GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

My fog light fiasco

Old 09-25-13, 01:44 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My fog light fiasco

As most of you know, I have a '13 GS350 F-Sport. Since Lexus, in all its infinite wisdom , decided to exclude fog lights for this edition, I purchased a set of OEM lights that fit the Japanese version of the F-Sport. I decided to have the local Lexus dealership install them for me so that way they'd be under warranty.

Well, I dropped off my car with the light kit. It took them several days to figure out how to make the lights turn operate since they had not done an install like this before. During the time they had the car, I was told that they could not install the kit per OEM where I would have an indication on the dash. I was okay with that.

So, I pick up my car when done and find out that they wired the lights to a ignition on hot only, meaning the lights would operate any time the car was on (ACC on). I complained because I wanted the lights to operate when the low beams were on.

So, made a new appointment to get it fixed, dropped it off this afternoon... thinking they'd wire it tot he low beams.. HAH! Was I wrong. I was told they cannot tap into the existing wiring at all because Lexus said it would void my warranty.. I was not at all a happy camper... I told them to just remove the lights since I found the way they were installed unacceptable. ...

The bizarre thing is that the '14 F-Sport is supposed to have fog lights
/endrant
Old 09-25-13, 01:50 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Aftermarket wire harness.. End of story...

~ Joe Z
Old 09-25-13, 01:53 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

So silly. So what are you going to do with the fogs?
Old 09-25-13, 01:53 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Aftermarket wire harness.. End of story...

~ Joe Z
They said that if anything at all happened and the ECU had problems, I would be liable for the costs, no warranty. I just got tired of the whole mess
Old 09-25-13, 01:54 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by praetor
So silly. So what are you going to do with the fogs?
Sell them, or mount them on my mantle! :P
Old 09-25-13, 01:59 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

LOL. This is why I choose to remain stock for as long as my warranty is in place. I hate having to play the dealer warranty scare tactic game. By IL law, they have to prove that something aftermarket broke something.
Old 09-25-13, 02:04 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by praetor
LOL. This is why I choose to remain stock for as long as my warranty is in place. I hate having to play the dealer warranty scare tactic game. By IL law, they have to prove that something aftermarket broke something.
Since I'm leasing, they kind of got me. The changes I've made can be undone (springs, tires and wheels)
Old 09-25-13, 02:04 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It really comes down having a cool service advisor. I know not everyone can have that, but I love my guy. He has a modded IS350, and he knows my car is lowered and everything and never bats an eye about Warranty coverage.
Old 09-25-13, 03:02 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
They said that if anything at all happened and the ECU had problems, I would be liable for the costs, no warranty. I just got tired of the whole mess
The aftermarket harness has fuses and relays.. So not sure what ECU or warranty issue you might have ??

I've helped a few GS owners already, so again not sure why this is such a huge problem..

Wire harness is also marked with a + | - labels ..

~ Joe Z
Old 09-25-13, 04:29 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stew, I remember your first post on this. Maybe you could sell them off and get the new LED ones and have Sewell install them up here in Dallas. It sounds like your dealer bit off more than they could chew and just want an exit plan by threatening warranty coverage issues at you. Not all dealers have the same skillset obviously.
Old 09-25-13, 04:34 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
Stew, I remember your first post on this. Maybe you could sell them off and get the new LED ones and have Sewell install them up here in Dallas. It sounds like your dealer bit off more than they could chew and just want an exit plan by threatening warranty coverage issues at you. Not all dealers have the same skillset obviously.
I might just take you up on that!
Old 09-25-13, 04:38 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The aftermarket harness has fuses and relays.. So not sure what ECU or warranty issue you might have ??

I've helped a few GS owners already, so again not sure why this is such a huge problem..

Wire harness is also marked with a + | - labels ..

~ Joe Z
When I told the manager that all he needed do was to tap into the green wire under at the white connector, he said doing so is not allowed... I think he wanted an out, as Barrett said
Old 09-25-13, 08:30 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's odd that you're having so many problems with this that they can't resolve. I took my car to Lexus of West Kendall to have them installed and it only took a few hours. Now the fogs turn on with the low beams like normal and it even has the fog light indicator on the dash. Maybe you should try some other dealer and see if they can do it?

The only thing I don't like about the fogs at that there is no beam pattern, it just sprays light everywhere and I'm afraid I might blind oncoming traffic. I changed them to HID btw, 3k.
Old 09-25-13, 08:34 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tru, that's exactly his problem. The dealer has shown incompetence in his previous posting and because they don't want to mess with it they are defaulting to threatening his warranty. He just happens to have a dealer that might not know how to do work on these cars that is more technical in nature. Hence their having to call other places to ask about how to wore his fogs in.
Old 09-26-13, 01:53 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
Tru, that's exactly his problem. The dealer has shown incompetence in his previous posting and because they don't want to mess with it they are defaulting to threatening his warranty. He just happens to have a dealer that might not know how to do work on these cars that is more technical in nature. Hence their having to call other places to ask about how to wore his fogs in.
I even gave them the contact info for Sewell early on but, I guess they didn't like me telling them that, so they never called Sewell.

I will call the competitor, Westside Lexus and see what they say

** UPDATE: I called Westside Lexus and they said "I cannot install parts not purchased from this dealer" even though I told them that the parts are TRD.. I am truly embarassed that these places in my area are this out of it, to put it mildly.

Last edited by Stew4HD; 09-26-13 at 06:40 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My fog light fiasco