GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rear Ended Today!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-13, 05:42 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Update, so the appraiser added up a total of $600 just to repair it. So they plan to I guess fix it, but the dealership said it may change when they take it off so I drop it off tomorrow so hopefully they let me know if they find any other damage. Also I'm rushing to get this car in because I'm going on vacation this weekend, so rather than getting a rental and stressing over my car I will leave it and get updates via email.
Old 08-20-13, 06:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

In this situation I would let them repair the bumper vs replacing the bumper cover. Reason being you'll have less paint match issues...

Real bummer!
Old 08-20-13, 07:05 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by SW13GS
In this situation I would let them repair the bumper vs replacing the bumper cover. Reason being you'll have less paint match issues...

Real bummer!
Still a nightmare as I'm hoping when I get back it looks brand new as when I got it.
Old 08-20-13, 08:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you choose a good shop it will...
Old 08-21-13, 06:49 AM
bigblack06

If you choose a good shop it will...
I went to the dealer collision center where they had certified Lexus collision repair.
Old 08-23-13, 07:33 AM
mcfine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate it when that happens. I've had my car totaled from being rear ended before. You can drive as careful as you want but you can't control the knuckle head on their smart phone behind you.

Then there is diminished value of your vehicle post accident and all the other headaches that come along with it. Good thing it wasn't significant.
Old 08-23-13, 10:25 AM
bigblack06

So I have a question do many think I should get the bumper replaced or would the repair be better than getting a new bumper. The damage isn't anything to cry over but I just don't want thing chipping in the long run.
Old 08-23-13, 10:42 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i would get it repaired... it's not like you have huge dents and dings from the hit, looks as though a chip of paint was knocked off. the good thing is that it is in a good spot, on the bottom lip of the bumper. don't drive yourself crazy... get it repaired.
Old 08-23-13, 10:52 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i would get it repaired... it's not like you have huge dents and dings from the hit, looks as though a chip of paint was knocked off. the good thing is that it is in a good spot, on the bottom lip of the bumper. don't drive yourself crazy... get it repaired.
Yea I figured. I think its the fact that I usually see every imperfection wrong and I don't want to see that.
Old 08-23-13, 12:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would get it repaired. Its easier to blend that section into the bumper at large than it is to get it to match when you have to paint and all new bumper without having to blend it into the doors...if they know what they are doing they can repair that small area and you will never know it wasn't an all new bumper...
Old 08-24-13, 01:48 PM
bigblack06

Update: so I went to the collison center to get my parking pass as I'm going into work to finish some things up. They had the bumper bare so I saw the reinforcement and it was fine no damage to it at all. I threw a fit as I found the bumper was in my back seat, did I overreact I thought that was the worst place to stick my rear bumper.
Old 08-24-13, 04:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Update: so I went to the collison center to get my parking pass as I'm going into work to finish some things up. They had the bumper bare so I saw the reinforcement and it was fine no damage to it at all. I threw a fit as I found the bumper was in my back seat, did I overreact I thought that was the worst place to stick my rear bumper.
They always do that, I hate it too but it's standard procedure for them to put the parts inside the car.
Old 08-24-13, 07:04 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yea I figured. I think its the fact that I usually see every imperfection wrong and I don't want to see that.
i feel you, i used to see every imperfection with the obsidian, but now that i have the Sp, i don't even look or notice anything... although i did find 1 scratch which is in the coating ( the only one on the car) and it's very small. i had to get eye level with the trunk and squint one eye to see it. it will drive you nuts, trying to keep up with that car.

i would have lost it, you are not wrong, but did they atleast put a cover under it before they sat it in your seat. when i had the bumper replaced on the OB GS they sat my bumper on a horse with a cover under and over the bumper.
Old 08-24-13, 07:22 PM
bigblack06

They always do that, I hate it too but it's standard procedure for them to put the parts inside the car.
Really, I mean they could have put a cover on the seat at least.

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i feel you, i used to see every imperfection with the obsidian, but now that i have the Sp, i don't even look or notice anything... although i did find 1 scratch which is in the coating ( the only one on the car) and it's very small. i had to get eye level with the trunk and squint one eye to see it. it will drive you nuts, trying to keep up with that car.

i would have lost it, you are not wrong, but did they atleast put a cover under it before they sat it in your seat. when i had the bumper replaced on the OB GS they sat my bumper on a horse with a cover under and over the bumper.
Yeah they didn't put any cover on it, it's just sitting on my back seat. I swear all accidents create is headache, can't wait to go on vacation.
Old 08-24-13, 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, you see that all the time bumper covers in the back seat with no cover...

Quick Reply: Rear Ended Today!