GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Navigation Maps/Firmware/Gracenotes Updates

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-13, 05:41 PM
JAM
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Navigation Maps/Firmware/Gracenotes Updates

Listen up everyone. First, Navigation Map updates for version 2013 are available at the dealers. This update does include a firmware update as well as Gracenote update. Second, the firmware update for Eyes OFF Siri available on 2014 models so you can respond to text messages and email by using your Iphone and the Lexus System is currently not available for our 2013 Lexus GS. Our computers can handle this new system by simply adding the software and firmware that goes with the Siri. Lexus and Apple make an agreement (money involved, of course) to put this feature on beginning with the 2014 models and forward. BUT, my Lexus contact who is the guru with the technology department for Lexus wants us to sit tight because pressure is coming from us to allow this feature with our 2013 models. AND, Lexus is monitoring this forum and have heard our complaints on this issue. SO, call customer service and request this serious update for our Lexus 2013 GS and maybe we can have early part of 2014. Keep writing on this forum about this issue. Why do you think Lexus put electronic folding mirrors and auto trunk closing on the 2014 like they had on generation three.

Stay tune.
Old 11-13-13, 06:23 PM
Vulaj
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nicely said! So the update DOES include a firmware update...LOL my dealership said it does NOT. Any patch notes or anything?
Old 11-14-13, 06:37 AM
JAM
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

No notes on updates but my dealer in Cherry Hill, NJ siad update only for maps. WRONG. LOL. Lexus Corporation said updates include maps, firmware and gracenote.
Old 11-15-13, 06:05 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Has anyone installed the 2013 MAPS yet? Can you please post a picture of the Software Version screen? Would be interested if the random slow start-up was fixed and if the voice commands were extended.

thx
Old 11-15-13, 09:28 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

They need to offer this update with a maps upgrade. The 13 model year was so long and some of us recently bought in. While I'd like power mirrors and trunk, I can make due without. Siri should be a simple yes and they negotiate with apple to allow one year back to be included if hardware is the same.

Thanks for the update.
Old 11-16-13, 11:58 AM
teuhl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use my iPhone Siri for calls in my 2013GS 350 versus the crap voice commands. Lexus should be embarrassed with the command system on this car. I vote for the upgrade now not later.
Old 11-29-13, 07:26 PM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

I would like to be able to respond to text messages.
Old 12-02-13, 09:41 PM
mirza
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

have to agree. the voice commands are worse than on a 10 year old german.
Maps need to go to perspective mode too.
My wife cant enter the address while I am driving, I cant talk to the navigation because voice control sucks and they want money for destination assist.
The first gen I drive worked better for me
Old 12-03-13, 11:34 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The maps upgrade came out a month after I bought my car (2013 GS 350 FSport, loaded). I kinda feel entitled to that at least. Gracenote should stream via the Enform smartphone app but I guess they like doing things the hard way.

Siri? Meh, no iPhone, but I see why iPhone owners want it. Especially since the car is technically able to handle it so it's not a "you have the wrong bits in the dash" problem.
Old 12-03-13, 02:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Voice assist works fine for me entering addresses for the most part
Old 12-03-13, 04:35 PM
philj
Driver

I just bought my 2013 and I wish I had Siri.

My new car is great. In so many ways Lexus is a great company. In some ways they are short sited.

The Navigation on the 13 is better in some ways than the the 09 I drove in the past but some little things were removed.

If with a little work Lexus could give us better features I think they should want to do it. Make the loyal clients happy when possible.

Honestly when I left Mercedes I expected my Lexus to be a better Nav unit but it was not. i still like the car better. I hope they allow us to upgrade. I would be happy to pay.
Old 12-09-13, 04:27 AM
philj
Driver

I read the manual cover to cover. I encourage you to do this you'll get a lot of good ideas and there are lots of features that are useful and helpful.

My new car is nice and I'm glad I bought it. It's unfortunate that Lexus or Toyota or whichever entity is making the design decisions don't organize a focus group to ask people for their ideas. Little things like when something is in the cup holder it's hard to tune the radio.

In my 2009 I could scan through the radio stations from the dash. But in the new car it's three clicks on the joystick to scan. Then again maybe I'm the only one who likes to scan through the stations

In the 2009 you could scan through the type of satellite radio stations. If I want to scan jazz stations I could just touch a button on the dashboard and go up or down through the jazz stations., Same with classical same with rock but you can't do that in the new car without using the joystick.

You now have 36 preset stations but it's really hard to navigate to them unless you use the joystick. It's too bad there's not a voice command for those precepts.

But this forum is supposed to be about navigation.

Here are some things I noticed:

If you're using Bing to find someplace through your apps you can't use your phone for anything else so in my opinion that makes the apps suite worthless or pretty much worthless. Also, you can't do a search except within very narrow criteria.

I will say this, destination assist is tremendous. It makes up for any inadequacies of the navigation or voice commands. You call someone tell them where you want to go they downloaded to your car in just a few seconds and you can click go.

That's what I plan to use in the future more and more.

The radio interface still doesn't work right but just like typing class in the future of get used to it

It seems that there are so many of us who are loyal Lexus customers I wish the company would reach out to us for our ideas rather than just decide what to do on their own. It's like me telling my wife where we are going on vacation without asking her opinion.
Old 01-09-16, 11:16 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus listened, they heard loud and clear, and they still decided to throw the middle finger up to 2013 owners on many things.
If they think it will force me to buy a 2015, they are wrong, I will deal with the few glitches until its worn out, like my 98 GS with 275K miles...then, I will look for a new ride, might be a Lex, might not.

But...next time I test a new car, I will know to look for stupid little things, such as does the song restart from the beginning when you turn car off, or restart from where you left off...and I will take 2 or 3 hours messing with EVERY setting to see if some of them make no sense or simply glitch...

Buyer Beware, but I didnt know what to "beware" of...having driven hundreds of different rental cars from every mfgr, I never expected Lexus to have some of the issues they did...I guess I expected them to at least be on par with say Ford.

But looking at a lot of replies, especially to the thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...so-poor-7.html

Lexus gets away with it because the generation of buyers now days is used to buying new iPhones every year, and they dont seem to care abut glitches or shortfalls...they will simply roll the car over to a new lease in 2 years because car ownership is going down the drain...so...why should Lex or any car mfgr care that much...move on, next please.

The rest of the car, engine, power, interior etc is so nice and performing...mated to a junk system modeled after a really buggy BWM iDrive model. :-( I digress.
Old 01-09-16, 12:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Dude...we've heard repeatedly across many threads your opinion on this. Its enough.
Old 01-12-16, 11:18 AM
Renrutjw
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Dude...we've heard repeatedly across many threads your opinion on this. Its enough.
Says the dude with 11,831 post in less than 4 years...

Quick Reply: Navigation Maps/Firmware/Gracenotes Updates