4GS Fuel discussion Premium or Regular Gas? (merged threads) - Page 3 - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

4GS Fuel discussion Premium or Regular Gas? (merged threads)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-13-12, 01:57 PM   #31
thorpe
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: wa
Posts: 4
Default

Had a few Lexus vehicles over the past few years and I will say that I go between on all of them. I have no problem putting Regular octane in the car. I have not noticed an impact on my overall mpg. Nor do I really notice a difference in performance. I will say that I am not ever heavy on the gas so any advantages with higher octane may not have been noticeable. I put regular in our 2007 GS430 and I have even thrown in a couple regular tanks in our 2013 GS350.

I am sure the higher octane helps Lexus achieve their posted HP and torque numbers, but in real world everyday driving I would be hard pressed to say if I notice a difference.
thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 02:19 PM   #32
arkie
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: AR
Posts: 15
Default

Thanks for everyone's input. It sounds like we can get optimal performance by using premium grade fuel, but the car will run fine on the cheap stuff too. I plan to continue to use premium fuel.

Because i have asked this question, some astute folks have figured me out. Busted, I am living beyond my means and will probably have to sell a kidney. It's worth it though to have a fun car...

Thanks, Arkie
arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 02:34 PM   #33
RYLITT
Driver
 
RYLITT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie View Post
Thanks for everyone's input. It sounds like we can get optimal performance by using premium grade fuel, but the car will run fine on the cheap stuff too. I plan to continue to use premium fuel.

Because i have asked this question, some astute folks have figured me out. Busted, I am living beyond my means and will probably have to sell a kidney. It's worth it though to have a fun car...

Thanks, Arkie
I wasn't directing that to you specifically, more-so in general. If anything I would say it to the cheap salesmen that get these cars and do it themselves(or so they say..) and then tell the customer you can do it. Just the difference in price doesn't justify the potential effect it could have on your car.
RYLITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 02:44 PM   #34
rjm
Lead Lap
 
rjm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie View Post
Busted, I am living beyond my means and will probably have to sell a kidney. It's worth it though to have a fun car...

Thanks, Arkie
Arkie,
That is so sad, and at Christmas time too. Where can we send a donation?
rjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 04:41 PM   #35
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion
 
sydtoosic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 4,378
Default

Premium FTW...
sydtoosic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 05:53 PM   #36
Individual
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (7)
 
Individual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 1,648
Default

I got this from my TIS bible:

You must only use unleaded gasoline in your vehicle.
Select premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91
(Research Octane Number 96) or higher required for optimum engine
performance. If 91 octane cannot be obtained, you may use unleaded
gasoline with an octane rating as low as 87 (Research Octane Number
91). Use of unleaded gasoline with an octane rating lower than 91 may
result in engine knocking and significantly reduced performance. Persistent
knocking can lead to engine damage and should be corrected
by refueling with higher octane unleaded gasoline.
At minimum, the gasoline you use should meet the specifications of
ASTM D4814 in the U.S.A. and CGSB3.5-M93 in Canada.

This is true as I had a customer with an IS350 who came in with a check engine light . We diagnosed it, and found a code for misfiring and a code for engine knocking. We told the customer that they would need to use 91 octane gas or higher for their condition to improve, and hopefully he has, because I haven't heard back from him for a while now.
Individual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 05:53 PM   #37
Chuck W.
Rookie
 
Chuck W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrage View Post
A vehicle which travels 15,000 miles a year, which consumes an average of 20 miles per gallon, would use 750 gallons in one year. If higher octane fuel costs roughly $0.40 more per gallon it would cost an additional $300 a year to use that fuel in that vehicle. $300, which is $25 a month, represents approximately 0.5% of the price of a $55,000 vehicle.
On the Bimmerfest Board the same debate came up. My response was like yours. But in CA there is only a 20 cent difference between the top tier gas and the bottom;

Let's say, again, you drive 15,000 miles a year and average 23 MPG. In a year you will use 652 gallons of gas. If you pay 20 cents more for premium gas you will spend $130 more in a year or $10.83 a month. I'll spend that money.
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 06:47 PM   #38
LexFather
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Lol I've seen this from 2GS to 3GS to 4GS. If premium is recommended why put in anything else?

