GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Sales people

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 12:47 PM
Lexman19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sales people

It is amazing sometimes how uneducated sales people are about the product they sell for a living. I have visited three dealers to discuss and see a 2014 GS luxury model. In each dealership the sales person told me there were " no differences" between a 2013 and a 2014. They didn't know of the 8 speed transmission, the power trunk option on the lux model, folding mirrors, etc. A couple guys said they would research their inventory and call back-they don't even do that. How do they expect to sell them? There do not seem to be many 2014's out there yet.
Old 11-07-13, 12:54 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Sometimes they'll play dumb so they can entice you into buying the 2013s they have left over.
Old 11-07-13, 01:39 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Cars.com lists (695) 2014 GS350s in the USA, right now (11/7/13). Yeah, I'd say not too many dealers have an abundance of stock just yet.
Old 11-07-13, 02:01 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some are smart and know their product. However, they are minority and not the norm. I agree with your frustration though. When I go in and I start to realize I know more about the car than the sales guy does, his role shifts. I either cut them loose or I explain to them I am selling myself on the product and it will be their job to make it simply a numbers game should I decide to buy.

Occasionally though, you do run into some that give you the full package and that is a rarity more and more these days.
Old 11-07-13, 02:05 PM
RLGS300
Lead Lap

I found a similar problem with the lack of knowledge in the product they were trying to sell. I also didn't like that many that promised to call back after they checked their inventory, never actually called back.
Old 11-07-13, 04:00 PM
flippd
Driver

Yeah, these days it seems like the salesman's job is to make it HARDER for me to buy a car. I know what I want, and I know exactly how much it's worth which is fair for you and me.
Old 11-07-13, 04:41 PM
Vulaj
Driver

I know exactly what you're talking about and that's even talking about the 2013 which I just purchased which has been out for months now LOL...they don't know simple things about the vehicle..this one sales manager at Lexus or Clearwater told me the GS has the same amount of room as the is and that I should go with the IS..I'm thinking in my head "dude I just sold my IS I can tell there's plenty more room compared to the damn IS..are you mentally retarded?

I am sick of sales people thank god I don't have to deal with them for a long long time *knock on wood*
Old 11-07-13, 06:47 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vulaj
I know exactly what you're talking about and that's even talking about the 2013 which I just purchased which has been out for months now LOL...they don't know simple things about the vehicle..this one sales manager at Lexus or Clearwater told me the GS has the same amount of room as the is and that I should go with the IS..I'm thinking in my head "dude I just sold my IS I can tell there's plenty more room compared to the damn IS..are you mentally retarded?

I am sick of sales people thank god I don't have to deal with them for a long long time *knock on wood*
If there was the same amount of room, I would be driving an IS and have saved a "few" Ks
Old 11-07-13, 06:50 PM
MoparMan
Rookie

sales people are morons. They have no idea what they are talking about unless its the best model they offer, all they want is the comission of your sale, and they think they know more than you. I cant tell you how many times Ive gone to dealerships as a consultant or mechanic for my friends (unknowingly) to the salesperson, and they had no idea what they talked about. Even when I went to look at the new Nissan GT-R that the place by me just got, no one had any idea and wouldnt help me because I knew more about it then them.

And they want the comission on the newer model, not the year previous. The company head and managers of the dealerships and manufactuers want the newer ones to sell to help out. Older models dont pay off the newer model expense and R&D, thats why when new ones roll out, old ones get discounted like crazy. If he said no difference between the new and old, he is clueless.
Old 11-07-13, 09:34 PM
msp713
Driver

Wholeheartedly agree with all of you guys. I've been to 6 different dealerships here in SoCal and I knew more about the 2014GS than all of the salespeople which was frustrating. A couple dealers did try to push the 2013's but the others genuinely didn't know about the options and I had to show them the US Press Release from Lexus.

