4GS Fuel discussion Premium or Regular Gas? (merged threads) - Page 6 - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

4GS Fuel discussion Premium or Regular Gas? (merged threads)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-21-13, 08:58 PM   #76
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion
 
sydtoosic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 4,382
Default

a techie at the dealership actually told me that they fill up all the cars with regular gas before delivery to the customers... including the ISFs.
sydtoosic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 05:59 AM   #77
rjm
Lead Lap
 
rjm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydtoosic View Post
a techie at the dealership actually told me that they fill up all the cars with regular gas before delivery to the customers... including the ISFs.
I was told the same thing at a Ft. Worth Lexus dealership. The salesman said they have only regular gas in their pumps and that using regular won't hurt a thing.
rjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 06:09 AM   #78
MJA1951
Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 128
Default

When you are buying a $50,000-$60,000 car if a few buck every fill up is an issue don't buy the car!
MJA1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 06:11 AM   #79
Stew4HD
Lead Lap
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: H-Town TX
Posts: 511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJA1951 View Post
When you are buying a $50,000-$60,000 car if a few buck every fill up is an issue don't buy the car!
Oooh, okay
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 06:39 AM   #80
MJA1951
Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 128
Default

I just find it interesting that people spend $10000 or more extra to buy a nice car and then don't want to spend the extra couple of bucks on premium. In the Chicago area we are getting raped for premium because most stations don't post premium prices and they are now 40-60 cents more than regular. But when you add up the difference each fill up it is less than $10 a week so over a year isn't it worth $500 to have more performance. And this doesn't even account for the better gas mileage with premium, which most studies say is a benefit.
MJA1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 06:49 AM   #81
lithe
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
I just find it interesting that people spend $10000 or more extra to buy a nice car and then don't want to spend the extra couple of bucks on premium. In the Chicago area we are getting raped for premium because most stations don't post premium prices and they are now 40-60 cents more than regular. But when you add up the difference each fill up it is less than $10 a week so over a year isn't it worth $500 to have more performance. And this doesn't even account for the better gas mileage with premium, which most studies say is a benefit.
Totally agree.

Of course it's your car & money to do with as you wish. I just don't understand what people think they are saving by choosing regular. Why not enjoy the full performance and fuel economy potential of your vehicle?
lithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 06:52 AM   #82
Stew4HD
Lead Lap
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: H-Town TX
Posts: 511
Default

FYI, I didn't start this thread because I was worried about cost, was merely asking what type of fuel the GS uses. I've been using premium in my Acura's for several years.
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 06:57 AM   #83
hopVIP
Driver School Candidate
 
hopVIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NM
Posts: 32
Default

The reason to use "premium" higher octane fuel is determined by the compression ratio of the engine. Typically, an engine with a compression ratio higher than 10.5 to 1 requires "premium". So the fuel compresses the correct amount just before it ignites and there is combustion to push the pistons back down (keeping the engine turning). Using regular octane fuel will only diminish fuel economy and a little power because the fuel isn't being burned properly at higher compression. By using Premium the cleaning characteristics of the fuel are naturally better and will allow the higher compression engine to run at its peak optimum level. Overall, it will get better mileage, stay cleaner and provide longer lasting power over the life of the engine. Saying that, Regular fuel can not harm the engine, it just isn't quite as good...that's all.
hopVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 07:03 AM   #84
lithe
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
FYI, I didn't start this thread because I was worried about cost, was merely asking what type of fuel the GS uses. I've been using premium in my Acura's for several years.
No worries Stew!

Just sharing my thoughts in response to others in the thread, sorry to hijack.

Thanks for the education, hopVIP. Hopefully this will provide the logic upon which people can make changes in their beliefs.
lithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 07:11 AM   #85
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Joeb427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 10,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJA1951 View Post
When you are buying a $50,000-$60,000 car if a few buck every fill up is an issue don't buy the car!


I love these regular vs premium debates.
I guess some here are smarter than Toyota.
Joeb427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 07:15 AM   #86
Stew4HD
Lead Lap
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: H-Town TX
Posts: 511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithe View Post
No worries Stew!

Just sharing my thoughts in response to others in the thread, sorry to hijack.

Thanks for the education, hopVIP. Hopefully this will provide the logic upon which people can make changes in their beliefs.
No worries at all.
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 08:09 AM   #87
MikeJaye
Driver School Candidate
 
MikeJaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 19
Default

Agreed! This conversation is absolutely mind-boggling. This appears to be a Honda Civic "SI" discussion ... which makes sense at that price point ... IMHO.
MikeJaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 08:30 AM   #88
Stew4HD
Lead Lap
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: H-Town TX
Posts: 511
Default

Damn.. excuse me! Sheesh, I merely asked what kind of fuel the car uses for my information, only!. Was meant to be a molehill only, not a mountain
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 08:38 AM   #89
HUSKERnKS
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: KS
Posts: 392
Default

Probably some of these same folks make the argument they have been smoking for 30 years and haven't gotten sick......;-)
HUSKERnKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 08:40 AM   #90
HUSKERnKS
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: KS
Posts: 392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4HD View Post
Damn.. excuse me! Sheesh, I merely asked what kind of fuel the car uses for my information, only!. Was meant to be a molehill only, not a mountain
You're good dude. A lot people here looking for an argument. I wouldn't pay too much attention.
HUSKERnKS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 Lexus IS 300 Premium or regular Gas? barca85 IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) 11 01-05-16 05:18 PM
Keyless locks and what gas - 2012 ES jvillier ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) 2 10-08-15 05:03 PM
Regular versus Premium MPG report Jabberwock LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) 28 03-13-15 07:03 AM
Regular gas in LS460 sktn77a LS - 4th Gen (2007-present) 1 06-11-14 08:03 AM
Regular Gas...harmful? nehal51086 IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) 31 10-03-08 05:52 PM


Tags
2009, 2013, 350, 87, 93, cooper, difference, engine, fuel, gas, gs, gs350, gx460regular, knock, lexius, lexus, mini, octane, only, orpremium, premium, rating, regular, rough, running, rx, vehicles

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:47 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved