GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

is it just me or is the climate control stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-13, 08:33 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by omaralt
Exactly my problem. Outside temp is 80°. Auto on 75°. Fan is blowing on speed 5/7 when 2/7 is what's desired. Not a big deal just have to not use auto. But I do have to say that I've never end had an ac as strong as this one.
What I've been doing in such cases is leave it in auto, raise the temp closer to outside temp, then gradually lower it during my drive. Raising the temp will slow down the fan speed.
Old 07-25-13, 06:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

My issue with raising the temp it cooled air is still appropriate in this situation, just not the high fan speed. When you raise the temp, the temp of the air blown through the vents also is raised.

For some reason, in some situations, the system just overemphasizes the need for high speed air.
Old 07-25-13, 06:46 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Do you have your climate control set to fresh air, recirculated air or Auto? I find with recirculated air, the fan blows stronger than with fresh air. I generally leave it in auto as the CC switches to fresh air after the car has cooled down.
Old 07-25-13, 07:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have it set to auto for the recirculation
Old 07-25-13, 09:41 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Tip for those hot days...when you get in, immediately roll all 4 windows down*. This will let the majority of the heat escape, and allow the car to cool faster...especially if you have it on recirculate.

*Or if your fob is set correctly, you can press and hold the unlock button as you're walking up and all windows will automatically open.
Old 07-25-13, 10:07 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Not really ... as long as you stay below the outside temp, the fan speed will just slow down and the interior will still cool, but at a slower rate. The climate control basically seems to want to get to the preset temp as fast as possible which is why we get max fan if the temperature differential is big. So initially decreasing the temp differential will slow down the fan speed.

At least thats how it seems to work in my car.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
My issue with raising the temp it cooled air is still appropriate in this situation, just not the high fan speed. When you raise the temp, the temp of the air blown through the vents also is raised.

For some reason, in some situations, the system just overemphasizes the need for high speed air.
Old 07-25-13, 11:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My issue is more the system thinking there is a wide differential when there really is not.
Old 07-25-13, 01:44 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW13GS
My issue is more the system thinking there is a wide differential when there really is not.
I guess 5 degrees is a big differential to the car? Try making it equal to outside temp and gradually lowering it from there to get the fan speed you want during your trip.

Maybe they need to put in a cconfiguration for climate control rate change ... FAST, MEDIUM or SLOW?

While they are at it, they should configure fan speed to slow down whenever the car is waiting for voice input.
Old 07-25-13, 05:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Equal to the outside temp though and I'd have it set on high!

The whole point of the automatic climate control is for it to be automatic...having to set it one way when you first get in and gradually adjust it means its not working as it should IMHO.
Old 08-24-13, 09:00 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycs
Not really ... as long as you stay below the outside temp, the fan speed will just slow down and the interior will still cool, but at a slower rate. The climate control basically seems to want to get to the preset temp as fast as possible which is why we get max fan if the temperature differential is big. So initially decreasing the temp differential will slow down the fan speed.

At least thats how it seems to work in my car.
+1, I have also found this to be the case.
Old 08-29-13, 09:28 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
*Or if your fob is set correctly, you can press and hold the unlock button as you're walking up and all windows will automatically open.
How do I set the fob to do this?
Old 08-29-13, 09:30 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by larryinWA
How do I set the fob to do this?
dealer needs to program it
Old 08-30-13, 03:20 AM
mcfine
Driver School Candidate

Hah I thought my BMW sucked at heating for like a month when winter hit and the dial was set to blue lol. What's the point of setting the temp when you can override with the dial?

Fan blows harder if it's set to only forward vents. I keep the fan strength low cause it works so well. I would just up your temp so it reaches the target temp faster.
Old 08-30-13, 02:14 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found (here in FL) that when I first start the car and the AC, the fan runs at a very high speed to bring the cabin temp down to what I have the AC set; once it hits that temp, the fan slows considerably.

Even in the garage overnight, the interior temp of the car gets upwards of 90 degrees in summer - Outside in the sun, it'll climb over 100 quickly.
Old 03-10-14, 07:11 PM
Nismo
Rookie

Arrow

Originally Posted by omaralt
...also does the heater not work too well? i'll have it in manual control and turn the temp up to 80 and the air still seems like it's coming out cold.. i feel like i'm missing somethere here
I'm with you. This has been annoying me all winter. I'll be driving along, it's 40-50 outside, I have the heat on 85 and it's blowing slightly cool air. Turn it on 'HI' and it superheats the car. There is no in-between setting.

Took it to the dealer and they said this is normal. I've driven many vehicles in the last decade with auto climate control--Honda, Hyundai, Chevy, Nissan, Buick, and others--and this is the only one I've driven that acts this way.

Weird.

Quick Reply: is it just me or is the climate control stupid?