GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Everyone check ur spare tire area for water

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 03:13 AM
Fespar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When water was poured on the rear window water ran in somewhere along the rear liner!Believe that Omghi2u
is correct.Guess drain channels are clogged up forcing the water another way.When it's no longer 10 inches of snow and 14 degrees F I'll do as Omghi2u said.That'll be another three months!!!
Old 04-18-16, 01:58 PM
ataie
Driver School Candidate

so any update on the water in the trunk on 2013 GS350? what did dealer find?

all carpet in trunk is dry but puddle of water under spare tire after a day of rain.
Old 04-18-16, 04:35 PM
0mghi2u
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ataie
so any update on the water in the trunk on 2013 GS350? what did dealer find?

all carpet in trunk is dry but puddle of water under spare tire after a day of rain.
Didn't goto dealer cuz warranty was over.
Well I haven't seen water yet been a year
Old 04-18-16, 06:18 PM
ataie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 0mghi2u
Didn't goto dealer cuz warranty was over.
Well I haven't seen water yet been a year
So did u do anything to fix it? Any assistance would be appreciated. Trunk floor & walls are dry. Water standing in the spare compartment. Seals around the trunk are all good and tight. Thanks,
Old 04-18-16, 06:29 PM
0mghi2u
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ataie
So did u do anything to fix it? Any assistance would be appreciated. Trunk floor & walls are dry. Water standing in the spare compartment. Seals around the trunk are all good and tight. Thanks,
I'll take pics. I used foam to seal all areas that I saw was a breach and fixed it
Old 04-19-16, 03:37 PM
121traffic
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a little less than an inch standing in there! Had the car since January and its been outside through a couple of really decent snowstorms. I pulled the plus, let it all drain out, and thoroughly dried the area. I tried pouring two giant glasses of water down the rear window then checking for any moisture. None.

My GS is white, and the water in the tirewell was clear and clean so I think that rules out undercarriage splash. It was only in the rear most, deepest portion...no sign of moisture on the higher elevated portions of the well, i.e. the bracket where the tire gets secured to. A little moisture in the carpet on the rear edge of the tire cover...none in the middle.

Just a little residual moisture on the rear lip that holds the cover over the tire too. It makes me wonder if some water is getting through when I powerwash that area (I really focus on the seam) then draining straight down into the well. I'm letting the cover dry completely in the sun, and will just have to keep an eye on it.
Old 04-20-16, 04:57 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

You guys need to get in the trunk with a flashlight and have someone spray a garden hose over the trunk area to see where water is coming in. I tried this on a car I had and found where the water was coming through the weatherstrip.
Old 04-20-16, 09:33 AM
121traffic
Driver School Candidate

I just checked a bunch of stuff that had been in my trunk for work that I took out before reading this thread. The nylon bag had been dry. It usually sits further forward in the trunk, directly under the track where the rear window starts. Went in the bag today...bunch of wet crap at the bottom, lots of paperwork and documents ruined! We had a big snow storm and snow sat up in that area. I'm thinking the snow blocked the drainage routes and caused snowmelt to dump into the trunk. 😠
Old 04-28-16, 09:22 AM
ataie
Driver School Candidate

ok found at least where the water is coming from. took the carpet and spare out of the trunk, pulled the car on the driveway, closed the trunk then held the water hose on the back window for a minute, good amount of water going down both sides of the trunk. shut water, dried the trunk, then opened it to see small puddle in the spare tire well area. ALL carpets dry on the sides, floor, even carpet on the trunk lid itself dry. There was a tiny stream of water coming from behind the trunk latch (behind the hard plastic the runs on the edge) exactly in the center going into the spare area. that's why carpets weren't wet.

car is a 2013 GS so all rubber on the trunk looks good. I pulled the rubber gasket off, got some silicone caulking put on the trunk edge and pushed the trunk gasket in. All fixed now. that's crazy why we even have to do that, but obviously somehow the water was getting through the gasket and making itself in from the very bottom.

so to be clear. if your standing behind the car with trunk open. the leak on my car was directly in the center behind the hard plastic edge, behind the trunk latch (not the lid). I'd be interested to know if this is happening on other GS models as well or not. thanks
Old 04-29-16, 07:54 AM
Lakersfan
Pole Position

Seems there are quite a few threads on trunk leaks for several different models.... ill check mine after i wash it. I ha e a 2015
Old 03-12-18, 08:40 AM
j028hew
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb 2013 GS350 With Water In Spare Tire Well

I've recently discovered standing water in my spare tire well. I searched the Club Lexus posts to see if I could find similar reported issues. In my case I found the problem was related to sunroof drain tube, specifically the drain tube on the drivers side

After trying to diagnose the problem without much luck I was poking around in the trunk and removed the cover of the small storage compartment on the left side (that btw I only discovered when I removed the cover). When I removed the cover, I discovered this storage compartment. When I tried to remove the plastic storage compartment, I discovered it was essentially floating. When I pulled the storage compartment out, I found several inches of standing water. I used a siphon and some towels to remove the water and dry out the area. So now I had to find how so much water was in this area. I found another plastic access cover that is above this compartment. When I removed this cover, I found a plastic drain line. I reached in and found the drain line was hanging free and not connected or routed outside of the car. I reached down and discovered a drain to the exterior left wheel well that would accommodate the sunroof drain line, I reconnected the sunroof drain line into this exterior drain.

After days of rain and going through the car wash - my trunk area is dry! I have no idea how the line became disconnected from the exterior drain. I've owned the car about 6 months and think this is a fairly recent issue but can't be sure.

I hope the pictures below are helpful for any others having this issue. And I hope something similar doesn't happen on the right side. That storage area has computer/electronics in it.

Area below left storage compartment in trunk 2013 GS350

Access panel above the left storage compartment in trunk 2013 GS350

Left side sunroof drain line 2013 GS350

Drain to rear left exterior wheel well
The following 2 users liked this post by j028hew:
CottageChz (09-12-18), drgrant (03-12-18)
Old 09-12-18, 07:56 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Anyone ever get water in the right trunk compartment, where the amplifier is? I found some over there, about 1/2"-1" at the bottom, and apparently it ruined my amplifier. Poked around in there but didn't really see any way for water to enter. I also do not see a sunroof drain on that side.

Also, does anyone know what that little flap/vent in j028hew's first picture is? There's one of those on the right side also.
Old 09-12-18, 08:23 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Change light bulbs?
Old 09-12-18, 08:28 AM
j028hew
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi CottageChz - I think that flap is designed as an overflow in the event water gets into the area. That's how I discovered I had water in the left side. When I moved the car, I would see puddles / water trail from the car in the driveway or parking lot. Stinks you had water on the right where electronics are!
Old 09-12-18, 08:33 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

jtrue, not sure if you were suggesting the flap is for changing light bulbs or if you were asking if i changed them. The answer is no to both, I believe. I don't think there are any bulbs accessible through that flap, and as far as I can remember I have never changed any bulbs or paid anyone to change any bulbs back there since owning the car.

j028hew - interesting. There would have to be a pretty large amount of water in that compartment for it to get as high as that flap. But I guess if there was that much water in there I'd be happy the flap was there to drain it. Crazy that you had that much in there. I was kind of wondering if water could have entered that compartment through that flap. Seems unlikely, but I don't know where this water is coming from... and I need to figure it out so I can replace my amp and know that it won't happen again.

Do you know what the little black plug on the bottom is for? The right compartment has that too, and the center part of the plug is foam. I was thinking maybe that was some sort of drain, but it's not at the lowest point of the compartment.

Quick Reply: Everyone check ur spare tire area for water