GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2014 IS vs 2013 GS vs 2014 E-class

Old 07-07-13, 08:25 AM
miccon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 IS vs 2013 GS vs 2014 E-class

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, and I'm in a bind. It's time for me to get a new car and those three are my top choices. I am considering the new IS and GS for its phenomenal interior and quality. The E-class is considered because I need to "grow-up" per se by my fiancé. I had my current car for 5 yrs since I graduated, and I loved every moment of it (2008 Corvette w/mods). But it's time for me to get a "grown-up" car since I foresee having a kid a year or so. I just wanted to read/hear from the owners on how they liking the GS so far, fun factor, enough rm for car seat, etc.

TLDR cliffs: Read the title and I want to hear ya's opinions on each cars for a man that's about to start a family soon. F-sport for both IS & GS

I also considered the CTS-V but the interior was horrendous like my vette

Last edited by miccon; 07-07-13 at 08:25 AM. Reason: GS
Old 07-07-13, 08:34 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm.. changing cars will make you grow up! Some of us never grew up and says we have to, as long as we take care of business (family, bills, savings). That said, I just got a GS and love it, love it, love it. I came out of a '12 Acura TL Advanced SH-AWD. The GS blows it away in every way except, maybe cornering.

By the way, I picked up the F-Sport which adds the fun factor back into the "grown up car"
Old 07-07-13, 08:41 AM
miccon
Driver School Candidate

That's what I told her, woman logic. How's the seat? Does it grip around you or you slide with the car?
Old 07-07-13, 08:52 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by miccon
That's what I told her, woman logic. How's the seat? Does it grip around you or you slide with the car?
The seats hold me tight.. 16 way adjustable.. the bolsters are adjustable and saved in the memory
Old 07-07-13, 08:59 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want something fun, definitely stick with the GS.

IS, is the smalle car, the GS is definitely more of a grown ups car.

the E class is cool, its very comfy, quiet, but pretty boring, especially coming from a vette.

gs f-sport should be your choice
Old 07-07-13, 09:03 AM
miccon
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback so far. E-class was kinda blah when I test drove it, but I haven't got the chance to test the GS and IS yet.
Old 07-07-13, 12:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Comparing the IS and GS to me the GS is the way to go. Don't get me wrong, the new IS is a great car, but its smaller, a little more "boy racerish", and from a quality perspective the GS is clearly a class up. The GS is also more refined on the road.

Also, with the great deals out there on the GS now and the IS being brand new you can get a GS for not a whole lot more than the IS.

I have not driven the refreshed E Class, but I did seriously consider the 2013 E Class before I got the GS (I've had my GS since December) and found it wanting. Outside the vehicle is classy (although the new front end on the 2014 doesn't go with the rest of the car IMHO, and isn't "elegant" at all IMHO), but inside its angular, feels outdated. The car is boaty on the road without riding particularly well...just all around a big disappointment. One drive around the block and I determined it wasn't for me.

Have you looked at a 5 series? Or an A6? I also really liked the A6. To me in this segment:

GS>A6>5>E Class
Old 07-07-13, 01:28 PM
mikec78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by miccon
Thanks for the feedback so far. E-class was kinda blah when I test drove it, but I haven't got the chance to test the GS and IS yet.
I have had all these cars in the past...(plus I had the Audi A5)...You will want to return the Benz about 4 months after you get it. The A5 is a great looking car, but you don't get anything for the money with it (including the A4/A6). The IS is like a 4-door coupe (I gave it to my parents that still drive it today - love that car still!!). I have had my GS for a year+ now and once you get in and drive one you won't look back. They have a ton of great deals right now, so go pick up the GS. If you are looking for super sporty and still a "grown-up" car, the IS is great...though the GS is more spacious...you won't regret it...I am back to being a proud lexus owner again, and won't change anymore...haha

Good luck!
Old 07-07-13, 03:18 PM
lithe
Driver School Candidate

GS>A6>5>E Class
I'd agree with this assessment. Though the new E will have a 3 liter twin-turbo engine offering soon, kinda tempting.

The A6's supercharged six is a great engine as well - and did beat the GS in Car & Driver's latest comparo (though that GS wasn't an F Sport).

