GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Unhappy with my remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-14, 11:36 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Unhappy with my remote starter

Dealer installed remote starter at the time of delivery. I am very disappointed, it only works when I am really close like 5-10ft.

Has anyone experienced that:? I dont know what they installed, all I know it works like this:

I have to click the LOCK button twice, then hold the LOCK button for 4 seconds.
Old 05-23-14, 12:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The Lexus remote starter sucks. Your experience is the same as mine and many others on here.
Old 05-23-14, 12:26 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The Lexus remote starter sucks. Your experience is the same as mine and many others on here.
yeah, I already figured this out. I am calling my dealer, I paid $500 for what?? Do you think I can get them un install it and get my $ back?
Old 05-23-14, 12:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I doubt it. Mine came installed already (still had a $500 charge on the sticker) and I've used it maybe twice in the 1.5 years I've had the car. The other big pain is the fact that the car shuts off when you open the door.

The remote starter in our Jeep works great and we use it all the time.
Old 05-23-14, 12:33 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I doubt it. Mine came installed already (still had a $500 charge on the sticker) and I've used it maybe twice in the 1.5 years I've had the car. The other big pain is the fact that the car shuts off when you open the door.

The remote starter in our Jeep works great and we use it all the time.
mine was installed,. So I spoke with a service manager, they wanted me to come out tomorr to look at it. I will update the results.

Last edited by FastTags; 05-23-14 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-23-14, 12:48 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they'll refund you. Look into viper again. (I know, I sound like I'm selling it lol) You can get just the module to start it with the key instead of the whole smartphone capable system. I can start the car with the factory remote equally as far as I can lock the car. As far as I know the Lexus RES has a shorter range than the actual keyfob so even if you press the lock button and the car locks, it may not be communicating with the RES module.
Old 05-23-14, 01:00 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yardie876
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they'll refund you. Look into viper again. (I know, I sound like I'm selling it lol) You can get just the module to start it with the key instead of the whole smartphone capable system. I can start the car with the factory remote equally as far as I can lock the car. As far as I know the Lexus RES has a shorter range than the actual keyfob so even if you press the lock button and the car locks, it may not be communicating with the RES module.
yeah, I saw one at the local tint shop, so I asked if they would installed it and how much, he said, We cant do it on your Lexus, its too complicated. ))))
Old 05-23-14, 01:04 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

does the Viper gets a new remote or I can use it with the Lexi OEM remote?
Old 05-23-14, 01:07 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
does the Viper gets a new remote or I can use it with the Lexi OEM remote?
That's odd. My installer told me it was a relatively easy installation since the GS is remote start ready (RSR). I'd get a second opinion. Check for a preferred dealer on here: http://www.viper.com/WhereToBuy/

It does use the factory remote btw. Just three clicks of the lock button and it's on.
Old 05-23-14, 01:18 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

That's odd. My installer told me it was a relatively easy installation since the GS is remote start ready (RSR). I'd get a second opinion. Check for a preferred dealer on here: http://www.viper.com/WhereToBuy/

It does use the factory remote btw. Just three clicks of the lock button and it's on.
THank you. I am gonna try to get my $ back then go to preferred shop and install a viper module for $300 with $200 saving!
Old 05-23-14, 01:37 PM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Dealer installed audiovox that utilizes oem fob. Works ok but interesting to note that car will remote start with hood open. Seems to me a serious safety issue.
Old 05-23-14, 01:49 PM
r2xj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a lot of people here have had a bad experience with remote start, but I use mine from the other side of my brick walled house, and have even been able to use it from the other side of a really old lath and plaster/cinderblock house. I have enjoyed having it.
Old 05-23-14, 03:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Is it your first car with remote start? I think I would be happy with it if I didn't already have a car with a better remote start.
Old 05-23-14, 03:00 PM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

What is make model of your remote start?
Old 05-23-14, 03:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Mine? I have the OEM remote start in the GS and in a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Quick Reply: Unhappy with my remote starter