GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dealer Drilled Front Bumper - I walked...

Old 08-11-13, 12:47 PM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Drilled Front Bumper - I walked...

Been waiting for my GS 350 F-Sport for 2 1/2 weeks (Starfire Pearl w/Cabernet). It finally came in and the dealer drilled the front bumper to install the license plate bracket, even though I communicated to my sales rep that this would be a deal breaker.

He called me yesterday to tell me the car was in. My wife and I headed down to take a look and the first thing I saw was the front bumper drilled.... I told my sales rep, "They drilled the front bumper, that is a deal breaker." He was so pissed! (Not at me...). He simply forgot to follow through and place a note for the prep team to not drill the bumper.

We left and now he is trying to find another one or see when the next one will come in.
Old 08-11-13, 02:07 PM
Liaury
Driver School Candidate

Picking mine up tomorrow. My sales rep has noted "DO NOT INSTALL FRONT LICENCE PLATE" in multiple places. Hope my prep team follows through.
Old 08-11-13, 02:20 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin2011
Been waiting for my GS 350 F-Sport for 2 1/2 weeks (Starfire Pearl w/Cabernet). It finally came in and the dealer drilled the front bumper to install the license plate bracket, even though I communicated to my sales rep that this would be a deal breaker.

He called me yesterday to tell me the car was in. My wife and I headed down to take a look and the first thing I saw was the front bumper drilled.... I told my sales rep, "They drilled the front bumper, that is a deal breaker." He was so pissed! (Not at me...). He simply forgot to follow through and place a note for the prep team to not drill the bumper.

We left and now he is trying to find another one or see when the next one will come in.
Maybe they'll help you out on the price of the next one for making you wait.
Old 08-11-13, 03:04 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have walked just as you did. Dealers get too forgetful or rushed in their processes and they forget what they are there for, the customer. With this focus, the $$$ will always follow, not the other way around.
Old 08-12-13, 09:04 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Some states it is required to install the front plate bracket. I know when I was in Mass it was.

The dealer could be held responsible if you don't have one and get pulled over. "I'm sorry Mr. Cop, I had no way to secure it and I just bought the car."
Old 08-12-13, 09:31 AM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bill_GS3
Some states it is required to install the front plate bracket. I know when I was in Mass it was.

The dealer could be held responsible if you don't have one and get pulled over. "I'm sorry Mr. Cop, I had no way to secure it and I just bought the car."
In California, where I live, they are required to provide you with a mounting bracket for the front. They are not required to actually install it.
Old 08-12-13, 09:44 AM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Good for you. I dont buy cars w/front plates either.
Old 08-12-13, 10:17 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Luckily my dealer was smart enough not to drill for front bracket. I forgot to tell them when making the purchase. They must've had experience with a lot of angry customers about this.
Old 08-12-13, 10:33 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope they can find you another one. That sucks that they did that. The salesman blew it.

I was lucky, I live in a front plate state but the dealer left the front bracket in the trunk for me.
Old 08-12-13, 10:49 AM
Rbradleysd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dustin2011
In California, where I live, they are required to provide you with a mounting bracket for the front. They are not required to actually install it.
THIS. My dealer left it in the trunk for me
Old 08-12-13, 12:40 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

I have had some dealers in CA tell me they are required by law to attach it. Needless to say I stopped visiting those dealers.
Old 08-12-13, 02:33 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would have never of walked because of two drilled holes. You are a better man than me! If i want something I want it now, I simply forgot to tell them to drill the holes so it was my fault. I just ordered two starfire bumper caps, and they have been fine.
Old 08-12-13, 03:03 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

I would probably just take the car too. I was thinking about the bumper caps/plugs but when I took the frame off, in addition to the two holes, the screws that hold the plate went so far deep that they created two more shallow holes So I gave up the idea. On the bright side, I think it may be better for me this way. Got pulled over once while driving the RX without the front plate and it wasn't fun and convenient. I think California is more forgiving.
Old 08-12-13, 05:45 PM
Dearjohn01
Driver School Candidate

In California, it's the law to display your front license plate. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d05/vc11713_17.htm

I once got a $60 parking ticket for not displaying my front license plate.

My friend got pulled over for not displaying his plate + ticket for front tinted windows.

If I were you, ask them to take some $$$ off and take it. Soon or later you are going to have that plate on.
Old 08-12-13, 06:26 PM
msp713
Driver

Originally Posted by Dearjohn01
In California, it's the law to display your front license plate. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d05/vc11713_17.htm

I once got a $60 parking ticket for not displaying my front license plate.

My friend got pulled over for not displaying his plate + ticket for front tinted windows.

If I were you, ask them to take some $$$ off and take it. Soon or later you are going to have that plate on.
Yeah, it's the risk you take living out here. I've gotten tickets in Santa Monica but interestingly, never received a ticket for my front windows being tinted and the front plate not attached. Hopefully I haven't jinxed myself lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer Drilled Front Bumper - I walked...