking on mine while turning slowly but not always. Pulled into a parking space and heard this but I did a few slow 360s and didn't hear it again. Plus there was a mariachi band playing across the street making some ticking sounds too.

Is it safe to just leave it alone? I hate letting dealer touch my car cause they will always damage something later.
No they didn't fix mine yet, said it's normal for those noise. I figure replace the rotors will cure the noise so I just let it go this time rather than have them fixing something not really broken and end up with scratch and dent somewhere else.
Old 11-03-15, 05:38 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Different car same issue..

For what it's worth, I experienced the same clicking noise on my CTS-V as people here are explaining. After numerous trips to the dealer didn't correct the clicking noise here is what I did.

I removed the front wheels and cleaned the hub of the rim and rotor where they make contact with each other. I put a thin coating of anti-seize compound on the hub of the rims where they make contact with the rotor.

It has been 18 months and no noise. From what I told the noise was due to the aluminum rim making contact with the rotor hub.

Not sure if it will work for you GS owners, (hopefully it will) but figured it was worth mentioning since what you guys are experiencing sounds like exactly the same issue I had. Good Luck.

Last edited by JT4; 11-03-15 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-03-15, 08:04 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by onexcite
No they didn't fix mine yet, said it's normal for those noise. I figure replace the rotors will cure the noise so I just let it go this time rather than have them fixing something not really broken and end up with scratch and dent somewhere else.
That's right!
Old 11-03-15, 08:06 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JT4

For what it's worth, I experienced the same clicking noise on my CTS-V as people here are explaining. After numerous trips to the dealer didn't correct the clicking noise here is what I did.

I removed the front wheels and cleaned the hub of the rim and rotor where they make contact with each other. I put a thin coating of anti-seize compound on the hub of the rims where they make contact with the rotor.

It has been 18 months and no noise. From what I told the noise was due to the aluminum rim making contact with the rotor hub.

Not sure if it will work for you GS owners, (hopefully it will) but figured it was worth mentioning since what you guys are experiencing sounds like exactly the same issue I had. Good Luck.
It is possible, thanks man!

It's so faint and u don't hear it when the windows are closed.
Old 11-03-15, 08:58 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

It is possible, thanks man!

It's so faint and u don't hear it when the windows are closed.
Yup, exactly what I had. And when the windows are open and you're in a parking lot turning at low speeds it's embrassing.. Dealer originally replaced my lug nuts, then there was a TSB that gave them a new spec for torquing the lugs. Then they replaced the two piece rotors and sound was still there.

Heard about the anti-seize fix I mentioned above, and was skeptical at first but it worked. For me anyway..
Old 11-03-15, 09:25 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4

This is one reason why Discount Tire always uses a wire brush on a drill to remove the rust and corrosion from the wheel hubs and lugs anytime they remove a wheel.
Old 11-03-15, 10:06 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
This is one reason why Discount Tire always uses a wire brush on a drill to remove the rust and corrosion from the wheel hubs and lugs anytime they remove a wheel.
That makes sense.. But in my case the first time I heard the noise the car was new with around 600 miles on it. And since it's my weekend car it never sees bad weather so the hubs weren't corroded.

Regardless, I wire brushed, degreased and lightly cleaned with a high grit sandpaper before applying the anti seize on them at around 2,000 miles. Now 6,000 miles later they're still quiet..

Dammm, I hope I didn't jinx myself...
Old 11-03-15, 12:28 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

So that means the noise won't do anything bad right? Besides just to annoy the owner, there will be no performance issue?
Old 11-03-15, 12:50 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

So that means the noise won't do anything bad right? Besides just to annoy the owner, there will be no performance issue?
At the time I was told by the dealer that it's not doing any damage to the car. Their feeling was that if any damage was being done they would noticed something wrong during one of the several times they inspected the car during service.

IMO based on the the fact that a little anti-seize compound on the hub got rid of the noise, I would have to assume there is no damage was being done. But then again I am by no means a technician, so please take it for what it's worth.
Old 11-03-15, 04:02 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Your right I see them doing that all the time.