GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Whistling noise on driver's side resolved!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-13, 04:18 PM
batman0510
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whistling noise on driver's side resolved!

After multiple visits to the Lexus dealership for the whistling noise coming from the driver's side rearview mirror, they have finally resolved the issue. I have the clear paint protection film on my GS and after removing the driver's side only, the whistling noise is gone!!! Detail installation department was aware of this as of last week since many customers with this same option have complained about the whistling noise. I hope this will help some of you.
Old 12-27-13, 05:26 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by batman0510
After multiple visits to the Lexus dealership for the whistling noise coming from the driver's side rearview mirror, they have finally resolved the issue. I have the clear paint protection film on my GS and after removing the driver's side only, the whistling noise is gone!!! Detail installation department was aware of this as of last week since many customers with this same option have complained about the whistling noise. I hope this will help some of you.
That's interesting. I have PPF on both rear view mirrors with no issues. No noise from passenger side?
Old 12-27-13, 06:30 PM
jam33
Driver School Candidate

I had the whistling too. It too was abated when the ppf was removed from the side mirrors. It's odd how some of them whistle and some don't. Must be the geometry of the cut during install. Mine was two pieces per mirror. I removed just the lower and the whistling didn't go away, so off came the upper.

I found during internet search some instances of whistling on other cars too, e.g. BMW.
Old 12-27-13, 09:27 PM
batman0510
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by terrycs
That's interesting. I have PPF on both rear view mirrors with no issues. No noise from passenger side?
No noise from the passenger side. Only the driver's side which makes this very odd. I was told by the service advisor and the accessory installation lead that this is very common with the 2013/2014 GS350s and taking the driver's side off resolves the issue majority of the time. Mine is one piece per mirror so I didn't have the option of removing the lower or upper first.
Old 12-28-13, 12:19 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is this with lexus film of aftermarket? I have PPF on mine, and nothing, but then again the ML is on
Old 12-28-13, 05:09 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I remember jam33 thread on this as I observed the whistling when I test drove the GS. Pretty simple fix!
Old 12-28-13, 08:04 AM
terrycs
Instructor

No noise from the passenger side. Only the driver's side which makes this very odd. I was told by the service advisor and the accessory installation lead that this is very common with the 2013/2014 GS350s and taking the driver's side off resolves the issue majority of the time. Mine is one piece per mirror so I didn't have the option of removing the lower or upper first.
My ppf kit is the 2 piece pattern. I wonder if it really makes a difference? Like you said, 1 piece pattern seems to be hit or miss since no noise from the other side.
Old 12-29-13, 02:24 PM
batman0510
Driver School Candidate

This is the factory PPF and was installed by dealer using high quality film. My local Lexus dealer is still installing the PPF on the GS models but just omitting the driver's side mirror. Kind of crazy but they said they will keep me informed once they have an update or better alternative to protect my driver's side mirror.
Old 12-30-13, 10:51 AM
terrycs
Instructor

This is the factory PPF and was installed by dealer using high quality film. My local Lexus dealer is still installing the PPF on the GS models but just omitting the driver's side mirror. Kind of crazy but they said they will keep me informed once they have an update or better alternative to protect my driver's side mirror.
Other than the top surface of the rear bumper, I don't think there is a factory PPF for our cars. Virtually all dealers outsource their PPF installations.
The following users liked this post:
Brodad (12-05-16)
Old 02-14-14, 05:03 PM
keshav13
Driver School Candidate

Default The same paint protection film issue

The same whistling problem occurred to me and coming to think of it it must have started after installing the paint protection film (PPF) .
I am glad I found this thread otherwise I don't think I would have been able to pin point the issue to the dealership.
On the first attempt the got the whole window liner replaced thinking that was the issue. Whistling or squealing noise started as the car approached 60mph and stayed on at higher speeds. It can hear it louder on top of the wind when I pulled down the window. After reading this thread I folded the mirror in while it was producing the noise and that stopped it altogether. So I am quite sure it is the aerodynamics caused by the PPF. I think the driver's side is s the one that produces the noise because of the angle it is normally positioned at.
I have a 2013 GS350 and the issue is being addressed at the Lexus dealership currently.
Old 02-15-14, 07:47 PM
batman0510
Driver School Candidate

Keshav13, you are correct. This whistling noise only occurs on the driver's side with PPF. I also folded the driver's side mirror and concluded that it was something on the mirror that was causing it. No more noise since the PPF was only removed from the driver's mirror.
Old 02-16-14, 02:32 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PPF is not used in Europe.
Old 02-18-14, 04:51 PM
johnnyk
Driver School Candidate

I dropped off my car at the dealer because of the wind noise on the driver side and got it back today. BTW i have no PPF on my car. They simply replaced my driver side mirror assembly and now NO MORE Wind noise. PROBLEM SOLVED!
Old 02-23-14, 12:57 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnyk
I dropped off my car at the dealer because of the wind noise on the driver side and got it back today. BTW i have no PPF on my car. They simply replaced my driver side mirror assembly and now NO MORE Wind noise. PROBLEM SOLVED!
This actually would make sense. A missfitting in sealing that enbales wind tunneling because assembly is not in the right order. But what did they do? Can you ask them for a discription? My dealer is a bit slow here and Probably getting helped is not this bad. I tried folding the mirror while driving and it did take away the winds turbulance noise.
Old 11-25-16, 09:56 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I just bought a new 2017 ES, and the car had the paint protection film, including on the mirrors. When I was driving home with the car and when I got up to highway speeds, I immediately heard the same annoying high pitched whistling sound described by others here. If I had not remembered reading threads like this one in the past, I probably would have spent weeks trying to figure out the source of the whistling sound.

As soon as the paint protection film was removed from the driver's side mirror, the sound was completely gone. I'm assuming that it is the case that the aerodynamics on these cars are designed with such precision that even the relatively thin protection film can throw off the aerodynamics and air flow by enough to create whistling sound.

It is also curious that, to get rid of the sound, the film only needs to be removed from the driver's side mirror and not the passenger side mirror. I suspect that the reason is that, to be viewed from the driver's seat, the passenger side mirror is mounted at a different angle from the angle of the driver's side mirror.