That aside, this forum has been awesome and has really helped me out with this buying experience. I can't wait to drive down to Lexus San Diego Saturday morning and get my new GS
Old 11-07-13, 10:34 PM
D2121
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by msp713
Wholeheartedly agree with all of you guys. I've been to 6 different dealerships here in SoCal and I knew more about the 2014GS than all of the salespeople which was frustrating. A couple dealers did try to push the 2013's but the others genuinely didn't know about the options and I had to show them the US Press Release from Lexus.

That aside, this forum has been awesome and has really helped me out with this buying experience. I can't wait to drive down to Lexus San Diego Saturday morning and get my new GS
I had a experience similar to yours!
Old 11-08-13, 12:14 AM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

Agree with majority of you guys. Most sales people do not know or understand the car they are selling. They assume everyone that comes onto their lots don't know as much about cars as they do. Which is why I refuse to step on their lots and rather sit behind my computer making phone calls and emails.
Old 11-08-13, 06:44 AM
TyGreeny
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MoparMan
sales people are morons. They have no idea what they are talking about unless its the best model they offer, all they want is the comission of your sale, and they think they know more than you. I cant tell you how many times Ive gone to dealerships as a consultant or mechanic for my friends (unknowingly) to the salesperson, and they had no idea what they talked about. Even when I went to look at the new Nissan GT-R that the place by me just got, no one had any idea and wouldnt help me because I knew more about it then them.

And they want the comission on the newer model, not the year previous. The company head and managers of the dealerships and manufactuers want the newer ones to sell to help out. Older models dont pay off the newer model expense and R&D, thats why when new ones roll out, old ones get discounted like crazy. If he said no difference between the new and old, he is clueless.
As a salesperson myself, I can say there is a lot of ignorance in this post.
Old 11-08-13, 08:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by TyGreeny
As a salesperson myself, I can say there is a lot of ignorance in this post.
I'm also a salesperson, and I agree but there is a kernel of truth here. As someone who is a really good salesperson I understand that my job actually is to help customers determine and find what the best product is for them, and you cannot do that if you don't understand the product. I have very little tolerance for salespeople who don't understand the product.

I think there are several reasons why we see this problem with car salespeople today:

1. Its REALLY hard to make a good living selling cars today. The internet has robbed them of their negotiating strength and position, consumers want cars for nothing, and feel like they are owed all of the profit in a car given back to them. You'd be shocked how little a car salesperson may make on a given sale, especially one of the deals we talk about on the forum.

Because of that, competent and passionate salespeople sell things where they can make profit. Sales is an incredibly lucrative profession if someone is good and is selling the right products. Car salespeople today largely are more in line with someone you'd find selling shoes.

2. Dealerships will hire anybody, and don't train anybody.

If I were selling cars I'd be on places like this learning everything I can...but then they couldn't afford me.
Old 11-08-13, 04:22 PM
flippd
Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I'm also a salesperson, and I agree but there is a kernel of truth here. As someone who is a really good salesperson I understand that my job actually is to help customers determine and find what the best product is for them, and you cannot do that if you don't understand the product. I have very little tolerance for salespeople who don't understand the product.

I think there are several reasons why we see this problem with car salespeople today:

1. Its REALLY hard to make a good living selling cars today. The internet has robbed them of their negotiating strength and position, consumers want cars for nothing, and feel like they are owed all of the profit in a car given back to them. You'd be shocked how little a car salesperson may make on a given sale, especially one of the deals we talk about on the forum.

Because of that, competent and passionate salespeople sell things where they can make profit. Sales is an incredibly lucrative profession if someone is good and is selling the right products. Car salespeople today largely are more in line with someone you'd find selling shoes.

2. Dealerships will hire anybody, and don't train anybody.

If I were selling cars I'd be on places like this learning everything I can...but then they couldn't afford me.
I think a good salesperson is worth their weight in gold, or at least an extra 500-1K above market value for a car

That being said, why do all the car salesmen I see drive around in luxury cars? I know these guys get lots of discounts, but still I'm thinking their salaries can't be that bad if they still are able to afford those cars, and someone is getting ripped off.

Quick Reply: Sales people