GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

ios7 and Messaging/Contacting/Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-13, 10:36 AM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody order the upgrade? What is the pricing? What do you ask for? Ask through service or parts?
Old 10-07-13, 09:31 PM
ShermanMR2
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know what the Siri eyes free feature does?
Old 10-10-13, 05:02 PM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JAM
Here is the latest. Spoke with the head tech person with Lexus in California. New software and firmware updates as well as Gracenote for music mid-October 2013. You can order these updates after October 7, 2013.Will enhance our 2013 GS series. Also, the tech department has updated software so once approved by the big boys at Lexus, they can turn on Eyes Free Siri for our 2013 GS series. Our hardware is the same for 2014 except new software. Our hardware is state of the art and is programmable. They anticipate turning on the Eyes Free Siri as a download software sometime in January or February 2014. Keep calling the customer service number because plenty of us are complaining and Lexus concerned. Yes, you are right, it is not Lexus but Apple refusing to open the MAP.
g

My dealer doesn't know anything. Any specifics?
Old 10-10-13, 06:53 PM
Snype
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShermanMR2
Does anyone know what the Siri eyes free feature does?
Pretty much everything useful in the car. Control music on the phone, messaging, alarms, notes, finding POIs, directions (though only over Bluetooth and iPod per the OM).
Old 10-31-13, 09:06 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Okay, so I "upgraded" from iPhone 5 to 5S. I deleted the old phone from my car, added the new one. Phone works, music over BT works, but text messages are not being passed to the car, like they used to. Anyone know where the settings are to check why this is not working now?

ios 7.0.3

Thanks
Old 10-31-13, 09:24 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Open bluetooth and while your car is turned on and connected to bluetooth of the vehicle, you will see a toggle switch after you select your car from the bluetooth devices. The toggle switch will likely be off and say SMS or messaging and you need to flip that on while the car is running. Now you have your messaging back.
Old 10-31-13, 10:32 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
Open bluetooth and while your car is turned on and connected to bluetooth of the vehicle, you will see a toggle switch after you select your car from the bluetooth devices. The toggle switch will likely be off and say SMS or messaging and you need to flip that on while the car is running. Now you have your messaging back.
I also had to turn on notifications again on the phone. If you click car multimedia under the Bluetooth setting on your phone you'll see the option to turn it on. One of these two options should fix it.
Old 10-31-13, 10:38 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Thanks guys. I found the "Turn Notifications On" switch, but unfortunately received no texts while out at lunch...however, I'm sure that likely fixed it.
Old 11-02-13, 08:51 AM
Kajn
Rookie

Originally Posted by JAM
Greetings everone. Well, I am learning that contrary to what Lexus told me a few weeks ago, the new operating system for iphones-ios 7, does NOT support returning a text message already in our system (15 of them) or allowing our contacts who call us to have their pictures come up on our 12 inch screen. SAD!!!!!!! Worse, now Lexus and Apple have agreed to iOS in 2014 Lexus vehicles so you can use SIRI Eyes Free. Lexus experts tell me that our 2013 firmware can be adjusted for SIRI EYES FREE if the Powers to be would agree to it at Lexus headquarters. Right now they chose to make our system obsolete after only one year when in past they updated every three of four years. This is Apple's way of using hands free to respond to texts and emails without opening their security issue on the 4s,5,or 5s phones. Lexus Techs tell me that the only way we can have firmware updated is to complain to Customer Service. at 1-800-255-3987. As for me, I may have to go to Samsung Galaxy S 4 which does allow everything except receive and respond to emails. Let me know whay you are finding out.
Mine still gets the messages read to me with the iOS update but I've never been able to reply to them. I hope they change it so all I have to do is click reply and speak.
Old 11-02-13, 04:59 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Unfortunately, the reason those of us with iPhones cannot reply to messages is because Apple will not fully implement the MAP protocol...not a Lexus issue.

Now, the Siri Eyes Free function in the 2014 models will allow you to do so via Siri. There is a rumor (earlier in this thread) that Lexus may give us the Siri functionality via a paid update next year.

I hope they do, but we'll have to wait and see.
Old 12-20-13, 02:35 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

I'm catching up on this. Looking for the right thread to post this information. I've never been able to receive any text messages while driving. The people that text me all use Iphones. However, yesterday, my daughter sent me a text from her new IPhone 5 and it displayed and was read to me. Very nice. So there is some progress from no text messages to messages from IP5 anyway. Looking forward to being able to send a reply now.
Update -- actually, it's not just the IP5 now. I'm getting messages from other IPhones for the first time in 8 months. Must be one of the recent OS updates. I don't think it's possible that I haven't had a message while driving in 8 months.

Last edited by larryinWA; 12-20-13 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-26-13, 07:15 AM
Kajn
Rookie

Morning & Merry Christmas Everyone! I too can receive text messages and they can be read to me but I cannot respond to them by just a click. I don't know if I have siri eyes free or not and I've tried looking for that APP but nothing comes up when I search it. I have the iPhone 5 with the ios7 update/upgrade. I would love to be able to respond to the text by hitting reply then talk. Please tell me what to do? I do have Siri but don't know how to use it. Thanks
Old 12-26-13, 08:54 AM
harleymark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kajn
Morning & Merry Christmas Everyone! I too can receive text messages and they can be read to me but I cannot respond to them by just a click. I don't know if I have siri eyes free or not and I've tried looking for that APP but nothing comes up when I search it. I have the iPhone 5 with the ios7 update/upgrade. I would love to be able to respond to the text by hitting reply then talk. Please tell me what to do? I do have Siri but don't know how to use it. Thanks
What year is your GS? If it is 2013, then you do not have Siri Eyes Free. It is available on the 2014's.

It is not an app, but functionality built in to the car itself that allows it to use Siri's functionality through the car for things like replying to text messages, etc.
Old 12-26-13, 09:10 AM
Kajn
Rookie

Originally Posted by harleymark
What year is your GS? If it is 2013, then you do not have Siri Eyes Free. It is available on the 2014's.

It is not an app, but functionality built in to the car itself that allows it to use Siri's functionality through the car for things like replying to text messages, etc.
Geez, I have a GS2013. So am I reading along the lines that we 2013 ners will have an update after the first of the new year?

Thanks,
Old 12-26-13, 03:55 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kajn
Geez, I have a GS2013. So am I reading along the lines that we 2013 ners will have an update after the first of the new year?

Thanks,
That's what we all want...And it seems that it would be possible to so via a paid software/firmware update. But, we have heard conflicting stories about whether or not Lexus will do so, even as something we would pay for.

Part of the issue may be how the agreement with Apple to license the functionality is written...Does it allow Lexus to make this available to previous models?

That's why several people are advising us to let our dealers know this is something we want, or call Lexus customer service...If Lexus sees a demand for it, they may make it available for us.

Keep watching this thread...

Quick Reply: ios7 and Messaging/Contacting/Navigation