GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

is it just me or is the climate control stupid?

Old 07-23-13, 06:40 AM
omaralt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it just me or is the climate control stupid?

so i come from the land of bmw's where i had that little blue/red dial and always had my climate control on auto 70 degrees. now when i put my auto on 70 (it's about 80 outside) the climate control blows on fan speed 6/7 and keeps blowing like that for at least 5 mins (I turn down the fan after that). why is that? am i doing something wrong or is it really just that stupid?

also is there a way to sync driver/passenger temp?

does S flow do anything other than just shut off the passenger side?

also does the heater not work too well? i'll have it in manual control and turn the temp up to 80 and the air still seems like it's coming out cold.. i feel like i'm missing somethere here
Old 07-23-13, 07:33 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Works great for me. I set it at and forget it. I generally leave it between 72 and 75, works great. But the fan doesn't seem to blow out as strong as my old Camry. Even on high, the air doesn't come out in force. My passenger and driver temps is synced up. I know there is a setting but you will have to read the manual.
Old 07-23-13, 07:36 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have mine set on 74 and it freezes me out! I have to turn the vent at my left hand about halfway. Even when it's 100 out, this car cools great. I love the remote start for pre-cooling!

I haven't tried the heater.. no need until maybe December
Old 07-23-13, 07:39 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by omaralt
so i come from the land of bmw's where i had that little blue/red dial and always had my climate control on auto 70 degrees. now when i put my auto on 70 (it's about 80 outside) the climate control blows on fan speed 6/7 and keeps blowing like that for at least 5 mins (I turn down the fan after that). why is that? am i doing something wrong or is it really just that stupid?

also is there a way to sync driver/passenger temp?

does S flow do anything other than just shut off the passenger side?

also does the heater not work too well? i'll have it in manual control and turn the temp up to 80 and the air still seems like it's coming out cold.. i feel like i'm missing somethere here
if the air at 80 still seems cold, then you have to go into climate settings and turn off the AC... it happened to me when i had the GS. the s-flow turns off the AC/Heat on psngr. side and the rear seats.
Old 07-23-13, 07:44 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I normally leave my AC between 74-76 and it's perfect for me. I find turning it lower caused my face to freeze off (even in s. fla.) and any higher it is too warm in the car. I've always felt the airflow was more than above adequate though. The sync button can be found on the climate screens (large or small) and the s-flow depending on your model will shut off the passenger and rear seat AC. I have also tried the heater and it worked great for me in 40 degree weather.
Old 07-23-13, 07:47 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

The AC is very cold but I just wish the fan had more flow to it.. I have black interior and it takes a bit longer to cool the car down after I park it in the sun with no shade.
Old 07-23-13, 08:25 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it works fine when it is up and running .. the problem is the lag after I start up the engine.

I guess it must be going through system checks or something but waiting for the AC to come on while siting in triple digit heat in a black car is not fun.
Old 07-23-13, 08:30 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I leave it on Auto at 72-74 and it's great.
Old 07-23-13, 07:43 PM
MoizV
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I leave it on Auto at 72-74 and it's great.
Today was one of the hottest days in TX this year and my a/c was set on auto at 77 degrees... Along with the seat fan... Had no issues what-so-ever

Mo
Old 07-23-13, 08:06 PM
omaralt
Rookie

I tried it again today on auto. Cool rainy day here; high 70°s here. Put auto on 74 and its blowing cold air on fan speed 5/7. After a minute I was freezing and turned the auto off and turned the fan speed down to 2. My issue is not that it doesn't cool; it does a great job of that, but that its blowing way too hard in auto
Old 07-23-13, 08:21 PM
XBimR
Driver

Originally Posted by omaralt
I tried it again today on auto. Cool rainy day here; high 70°s here. Put auto on 74 and its blowing cold air on fan speed 5/7. After a minute I was freezing and turned the auto off and turned the fan speed down to 2. My issue is not that it doesn't cool; it does a great job of that, but that its blowing way too hard in auto
Having come from BMW as well I totally get missing the blue-red dial. What I've learned is Lexus cooling is far superior, but not having an AC on/off button and having to go into the menu is annoying. I bought mine in January, it heats fine.

Couple tips:
Go into the settings and put auto AC to off. This will leave the AC off when starting the car, the default is on. Leaving it on will freeze you at times! I am in CA, so cool mornings and hot afternoons, this works for me.
In BMW, you don't do much with the temp, it's all about the dial. In Lexus, you'll find setting the temp higher is better - I set mine at 74 or 75, which I never did in my BMWs.

It's a good system, just different. IMO best part is the superior AC performance in hot weather.
Old 07-23-13, 08:26 PM
XBimR
Driver

Originally Posted by terrycs
I think it works fine when it is up and running .. the problem is the lag after I start up the engine.

I guess it must be going through system checks or something but waiting for the AC to come on while siting in triple digit heat in a black car is not fun.
I think the car is waiting to turn up the fan until the AC has gotten going. Blowing hot air in 100+ is even worse!
Old 07-23-13, 08:41 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Oh I know what bmw dial you guys are talking about now! My '95 e36 even had it and it was great. It let you fine tune the AC temp perfectly to your liking. I don't miss it since its 90 degrees here 360 days of the year.
Old 07-24-13, 03:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I have found that my GS insists on blowing the fan at high speed freezing with the A/C even when tempwise inside its not warranted, moreso than any other Lexus product I have had. I've found myself manually turning the fan down at times, which I never had to do with the ES or LS.
Old 07-24-13, 07:17 PM
omaralt
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I have found that my GS insists on blowing the fan at high speed freezing with the A/C even when tempwise inside its not warranted, moreso than any other Lexus product I have had. I've found myself manually turning the fan down at times, which I never had to do with the ES or LS.
Exactly my problem. Outside temp is 80°. Auto on 75°. Fan is blowing on speed 5/7 when 2/7 is what's desired. Not a big deal just have to not use auto. But I do have to say that I've never end had an ac as strong as this one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: is it just me or is the climate control stupid?