Some Issues - Please assist!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-13, 12:27 PM
thomaskymn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Issues - Please assist!!!

Hi Everyone,

I've had my GS for about 1.5 years now and just LOVE it.... however, I've been having some issues that I'm hoping some of our seasoned veterans can answer.

1. Clicking Noise - I am hearing some clicking noises from the front as I turn the wheel when moving. It is consistent. The first time I went to the dealer they said it was a ball-bearing issue and they replaced some part which seemed to have 'fixed' the issue. About 2 weeks later it came back... consistently getting worse. They said that it's caused by debris, etc., building up around the wheel (which I think is BS) and is what's causing the 'clicking' sound... Lexus hasn't come up with a fix yet and that they will just clean it up which will cause the sound to go away (i'll find out tomorrow). This is my second time taking it in for this... do you think it's possible to file for a 'lemon'?

2. Brake scraping noise while driving (not braking) - I started hearing this and the dealer says my pads are down to 1mm and that's what's causing it. I've had many cars down to 1mm and still fine until I would actually brake... however, they claim this is normal. Is it? They are also saying they have to swap out the rotors on the front brakes and replace the pads - which will cost me $610.00! I'm at about 17k and it's my first brake job... I've had other cars where i didn't have to swap out the rotors until like my 3rd brake job... however they're telling me that this is 'normal' procedure. Is this true?

Thanks everyone in advance!!
Old 09-18-13, 12:48 PM
Igor911
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thomaskymn
Hi Everyone,

I've had my GS for about 1.5 years now and just LOVE it.... however, I've been having some issues that I'm hoping some of our seasoned veterans can answer.

1. Clicking Noise - I am hearing some clicking noises from the front as I turn the wheel when moving. It is consistent. The first time I went to the dealer they said it was a ball-bearing issue and they replaced some part which seemed to have 'fixed' the issue. About 2 weeks later it came back... consistently getting worse. They said that it's caused by debris, etc., building up around the wheel (which I think is BS) and is what's causing the 'clicking' sound... Lexus hasn't come up with a fix yet and that they will just clean it up which will cause the sound to go away (i'll find out tomorrow). This is my second time taking it in for this... do you think it's possible to file for a 'lemon'?

2. Brake scraping noise while driving (not braking) - I started hearing this and the dealer says my pads are down to 1mm and that's what's causing it. I've had many cars down to 1mm and still fine until I would actually brake... however, they claim this is normal. Is it? They are also saying they have to swap out the rotors on the front brakes and replace the pads - which will cost me $610.00! I'm at about 17k and it's my first brake job... I've had other cars where i didn't have to swap out the rotors until like my 3rd brake job... however they're telling me that this is 'normal' procedure. Is this true?

A clicking sound doesn't justify a safety concern, so no...lemon is out of the question. As far as your scraping noise, it could be a number of things. Sometimes when road debris get stuck between the pad/rotor, the sound can be heard. Also, it could be one of your heatsheilds behind the rotor that is slightly bent. You'd really have to take off the wheel to inspect...
Old 09-18-13, 01:08 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I actually posted about this topic a few months ago here. Ever since I changed rims the ticking has ceased completely. I can assume it had something to do with the stock rims.
Old 09-18-13, 04:28 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did it sound like this?:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-resolved.html
Old 09-18-13, 04:49 PM
hypnotika
Driver

May have to grease up the shims? This happened to another car of mine and that solved the problem.
Old 09-18-13, 05:42 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycs
No, that's a high pitch clanging sound. The sound he is referring to is a distinct ticking that is speed sensitive and is only heard when turning the wheels.
Old 09-18-13, 05:47 PM
thomaskymn
Driver School Candidate

I had this exact problem. I was at a family event and pulled into a parking lot where a mechanic came up to me and said -- your front CV joint needs to be fixed.. it is clicking. I told him I had RWD and that I would take into the dealer.

Turned out it was a rotor issue and the dealer fixed it (this is the 3rd time I have had issues with the front brakes -- first two was the pads needed to be replaced because of squealing)
Just saw this in the other thread. It is odd they are making me REPLACE the rotors at a charge of $610... is it normal for them to REPLACE the rotors on a first brake pad replacement job? I think I have around 16k on the car.
Old 09-18-13, 05:57 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I think there is a TSB for squeaky brakes. :wink:
Old 09-18-13, 06:38 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

If your pads already need replacement, the. There's something grossly wrong. Ask to see the pads and the wear for yourself. Or take it to a different dealer. That doesn't sound right.
Old 09-18-13, 08:26 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I dont get it , y do u need a brake job is ur brakes worn out totally, I know they had a TSB on the brakes but u should try to record it, and is it only on high speeds or slow speeds also, and I would take it to the dealer and u drive it with the tech at the passenger side and try to hear it, thats not right, good luck.
Old 09-18-13, 11:23 PM
majin ssj
Driver School Candidate

Shouldn't have to replace pads so early unless you ride the brakes a lot. Also, it is not necessarily normal to have to also replace the rotors however if you have managed to wear down the pads after only 17k miles then it is quite possible that the rotors may have sustained damage as well...
Old 09-19-13, 05:52 AM
thomaskymn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by majin ssj
Shouldn't have to replace pads so early unless you ride the brakes a lot. Also, it is not necessarily normal to have to also replace the rotors however if you have managed to wear down the pads after only 17k miles then it is quite possible that the rotors may have sustained damage as well...
Since I hear the squeal now without braking even braking, does that mean my brakes are just constantly rubbing and not releasing? Perhaps that's why they wore down so quick?
Old 09-19-13, 06:43 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Shouldn't the brakes be a warranty item with only 17,000 miles on the car?
Old 09-19-13, 08:42 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
Shouldn't the brakes be a warranty item with only 17,000 miles on the car?
The OP said pad wear was down to 1mm and that the dealer said the rotors need replacing. I thought the pads and rotors are a "wear items" so I'm not sure if those are under warranty? No one can say how long the brake components will last because everyone drives under different conditions, but 17K miles doesn't seem like a lot to me either.
Old 09-19-13, 08:53 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Since I hear the squeal now without braking even braking, does that mean my brakes are just constantly rubbing and not releasing? Perhaps that's why they wore down so quick?
This is very possible, especially if one side is more worn than the other. I have had this happen twice on my last car, Camry. But it happened after year 8 and year 11.

Quick Reply: Some Issues - Please assist!!!