GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What other Cars did you consider purchasing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-14, 11:34 AM
Jrocket
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What other Cars did you consider purchasing?

What other Cars did you decide on between your GS350 and ??
Any Regrets? Any other vehicel that you think you would have been just as happy in?

Im still pretty set on ordering a GS350 Fsport however there are a few minor things That still bother me that I wish would have been addressed.

3D Maps for Navigation ( seems crazy to have that large beautiful screen in the car and only 2 d maps.

No birds eye view for rear back up camera.

and most important the MPG for a 2014 this is pretty unimpressive considering where other cars or going might be different if this thing was pushing 350hp or so but even what I have read about the switch to 8 gears doesnt seem as though it helped. Just seems like this car is getting the same gas mileage as an Audi S6.

with that being said the other vehicles I am still considering are

Infiniti Q50 S hybrid.
audi a6 and s6

and I really want to check out the new C class Benz..

My heart is set on lexus still but w/ no dealer close by and the few features its missing I am not in a rush to go out and place my order now.
Old 01-11-14, 11:50 AM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

When my lease is up in 24 months, I am hoping the GS-F will be out. If not, then I may be moving to the Audi S6 (or RS7). I want something that seats four comfortably, but has more then 350hp (prefer around 400hp). Do I need all that hp? No, but I want it just for fun.
Old 01-11-14, 12:13 PM
Jrocket
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dustin2011
When my lease is up in 24 months, I am hoping the GS-F will be out. If not, then I may be moving to the Audi S6 (or RS7). I want something that seats four comfortably, but has more then 350hp (prefer around 400hp). Do I need all that hp? No, but I want it just for fun.
The RS7 is so Amazing!! IF I could swing that w/o a doubt that would be my go to right now. However My market tops out at the S7 and honestly I just dont like the look of it. I prefer the S6 look. However the RS7 has a far more aggressive look that to me is perfect and that Power

THe GSF has captured My interest as well and if the MPG is relatively close to what the GS350's numbers are that could be a serious consideration for me. Given the price is less than an S6 which is where I expect the price range to be.

Dont get me wrong .. I love the look and feel of the Fsport but 306hp and 24mpgs on the hwy is pretty unimpressive as compared to what the competition is doing.

I really dig the new RC F but 2 doors are not in my future.
Old 01-11-14, 01:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I looked at all the usual suspects, E Class, 5 Series, A6, Jag XF, Cadillac XTS (new CTS wasn't out but I have driven it.

The only other car I really liked overall was the A6. The GS has a nicer interior, but I like the A6 outside.

The Q50 Is a class below the GS, doesn't compare. Same with the C, even the new one I'm sure.
Old 01-11-14, 01:45 PM
GS14AWD
Rookie

I considered Land Rover Evoque, Jeep Grand Cheroker, BMW 335xi GT. Evoque was about $53k msrp, jeep was about $55k, and bmw was about $61k.

Evoque, after dealing, was still more than GS lease deal. Evoque was not worth paying more monthly when its msrp was about $8k less than GS.

Surprise was jeep. With a hugh discount, it was the cheapest at around mid $40k, but its lease was one of the most expensive. Resale value...

BMW carried comparable lease deal as jeep, more than Evoque. Similar msrp to GS, but about $200 more monthly. I think I could have negotiated a better deal but did not think it was worth my time when GS offered so much with such good deal.

All in all, I am happy with my choice.
Old 01-11-14, 04:46 PM
revhigh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I looked at all the usual suspects, E Class, 5 Series, A6, Jag XF, Cadillac XTS (new CTS wasn't out but I have driven it.
My list was exactly the same, all good choices. I have done BMW, MERC and Audi. I thought the Jag and Cadillac were overpriced for what you get. Never owned a Lexus, so let's give them a try, so far no regrets. Car is exceptional and the dealer experience is far better than what the "german" brands offer.
Old 01-11-14, 05:03 PM
gsny2014
Driver School Candidate

I was considering Q50 and BMW 5 series GT (for more cargo space). But after spending a month on Infinity forum at infinitiq50 dot org/forum , it was clear to me that lots of people have lots of issues with DAS and Intouch, and their brand new q50s spend lots of time at dealership. Infinity even had a recall of new vehicles with DAS.
My friend owns a loaded A6, so I had a chance to drive and compare. A6 has more features, and drives smoother and faster, but I still liked GS350 better, especially with a great December to Remember deal!
Old 01-11-14, 06:44 PM
Jrocket
Driver School Candidate

Spent the last few hours reading reviews on the q50s / q50s hybrid.

It's off the list. Thanks to the new steering system... and gsny you seem to be right looks like alot of issues ... I say Pass on this one.

So the S6 is the one that is really keeping my interest right now.

I am willing to hold off a bit longer and see what I can find out about the GSF and want to see the reveal and what final specs/stats are released for the RC F and see if any more concrete info is released about the GSF in regards to similarities to the RC F.

Big fan of the Cts V sport engine/suspension and spec's not a fan of the exterior and the interior to me ... well it's just not my taste.

