GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Eco, Normal, Sport, Sport+ same crap

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-13, 11:50 AM
jucytec
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Eco, Normal, Sport, Sport+ same crap

can some one do a side by side, 0-60/100 in all 4 modes of driving?

Eco, Normal, Sport, Sport+?

Must be WOT the entire time...
I have a theory that it'll all put out the same time.
Old 12-05-13, 12:06 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

It's more about disabling the A/c to save fuel, firming up the suspension, or tightening the throttle response. Sport + might yield best, and eco might be the lowest because the engine is programmed to delay it's response timing some.
Old 12-05-13, 12:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by jucytec
can some one do a side by side, 0-60/100 in all 4 modes of driving?

Eco, Normal, Sport, Sport+?

Must be WOT the entire time...
I have a theory that it'll all put out the same time.
You're absolutely correct, all the different modes do is change the throttle/shift mapping around and in Eco mode there are changes in how the HVAC system works, in Sport there are changes to the steering feel, Sport S+ there are changes to the suspension damping. WOT 0-60 is going to be the same.
Old 12-05-13, 01:27 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You're absolutely correct, all the different modes do is change the throttle/shift mapping around and in Eco mode there are changes in how the HVAC system works, in Sport there are changes to the steering feel, Sport S+ there are changes to the suspension damping. WOT 0-60 is going to be the same.
Do you feel a differences in your lux package going from Normal to Sport + in terms of steering stiffness? I don't feel a difference at all.
Old 12-05-13, 02:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I feel the difference. Its subtle, but if you're on a twisty road or an offramp or something you can definitely feel that it corners flatter and the suspension is tuned more firmly. You can also feel heavier weighting in the steering and the throttle mapping is different, holds gears much longer, etc.

If you're just driving down the road you won't feel much difference.
Old 12-05-13, 07:05 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually I've seen a big difference with Eco on the highway. On low grade hills it'll drop a few mph and stay that way until you crest the hill. My G35 held the same gear and RPMs no matter what once I set the cruise...never hunted and never lost speed (of course it was geared very low and would run 2800rpm in 5th gear at 70mph while guzzling gas).

The GS in "Normal" and other modes will hold the speed. Eco is happy to let you lose a few mph on cruise control here and there to save fuel. It's a strange sensation to me and I avoid Eco on the highway now. I mainly use it in city driving when I'm relaxed.
Old 12-06-13, 08:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I put mine in Eco mode once. Once.
Old 12-06-13, 12:15 PM
jucytec
Rookie

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Actually I've seen a big difference with Eco on the highway. On low grade hills it'll drop a few mph and stay that way until you crest the hill. My G35 held the same gear and RPMs no matter what once I set the cruise...never hunted and never lost speed (of course it was geared very low and would run 2800rpm in 5th gear at 70mph while guzzling gas).

The GS in "Normal" and other modes will hold the speed. Eco is happy to let you lose a few mph on cruise control here and there to save fuel. It's a strange sensation to me and I avoid Eco on the highway now. I mainly use it in city driving when I'm relaxed.
I'd say you misread my post...

i was asking 0-60 WOT,
i'm well aware what each mode was designed to do... S modes just keeps the torque converter at the power band that'll generate the most torque... those who drive stick would do this as a second nature anyway if they spent some time wasting tires on the tracks...

One of the top gear episodes... (the British one and not the dumb American knock off) Jeremy had the Stig drive a car in eco, normal and Sport modes on the same track...

granted it wasn't a lexus but I think we'd all agree these driving modes work about the same....

the track times was all similar, and ECO, actually came out the fastest by some fractions of a second...

so never mind my straight line WOT theory, i think these driving modes are more of a selling point.

The only thing that does make a difference is actually shutting off traction control entirely... i tried to drift my car almost every morning coming into my work for a few months... very hard to do in AWD.... have to turn the traction control off completely which you can only to fully stopped and traction control button held for 5 seconds or something... dash will read TRAC OFF along with the traction icon...

so far going close to 50 while pavement is wet was the only way I could get it drift. any faster and it gets pretty scary...
Old 12-06-13, 12:33 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Not sure about the times but I do feel the car is more responsive in S+ esp during acceleration. You may be right though. I remember seeing a youtube where they compare the three different models of new IS. If I remember correctly, the luxury model has a better track time than the F Sport.
Old 12-07-13, 09:07 PM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is definitely flatter and tighter in Sport S+, but that doesn't necessarily translate into faster cornering. It's just a different feel. If I leave it in Sport S+ on a rough surface street passengers can tell.
Old 12-19-13, 12:51 PM
brn2rnjk1
Driver

So will Eco save MPG in city driving. My dealer said better savings if on the highway and not much in city.
Old 12-19-13, 03:33 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brn2rnjk1
So will Eco save MPG in city driving. My dealer said better savings if on the highway and not much in city.
Page 265 of the manual: "Use Eco mode to help achieve low fuel consumption during trips that involve frequent accelerating."

