GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Passanger Seat Shakes like crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 02:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by ioh789
Both of my driver and passenger headrests shake as well. I tried to put my head closer to the headrest, my head shakeed like a crazy woman too (it was on a highway).
Thats crazy....mine doesn't do that.
Old 10-09-13, 03:14 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both of my driver and passenger headrests shake as well. I tried to put my head closer to the headrest, my head shakeed like a crazy woman too (it was on a highway).
I had same issue with defective tires causing vibrations on the highway. Both seats still shake a bit. Now it's smooth at all speeds. I have gs fsport. you might not realize this but your tires might be out of balance or defective.
Old 10-09-13, 08:33 PM
ioh789
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
I had same issue with defective tires causing vibrations on the highway. Both seats still shake a bit. Now it's smooth at all speeds. I have gs fsport. you might not realize this but your tires might be out of balance or defective.
Did you go to a dealer and ask them to fix it for you? how exactly did you find out it was the tires problem?
Old 10-10-13, 12:30 PM
advan34i
Rookie

I only have 500 miles and its shaking...I doubt it tires or the bolts needs tightening. will let u guys know when I bring in the car this weekend.
Old 10-10-13, 07:32 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you go to a dealer and ask them to fix it for you? how exactly did you find out it was the tires problem?
Lexus dealers and many car dealers have the hunter road force balancing system which is very expensive machine that should be used on low profile rims/tires to make sure that they are balanced properly. Also the machine rolls a 1000 lbs roller against the wheel/tire and moves against it to measure the roundness of the tire/rim while its spinning on the balancer. This will make sure that are are no bad spots to the tires and no out of roundness to the rims. Then it will dynamically balance it.

This machine has found about 10 out of round tires on my luxury cars (lexus, bmw, mercedes, and audi) in the past 5 years in my family. We had slight vibrations with bad set of tires and brands on all of these cars at some point (rather when the car came from factory or with replacing worn set of tires with new ones). This saved me tons of headaches. As long as the mechanic is experienced and knows the hunter road force machine very well over the conventional balancing systems.
I also had this machine detect few bents rims and had the rims replaced to solve minor vibrations at certain speeds.

I keep my road force numbers (total in pounds (lbs) below 10lbs for luxury cars and below 18 lbs for SUVs. If you are sensitive to slight shakes at certain speeds especially on the highways, you want to tell your dealer to make sure that the total assembly is below the numbers I mentioned above. Most luxury car companies have their own cut off.

If the assembly exerts more than 10-15 lbs onto the roller on the machine, then it will hop per one revolution when your car goes down the road (up and down) because its not perfectly round. As you go faster it will vibrate the car. So they will rematch the tire to the rim to make it rounder or they will replace the bad tire or rim. The machine will guide them. This is a great equipment.

I have no vibration on any of my cars from low profile rims/tires when getting the new tires balanced on the OEM rims or aftermarket rims when using this machine. Sometimes it has to be rebalanced or a tire may have to be replaced if its near the upper limit of the road force or out of spec. Tire companies will replace bad tires from uniformity defect in the first 1 year or 2/10 inch depth.
Old 10-11-13, 09:43 AM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My passenger seat shook as well. It was annoying since I could hear it shaking. I feel it has nothing to do with tire balancing. I had two sets of wheels that were road force balanced and it still shook. Just another reason I unloaded the car after 6 months.
Old 10-11-13, 03:49 PM
advan34i
Rookie

Originally Posted by MKIV98TT
My passenger seat shook as well. It was annoying since I could hear it shaking. I feel it has nothing to do with tire balancing. I had two sets of wheels that were road force balanced and it still shook. Just another reason I unloaded the car after 6 months.
did you ever report the problem to the dealership?
Old 10-17-13, 10:44 PM
ioh789
Driver School Candidate

Any updates for those who went to lexus?
Old 10-18-13, 10:10 AM
advan34i
Rookie

Any updates for those who went to lexus?
havent had a chance, wanted to drop it off last week but they told me i had to wait there, and if its a "lexus" problem then i can get a loaner. with my schedule its hard for me to just "wait" there.
Old 10-18-13, 10:10 AM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by advan34i
did you ever report the problem to the dealership?
Yes, reported twice. 1st time no problem was found. 2nd time was adjusted and tightened. That did not make a difference.
Old 10-18-13, 10:55 AM
advan34i
Rookie

Originally Posted by MKIV98TT
Yes, reported twice. 1st time no problem was found. 2nd time was adjusted and tightened. That did not make a difference.
i wonder if lexus ever view the forums to see people's problems/complaints...
Old 10-20-13, 09:10 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I have an RX350 and my passenger seat does it too, so im guessing its not just a GS350 thing. It's lexus in general.
Old 10-20-13, 09:28 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I actually have a Sequoia that the passenger seat shakes pretty violently. I was sitting right behind it and only then I realized how bad it was. My mom was in it and she didn't complain about it though so I'm guessing it's not noticeable while in the seat.
Old 10-21-13, 08:01 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yardie876
I actually have a Sequoia that the passenger seat shakes pretty violently. I was sitting right behind it and only then I realized how bad it was. My mom was in it and she didn't complain about it though so I'm guessing it's not noticeable while in the seat.
that's what happens with mine, if someone is sitting in the passenger seat it's fine, but if i'm riding by myself, then it's an issue.
Old 10-21-13, 09:26 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by puckhead85
that's what happens with mine, if someone is sitting in the passenger seat it's fine, but if i'm riding by myself, then it's an issue.
Same here.

Quick Reply: Passanger Seat Shakes like crazy?