I think the GS is be best handling car in the class, which might matter to you most coming from a Corvette. The F Sport seats are fantastic from what I read/hear as well, another previous Corvette shortcoming.

Make sure you experience the dynamic rear steering (DRS) option if you're going RWD F Sport, it sounds like a great performance enhancing feature.

The current 5-series is just kinda disappointing all around, IMO. They do look nice though, for some that's enough.
Old 07-07-13, 05:17 PM
miccon
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys! Audi's and BMW's makes beautiful cars but its not for me. Yup, the "boaty" feeling in the benz kinda threw me off. Will definitely try to test drive both IS and GS this week when I have some free time. Once again, thanks for all the useful info's!
Old 07-07-13, 07:41 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I know I'm coming in late to the party, but if you want something that feels "grown up" but still allows you to have some fun, go with the GS F Sport. I have had mine since March 2012 and (as one other poster said) love, love, love it. I actually came from an Audi S5 Cabriolet, which has the same drive train as the new A6, and although that Supercharged V6 and dual-clutch transmission are hard to beat, the GS compares just fine.

Although I like the new IS, I don't think it can be considered in the same conversation as the GS and E Class.
Old 07-07-13, 08:37 PM
Skip
Driver

Just got an F-Sport today. Came from an IS350. GS is a much nicer ride and a lot quieter. I went with a 36 month lease because in Ca, your registration is paid by the year. They do not refund any money on the unused portion. If I went with a 27 month lease, I would be paying the registration for the whole year and only have the car for 3 months. 27 months=21/4 years, 36 months=3 years.

Before everyone says" big deal" on the registration, in Ca the first year is $440.00! It does go down each year, but we still get totally ripped off living in Ca.

I got white with black interior. Went in to buy a luxury package and came home with an F-Sport. I liked the ride, drive and looks of the F-Sport much better.

Anybody want to buy a loaded 2006 IS350 with 37,000 miles, driven by a 65 year old guy.
Old 07-07-13, 09:37 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

If you're looking for a vehicle for new born, an suv is prob a better choice. If it needs to be one of the three, def pick the GS. As mentioned IS is in a different class and to me the style is overly done. I saw one drive by and wasnt impressed as I thought. Cant comment on the E because I havent driven enough but I had the new GL for this past week and I can tell you the GS is more luxurious. The GL was named luxury suv of the year but I was dissappointed. The biggest dissappointment is the seat. Their 16 way is no where near the 18 way the luxury GS has. The side bolster and leg support make a huge difference. The display is so tiny compared to the GS. The street fonts are also small which makes it difficult to see. Material is not as nice especially the plastic visors! There are a few things I do like. Their nav seems to re-calculate route faster than the lexus. I also like the fact that you can display info in the odometer panel. Lastly attention assist is a joke.
Old 07-07-13, 10:40 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Forget the Eclass - boring to drive and slow.

If you want great interior = GS
If you want cutting edge styling = IS

I would just test drive both, and get the one u like but make sure its in Fsport trim!

Why no 3 or 5 series in your consideration? If u like mods, u can tune those engines fairly cheap even through BMW with the PPK.
Old 07-11-13, 04:31 PM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 204 Likes on 79 Posts

I know that registration is alot in Cali but have you tried adding that as a tax deductible expense on your return? I've been doing it for a couple years now.

Originally Posted by Skip
Just got an F-Sport today. Came from an IS350. GS is a much nicer ride and a lot quieter. I went with a 36 month lease because in Ca, your registration is paid by the year. They do not refund any money on the unused portion. If I went with a 27 month lease, I would be paying the registration for the whole year and only have the car for 3 months. 27 months=21/4 years, 36 months=3 years.

Before everyone says" big deal" on the registration, in Ca the first year is $440.00! It does go down each year, but we still get totally ripped off living in Ca.

I got white with black interior. Went in to buy a luxury package and came home with an F-Sport. I liked the ride, drive and looks of the F-Sport much better.

Anybody want to buy a loaded 2006 IS350 with 37,000 miles, driven by a 65 year old guy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 IS vs 2013 GS vs 2014 E-class