I wonder if the new Acura TLX would be something to take a look at.. I'm seriously doubting it though. Acura always seems to miss the mark.. From what I have read I still have seen no real info on whats to come.

Man... I'm just going to have to be patient a bit longer so I make the correct purchase..

Hopefully a lot of new info will surface on Tuesday.
Old 01-12-14, 07:03 AM
wiredup
Driver School Candidate

I considered most of what was discussed thus far; however, spent most of my time comparing 535i. I believe the technology is superior to Lexus - 3d screens, integration with smartphone but ultimately I did not like the long hood and signature but antiquated interior design.
Old 01-12-14, 11:22 AM
drjosh123
Driver School Candidate

I was looking at the Audi A6 3.0t, BMW 535/550 and the MB 350.

Merc was ruled out almost immediately - I have always had difficulties liking their style and technology. For instance, the ridiculous cruise control lever right where the turn signal should be drives me crazy.

The BMW was uninspiring to me. My last car was a 2011 M3 (which I loved dearly and still miss) and the 5-series just didn't have as much personality.

The Audi was the closest contender. Love the engine and the tank-like feel. Interior is really nice (2nd place compared to the GS, in my opinion). However, the value proposition wasn't there. Too much money for not enough return on investment (of course, all cars are bad investments...but I digress).

The GS beat them all out for me. I also researched the Infiniti M37, Acura RLX and the Cadillac CTS - but, I was never seriously interested in any of them.
Old 01-12-14, 02:58 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I was dead set on a Q50, preordered and everything, but they kept wasting my time with holdups. Week after week went by and other people were just showing up and buying what was on the lot, and my car still hadn't arrived. Frustrated, I went to the Lexus dealer and started looking over the GS350. I drove one with cabernet leather and the ML stereo. To this day I still don't care for the silly haptic mouse for Enform and the apps are lacking, but DAT SCREEN.

I had a sweet spot for leasing they had to hit, and with the $2500 lease cash (last August), it knocked the price down so much I ended up getting a much more expensive car than the Q50 for a good monthly payment. After reading what Q50 owners had to say about the unfinished tech and odd steering issues, I think I made the right decision.

Still, it frustrates me that the F Sport is just a leather and aluminum package. I got the rear wheel steering, hud, all options, but the car is lacking about 50 horses. The fact that my friend's 2011 IS 350 has an identical engine sucks.

When my lease is up, I'm going to be staring hard at the GS-F. It will be a beast and I like alot of things about the RC-F Coupe also. As long as the GS-F doesn't go full predator with the grille, it's on my top 5 list.
Old 01-14-14, 01:08 PM
Jrocket
Driver School Candidate

New ACURA TLX caught my eye today at the Detroit Auto Show.

Looks like the first promising sport sedan from Acura in quite some time.

Hopefully they didnt continue w/ the low rent interior and It would be awesome if the set up wasnt the dual screens like Accords and the RLX

IF the V6 w/ the 9 speed trans comes in around 315 to 325 HP It may be a pretty impressive sport sedan. THey are making a claim to highly impressive fuel economy for the class.

It really makes me want to wait around to see the final product/ the numbers and Interior are important to me.

Mostly Acura is boring. I owned an 04 Acura TSX for about 2 years. IT was ok, very underpowered though.

However this one is the chance for Acura to turn the company around.. that is until the 2016 Acura NSX is released in 2025... ha

Sneaky feeling I will still buy a GS Fsport or hold out for the GSF ( hoping for some new news soon) but reading through the thread about crap MPG's is still holding me back.. would be differnet if this was a more powerful Supercharged 6 under the hood.. but the power and mpg combo just seems behind the times and as alot of new choices are being released It seems worth holding out till mid summer.

** side note** I have owned 1 Lexus before a 2001 IS300 Silver on Black and I absolutely loved everything about it except the power... I do remember that car being 95% trouble free though.. That is one thing that keeps drawing me in from Lexus everytime I pull away.
Old 01-14-14, 01:42 PM
Tom450
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I also looked at the MB E350, Audi A6 and BMW but reliability was a concern so I am staying with the Lexus. My search for a 2014 GS lux was negative and was ready to custom order when I saw a 2013 GS450h for the same price I would pay for the 14 lux. It is now in the garage. Have you considered the GS450h? It has the horse power and the MPG plus the AVS and sport + is standard. There are a few 2013's around but are going fast.
Old 01-14-14, 02:39 PM
Badconexun
Driver School Candidate

Tom450....what was the msrp on your 450h and what did you pay before ttl?
Old 01-14-14, 08:26 PM
Tom450
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Badconexun, The MSRP was $65143 and I got $11,000 off so paid $54143. Color was LP with grey interior and IPA, BSM, ML, and Nav. I found that going to auto trader for new cars showed the inventory for the dealers. I believe they have about 15 listed for the whole US. There were only about 2 or 3 in Florida.

Quick Reply: What other Cars did you consider purchasing?