GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Windshield is extra fragile

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 12:43 PM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Glass on my '11 Genesis was same. Very easily pitted or marked up. Maybe something to do with the acoustical layering.
Old 05-21-14, 11:56 PM
Siamese
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
At my dealer they have this option for $700 and you can replace as many windshields as you get cracked for 2y I think. There might be some rules that apply I dont know for sure, anyway, I was told that they would replace with the OEM glass
At my dealership they offered this product. Insured via this dealer for a window replacement or repairs as well. Handy dandy.

DIAMON-FUSION
http://www.redlineap.ca/index.php?sr...&category=Main
Old 03-03-16, 03:58 PM
telseg
Driver School Candidate

Default 2015 ES 350 Windshield Crack

I bought my car new and only had it for 9 months. I was driving on the parkway when I heard something hit my windshield. I looked around it didn't notice anything at first, but after parking my car I gave it a good look over and noticed a 6" long vertical crack on the [passenger side of the windshield. It started at the top of the windshield and ran down vertically. The point of impact was at the very top of the windshield on the darkened border just below the seal. It really looked like nothing and I was able to brush away most of it to a barely noticeable pinpoint chip. I was surprised by the size of the crack this little thing caused. I have had many windshield impacts over the years on other cars with no cracking or little hairline fractures. Never anything like this. Now reading through these forums I'm afraid to go to Safelite to have this done. Too many storied about inferior products or service. I use Geico and they allow me to choose Safelite or an alternative from a list they provide. Lexus happens to be on the list so I will look to choose them. I will get pricing tomorrow to see if Geico will cover complete cost if Lexus does it.
Old 03-03-16, 05:53 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by telseg
I'm afraid to go to Safelite to have this done. Too many storied about inferior products or service. I use Geico and they allow me to choose Safelite or an alternative from a list they provide. Lexus happens to be on the list so I will look to choose them. I will get pricing tomorrow to see if Geico will cover complete cost if Lexus does it.
Good choice. I used Safelite one time and have regretted it ever since . I would NEVER use them again.
Old 03-04-16, 12:39 AM
Bj(CA)
Driver

hmm i have my windshield tinted 70%, but now i feel like i need to get the outside tinted clear
Old 03-04-16, 08:11 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

About two weeks ago, I left on a business trip. On the way to the airport, it was snowing and the salt trucks were out. I heard something hit the windshield and was like oh shiet. Didn't see anything so went about my business and parked my car in the garage for my trip.

Come back about 4 days later, pull out the stall and hit the brakes. I noticed a huge crack right in my line of site. I parked and inspected my windshield, didn't see any evidence of a rock chip. The crack went from edge to the middle.

I ended up trying to claim under warranty by bringing it to the dealer. The service director at lexus originally tried to say he felt a chip when running his pen along the crack. He then went to get a flashlight to show me. Under the light there was nothing. He found a spot very close to the edge and said he thought it was there. I said I don't see anything. He relented and told the tech to order a new windshield and it'd be covered under warranty. Thank god.

FWIW, on the paperwork it says stress crack.

But i have to retint my windshield. They wouldn't cover that. Oh well. i wonder if there's any cons against cover the outside, aside from the wear and tear of weather (rain water, car wash water getting under)