I take that to mean city driving.
Old 12-19-13, 06:33 PM
Nismo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

The throttle mapping is tied to the mode in what I believe is a fairly simple way. In NORMAL, if you demand 50% throttle, via the throttle pedal, then you get 50% throttle. In ECO, you'd only get 25%. And in SPORT and SPORT+ you'd get 75%. The actual numbers are different than what I've just stated, but you get the idea. When you're in SPORT/SPORT+, the throttle feels more responsive. In ECO, it feels less responsive. However, in all cases, if you demand 100% then you will get 100% throttle, so I don't think the 0-60 MPH times will be any different between the various modes. I will test all the modes, one after another, as soon as Harry's Lap Timer adds 0-60 MPH testing capability. SPORT (not SPORT+) may have a slight edge due to better weight transfer, but I doubt it'll be enough to show up in the 0-60 results. In any case, I'll report back later.

STREET DRIVING
If your're an average person--and that includes off-duty race car drivers, then we'll just keep it in NORMAL. If you're really concerned about that extra ~1 MPG, then drive in ECO. If you're feeling frisky, drive in SPORT or SPORT+. BTW, one complaint of mine is how we can't change the settings individually. Personally, for street driving, I prefer the tighter steering, faster throttle response, and increased suspension damping of SPORT+, but am annoyed that the transmission holds gears so long after a 'healthy' acceleration (great for the track, not so great for the street). I wish we could select the settings (steering, suspension, transmission, and throttle mapping) individually instead of as a package deal only.

DRAG RACING
If anything, because ECO, NORMAL, and SPORT (but not SPORT+) all keep the suspension settings soft, you get more weight transfer to the rear, resulting in a slightly better launch. So for drag racing, you'll want NORMAL or SPORT (but not SPORT+).

ROAD RACING
At a road course track, you'll definitely want either SPORT or SPORT+ because the shifts are quicker, and it holds gears longer. The last thing you want the car to do in the middle of a lengthy medium-to-high speed sweeper in 3rd gear is for the car to switch to 4th, 5th, or 6th gear in the middle of the corner! Because of the increased weight transfer in SPORT mode, in the rain you might be better off in SPORT than SPORT+. The opposite applies in the dry, where you'll want to stick to SPORT+.

BOTTOM LINE
- If you're worried about fuel economy then drive in ECO. It won't help much on the highway, but might net you an extra ~1 mpg around town.
- For most people, drive in NORMAL when driving around town.
- At the track in the rain, or on the street anytime you're feeling frisky, drive in SPORT.
- At the track in the dry, or on the street anytime you're' feeling frisky in the dry, drive in SPORT+.
Old 12-19-13, 07:32 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo
STREET DRIVING
If your're an average person--and that includes off-duty race car drivers, then we'll just keep it in NORMAL. If you're really concerned about that extra ~1 MPG, then drive in ECO. If you're feeling frisky, drive in SPORT or SPORT+. BTW, one complaint of mine is how we can't change the settings individually. Personally, for street driving, I prefer the tighter steering, faster throttle response, and increased suspension damping of SPORT+, but am annoyed that the transmission holds gears so long after a 'healthy' acceleration (great for the track, not so great for the street). I wish we could select the settings (steering, suspension, transmission, and throttle mapping) individually instead of as a package deal only.
Totally agree with you on this. I love the tighter steering and flatter cornering in Sport+ mode but hate the way the car hangs onto the gears for so long. The perfect combo would be Normal gearing and Sport+ suspension and steering. I drive in Normal 90% of the time. It seems to be the best compromise, and after a few minutes in Eco it feels great.
Old 12-20-13, 05:48 AM
jucytec
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nismo
I will test all the modes, one after another, as soon as Harry's Lap Timer adds 0-60 MPH testing capability. SPORT (not SPORT+) may have a slight edge due to better weight transfer, but I doubt it'll be enough to show up in the 0-60 results. In any case, I'll report back later.
Nismo,

you are ef'ing man.

Quick Reply: Eco, Normal, Sport, Sport+ same crap