Print Wikipost

DIY: GS 350 F Sport Fog Lights Installation Guide, non-oem switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-13, 07:16 PM
mcolommena
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nigel-JDMParts
We are planning to do a promo on this GS F Sport Fog Light package.

Anyone interested?

Thanks for the details write up!
Yes, but only if it includes the wiring harness.
Old 01-18-15, 04:32 PM
4matador
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push button switch install

Originally Posted by mso4
INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.

2. Locate and remove these plastic plugs (11) in order to expose the area on top of the headlights and radiator. Lift and remove the passenger headlight smaller plastic section. Then remove the larger plastic cover on top radiator.

Here the red lines indicate roughly where you will run your harness and a single trigger (parking light) wire into the cabin. Here's a quick summary don't worry I'll go more into details later:

Near the battery you will attach your harness Relay, Ground, and Positive power source. Route shorter end of harness toward front passenger fog area. Then continue the longer end of the harness across the bottom in front of the radiator toward the driver side fog. Then run the single long Trigger wire back toward the engine firewall and into the cabin to your switch. Then attach your switch ground. Finally tap the parking light power source in the cabin to your switch and you're set!

3. So here near the battery corner, unbolt a nut at R and mount your harness Relay. Below and to the right locate another bolt (G) with multiple ground wires attached. Use this to connect your harness Ground wire. At this point you can attach your harness Power wire (has an inline fuse) to the Positive battery terminal. I actually didn't do this until the last step of the fog install. Just don't forget to come back if you choose to do this.

4. Run harness down passenger side of fender. I actually wrapped the harness with black electric tape to keep an OEM look. Run shorter end of harness into passenger fog light area. I'll show you how to get access to the fog light later.

5. Now run longer part of harness in front of the radiator. You can secure the harness using double sided tape and zip tie. Continue running the longer part of the harness across the radiator to the driver fog light area. We'll come back to finish this part later.

6. At this point there should be a final single longer wire that needs to be routed into the cabin and connected to your switch. Run this Trigger wire (red arrow) up the driver side of fender toward the firewall of the engine.

7. When you're at the engine firewall on the driver side. Remove this plastic cover. There are two different plastic clips. Remove the first one like the previous 11 clips in the beginning. The second clip in a plug in so just lift up. Finally release tab closest to firewall and lift cover out.

8. Now notice where this metal stick is pointing. That is where you will be looking for a rubber grommet. You want to run your Trigger wire through this and into the interior cabin. Since this is much easier if done from inside the car. The next step will show you how.

9. From inside your car on the driver side. Get down and look right above the dead pedal. You will see this black round grommet. Get something like a coat hanger and poke a hole through this area (red circle). Now go back to the engine side and try to secure your trigger wire to that hanger (probably the second most difficult part of the install). Then pull the coat hanger and Trigger wire through the rubber grommet into the cabin.

Now get your switch. It will have three connections. First is ground, second is parking light power, and we'll call the third "Trigger". Connect the Trigger wire you just pulled in from the engine to this wire.

10. Under the big round grommet above you will find a good Ground point (red square). Attach your switch Ground wire here. Now you will have the last remaining parking light power source. We'll do that next.

11. To tap the parking light power source you first need to remove this plastic panel under the knee airbag sign (3 screws and 2 clips) on the driver side.

12. Locate this white harness on the driver side above dead pedal.

13. On the harness you need to locate this green wire (red arrow). This is the parking light power source that needs to be connected to your switch. The fog light only turns on when the parking lights are on. Here you can see the parking light wire already being tapped by red wire. This was the most difficult part of the install!

14. Now you can mount the switch where ever you like. I mounted my switch between the seat cooler buttons with double sided tapes. Some people mount them under the dash or on the dash somewhere.

15. Now we turn your attention back to the fog light areas in the bumper. Turn the steering wheel toward one side for easier access to the wheel wells. Remove two plastic clips and one or two screws from under the bumper. Lift fender lining out of the way to route the harness/ plug and install the fog bezels and lights.

16. Here's what it should look like after removing the OEM F Sport bezel (4 clips) and install your JDM fog lights and bezels. Again you only need to screw the two bottom screws. Leave the top two taps unsecured, don't worry it's pretty tight.

If you haven't done so attached your fused positive wire to the battery and test our your new fog lights!! They should look something like this. Don't worry I'm testing out two bulbs that's why the colors are different

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to ask if you had to disassemble part of the center console to install the push botton switch? Thanks.
Old 01-19-15, 10:52 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 4matador
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to ask if you had to disassemble part of the center console to install the push botton switch? Thanks.
I did not have to disassemble the center console. Simply used some double sided 3M tape and wedged the wire into the crevice running from under steering column to switch next to seat warmer/ cooler switch.
Old 02-11-15, 05:29 AM
dajael
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OUTSTANDING DIY POST!!! This is on my list!

Thanks for the awesome detail

Peace,

Jason
Old 02-12-15, 03:32 PM
Kayman
Driver

Members who take the time do make such awesome write-ups to benefit other members is what makes this forum GREAT.

Many thanks to OP.

Old 04-21-15, 08:47 AM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 51 Posts

Going to do this to run my fog lights with parking lghts only. Want to run DRL and fogs together only.
Old 04-22-15, 08:30 AM
sonyfan
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Planning to do this soon. Awesome DIY
Old 04-22-15, 08:55 AM
duraiaras
Rookie

I did the install past weekend. I'll soon post it with detail. Busy at work this week to write something in detail. As always.. credits to club members for sharing wealth of information.
Old 04-23-15, 12:29 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

thanks for bring this back up to the top. I have all the parts for almost a year now lol...I better get to work.
Old 04-23-15, 06:50 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Great detailed write-up with wiring, made this a sticky in the DIY.
Old 04-23-15, 09:50 AM
sonyfan
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by duraiaras
I did the install past weekend. I'll soon post it with detail. Busy at work this week to write something in detail. As always.. credits to club members for sharing wealth of information.
Please post it.... Thanks
Old 05-02-15, 11:45 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Please post wiring harness info if you are using different brand wiring harness and switch. I'd like to see what others are using. - oh and approximate cost too , thanks.
Old 05-02-15, 01:17 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Did you guys have gaps? Also, what screws did you use?

I only have one screw per side.

Gap after install
Old 05-02-15, 01:25 PM
4matador
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did have a gap too, but mine was about half the size of yours. I guess it depends on what brand/type of fogs you buy.
Old 05-02-15, 01:40 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4matador
I did have a gap too, but mine was about half the size of yours. I guess it depends on what brand/type of fogs you buy.
Ok, thought i didn't install it correctly. I'm using the retrofitsource led fog.

Next step is finding the wiring kit from amazon or local stores.

Quick Reply: DIY: GS 350 F Sport Fog Lights Installation Guide, non-oem switch