GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

You chose Gs350F instead of IS350F...why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 10:25 PM
Khenson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GS was nicer in & out: I (and occasional passengers) appreciate the roomier interior, and I think the body design is much cleaner. I'm not a fan of the big flimsy mesh grill on the IS.
Old 10-03-13, 06:45 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

GS350 because life isn't a race track. GS is a tad roomier, more refined, better interior and has a more mature look.
Old 10-03-13, 07:30 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a GS F Sport with all the options including rear steer, ML, and HUD. Without comparison, the car is nimble and carves the roads without issue. I'm also 6'3 and the IS is cramped.

The IS is only 7 inches shorter and 200lbs lighter. But the interior feels great on the IS if I were still in my early 20s. But I like the refinement and features of the GS better. Now the 0-60 on the GS is faster because of the 6 speed tranny. But a rolling start will favor the 8 speed. And the '14 models gain the 8 in F sport variant RWD. I also didn't like the gauges on the IS F sport. It seems to cheapen the LFA style and the steering controls look childish. Plus the car is more planted being wider and longer on the GS. IS is too squirreley if you really throw it around and I used to be a cop so I've tested the handling on both with my salesman who was also a former LEO.

If you have the $$$ and the maturity, the GS seems like it would be a better all around. Plus I'm sure you can get a steal on a '13 model right now. The IS won't show as much of a discount. Let us know what you decide.
Old 10-03-13, 09:14 AM
advan34i
Rookie

you cant go wrong with either cars. the GS has most luxury functions than the IS. theyre different class cars like most pointed out.
Old 10-03-13, 02:57 PM
mj0723
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's see...

- Real leather seats in GS F Sport. NuLuxe seats for IS F Sport.
- 16-way power-adjustable driver seat for GS F Sport compared to 10-way in the IS F Sport.
- Parking sensors for GS F Sport. Not available on IS F Sport.
- Bigger interior and nav display in GS.
- Electrostatic touch-based control for IS F Sport. Regular control on GS F Sport.
- LFA-inspired gauge in IS F Sport. Regular gauge in GS F Sport.
- 8-speed transmission on RWD IS F Sport. 6-speed on RWD GS F Sport. (2013 Model ONLY)
- 19-inch wheels on GS F Sport. 18-inch wheels for IS F Sport.
- GS F Sport has wider tires and bigger brakes (all 4 tires)
- Memory seating system on GS F Sport. Not available on IS F Sport.
- Heated and ventilated front seats for GS F Sport. Heated front seats only for IS F Sport.
- Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column standard on GS F Sport. Not available on IS F Sport.
Old 10-03-13, 06:00 PM
Lsochs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
I purchased a GS F Sport with all the options including rear steer, ML, and HUD. Without comparison, the car is nimble and carves the roads without issue. I'm also 6'3 and the IS is cramped.

The IS is only 7 inches shorter and 200lbs lighter. But the interior feels great on the IS if I were still in my early 20s. But I like the refinement and features of the GS better. Now the 0-60 on the GS is faster because of the 6 speed tranny. But a rolling start will favor the 8 speed. And the '14 models gain the 8 in F sport variant RWD. I also didn't like the gauges on the IS F sport. It seems to cheapen the LFA style and the steering controls look childish. Plus the car is more planted being wider and longer on the GS. IS is too squirreley if you really throw it around and I used to be a cop so I've tested the handling on both with my salesman who was also a former LEO.

If you have the $$$ and the maturity, the GS seems like it would be a better all around. Plus I'm sure you can get a steal on a '13 model right now. The IS won't show as much of a discount. Let us know what you decide.
COMFORT
I had a second chance to test the IS350(not F sport) with my co-pilot, who definitely prefers the GS. That pretty much decides it. A test ride in a local 335i is what gave me sporty sedan fever. I am 6' and discovered today that the IS350 is far more comfortable in an F1(lazyboy completely reclined) mindset rather than minivan mindset(office chair upright). Doing the F1 recline obviated the little drivetrain hump behind my right foot. Like all compacts, the center console and my knee meet at very inconsiderate angle. I'd get used to it. Easily the GS is more comfortable.

On the other hand, the GS F SPort doesn't have the same ventilated seats as the Luxury model GS my better half so likes, yet she appreciates the Gs F Sport more than the IS350.So I have co-pilot clearing on the GS F Sport.

PACKAGE
Winters for me mean AWD version fo the FSport. Hmmm, rear steering as an option?
CARTAGE
Well, this one hasn't been answered in 2013 or 2014 GS Models. The rear seats dont fold. I can use my minivan for musical equipment cartage. I admit the GS's extra cabin space is more considerate of me when it comes to the family. If I foresee carseats, suitcases, media players, stuffed animals, three loaded back packs for school etc,etc...the IS suddenly becomes something to workaround whereas the GS offers a greater accommodation for all of us and our stuff plus the ...

SPORT
Well, F Sport is the way to go. Since the numbers tell of equal power in the 0-60 I wont feel disabled. But the slalom? Your LEO experience gives me faith that the larger car may suit my sporty preferences. At my second test drive today, a GS350 F was there in Starfire Pearl. I admit a fatal attraction. I havent found slalom numbers comparing the IS350F Sport and the GSF.
When the family is away and I am chasing thoughts taking the drive I use to shake off the cobwebs of my daily concussion, I like windy country roads. Where I live in Kentuckiana(Southern Indiana) there are curve aplenty, so with maturity intow, I have daily use of the FSport. IF understand the marketing, everything F Sport can be added after the initial purchase except the Sport+ mode and the sports tuned suspension(found only on the F Sport but missing from the luxury package.)

Honestly, the IS350 was far more sporty than I initial thought. But as you mentioned, "GS F Sport with all the options including rear steer, ML, and HUD." should fit the needs. So much for the $6,000 GS vs IS savings.

I'm still 6-12 months from making a purchase. I have to separate the research from the purchase as I'm an emotional guy the IS350 ride was excellent today, I would've brought it home. GS seems to be the answer. Like most, I love both models. Thanks !!!!

Finally, I really, really want to love the look of the Lexuses(Lexi?) as much as the Audi A7,S5 or 6 series. But, I dont. I recognize the value of the Lexus and prefer it though. If only the current production models looked like this:

http://www.automobilesreview.com/aut...duction/66142/

Thanks all
Attached Thumbnails You chose Gs350F instead of IS350F...why?-2014-lexus-lf-cc-06.jpg  

Last edited by Lsochs; 10-03-13 at 06:16 PM. Reason: add the love quote
Old 10-03-13, 08:14 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lsochs
COMFORT
I had a second chance to test the IS350(not F sport) with my co-pilot, who definitely prefers the GS. That pretty much decides it. A test ride in a local 335i is what gave me sporty sedan fever. I am 6' and discovered today that the IS350 is far more comfortable in an F1(lazyboy completely reclined) mindset rather than minivan mindset(office chair upright). Doing the F1 recline obviated the little drivetrain hump behind my right foot. Like all compacts, the center console and my knee meet at very inconsiderate angle. I'd get used to it. Easily the GS is more comfortable.

On the other hand, the GS F SPort doesn't have the same ventilated seats as the Luxury model GS my better half so likes, yet she appreciates the Gs F Sport more than the IS350.So I have co-pilot clearing on the GS F Sport.

PACKAGE
Winters for me mean AWD version fo the FSport. Hmmm, rear steering as an option?
CARTAGE
Well, this one hasn't been answered in 2013 or 2014 GS Models. The rear seats dont fold. I can use my minivan for musical equipment cartage. I admit the GS's extra cabin space is more considerate of me when it comes to the family. If I foresee carseats, suitcases, media players, stuffed animals, three loaded back packs for school etc,etc...the IS suddenly becomes something to workaround whereas the GS offers a greater accommodation for all of us and our stuff plus the ...

SPORT
Well, F Sport is the way to go. Since the numbers tell of equal power in the 0-60 I wont feel disabled. But the slalom? Your LEO experience gives me faith that the larger car may suit my sporty preferences. At my second test drive today, a GS350 F was there in Starfire Pearl. I admit a fatal attraction. I havent found slalom numbers comparing the IS350F Sport and the GSF.
When the family is away and I am chasing thoughts taking the drive I use to shake off the cobwebs of my daily concussion, I like windy country roads. Where I live in Kentuckiana(Southern Indiana) there are curve aplenty, so with maturity intow, I have daily use of the FSport. IF understand the marketing, everything F Sport can be added after the initial purchase except the Sport+ mode and the sports tuned suspension(found only on the F Sport but missing from the luxury package.)

Honestly, the IS350 was far more sporty than I initial thought. But as you mentioned, "GS F Sport with all the options including rear steer, ML, and HUD." should fit the needs. So much for the $6,000 GS vs IS savings.

I'm still 6-12 months from making a purchase. I have to separate the research from the purchase as I'm an emotional guy the IS350 ride was excellent today, I would've brought it home. GS seems to be the answer. Like most, I love both models. Thanks !!!!

Finally, I really, really want to love the look of the Lexuses(Lexi?) as much as the Audi A7,S5 or 6 series. But, I dont. I recognize the value of the Lexus and prefer it though. If only the current production models looked like this:

http://www.automobilesreview.com/aut...duction/66142/

Thanks all
BTW, the GS F Sport DOES have the same ventilated seats the Luxury model has. Mine has them. It is the IS F Sport that does not come with ventilated seats.

Re: why I chose the GS over the IS, it was out over a year before the IS was introduced and I was an "early adopter". I have never had any regrets because it is a great balance of luxury and sport that pretty much does everything well from carving corners to cruising down the highway.
Old 10-03-13, 09:09 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
GS is more of a full sized sedan. IS i consider as a sport compact. If i was a bit older and didn't modify as much, GS is the way to go. Beautiful cars.
I don't think age is a factor, I'm 25 driving a '13 GS F-Sport and I bought an '01 GS430 when I was 19. To me the IS is a nice car but just too small. Plus I love modding and I've already started on the GS ... Regardless they're both great cars
Old 10-07-13, 04:29 PM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you a bit more room, get the GS, if not, the IS should be fine. You can't go wrong with either, although, asking in the GS forum will skew the results

Good luck with your search.
Old 10-07-13, 05:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by loki312
I'm sure the IS is faster, it's probably a lot lighter.

I'm not 21 anymore, so no IS for me. (I had an IS 300 when they first came to the states - it was a fun car).
IS250 RWD - 3,461lbs
IS250 AWD - 3,649lbs
IS350 RWD - 3,593lbs
IS350 AWD - 3,737lbs

GS RWD - 3,795lbs
GS AWD - 3,970lbs
GSh - 4,190lbs