Sure you can use regular. You can also eat Waffle House everyday and see how that works out
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-12, 07:41 AM   #39
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap
 
PLAYTYM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Individual View Post
I got this from my TIS bible:

You must only use unleaded gasoline in your vehicle.
Select premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91
(Research Octane Number 96) or higher required for optimum engine
performance. If 91 octane cannot be obtained, you may use unleaded
gasoline with an octane rating as low as 87 (Research Octane Number
91). Use of unleaded gasoline with an octane rating lower than 91 may
result in engine knocking and significantly reduced performance. Persistent
knocking can lead to engine damage and should be corrected
by refueling with higher octane unleaded gasoline.
At minimum, the gasoline you use should meet the specifications of
ASTM D4814 in the U.S.A. and CGSB3.5-M93 in Canada.

This is true as I had a customer with an IS350 who came in with a check engine light . We diagnosed it, and found a code for misfiring and a code for engine knocking. We told the customer that they would need to use 91 octane gas or higher for their condition to improve, and hopefully he has, because I haven't heard back from him for a while now.
I find this hard to believe??? With the technology built into the computers running our engines that sense lower octane gas and adjust accordingly to avoid engine knock.
PLAYTYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-12, 07:42 AM   #40
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap
 
PLAYTYM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 630
Default

For the Record, I use Premium!
PLAYTYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-12, 08:07 AM   #41
rjm
Lead Lap
 
rjm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Individual View Post
I got this from my TIS bible:
What is the TIS bible?
rjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-12, 08:14 AM   #42
Outrage
Lead Lap
 
Outrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAYTYM View Post
I find this hard to believe??? With the technology built into the computers running our engines that sense lower octane gas and adjust accordingly to avoid engine knock.
Typically, the engine's knock sensor will detect pre-ignition and retard the timing. That still requires that knock (pre-ignition) occur in the first place. The result of the knock senor commanding the ignition system to retard the timing is decreased power output and increased fuel consumption.

The GS 350 uses a high compression (11.8:1) engine. The higher the compression ratio an engine has, the hotter the engine's combustion chambers get. Higher combustion chamber temperatures mean the air/fuel mixture is more likely to spontaneously ignite (pre-ignition). The spark plug should initiate the ignition of the air/fuel ratio, not remnant heat within the combustion chamber. Higher octane fuel has a higher resistance to pre-ignition. Since high compression engines generate higher heat levels, using a fuel which is less likely to ignite at higher heat levels (a higher octante rating) is appropriate.

In summary, use the octane specified by the manufacturer.
Outrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-12, 03:10 PM   #43
Individual
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (7)
 
Individual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 1,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm View Post
What is the TIS bible?
It's an official Toyota/Lexus/Scion online database of information, parts, labor, diagrams, etc.
http://tis.toyota.com/
You have to work for a dealer or subscribe to it for access.

Last edited by Individual; 12-14-12 at 03:40 PM.
Individual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-12, 03:21 PM   #44
Individual
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (7)
 
Individual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 1,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAYTYM View Post
I find this hard to believe??? With the technology built into the computers running our engines that sense lower octane gas and adjust accordingly to avoid engine knock.
I understand, but that is from the horse's mouth(Lexus).
Individual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 07:00 AM   #45
ExtrmeLex
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 44
Default

Premium only!
ExtrmeLex is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 Lexus IS 300 Premium or regular Gas? barca85 IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) 11 01-05-16 05:18 PM
Keyless locks and what gas - 2012 ES jvillier ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) 2 10-08-15 05:03 PM
Regular versus Premium MPG report Jabberwock LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) 28 03-13-15 07:03 AM
Regular gas in LS460 sktn77a LS - 4th Gen (2007-present) 1 06-11-14 08:03 AM
Regular Gas...harmful? nehal51086 IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) 31 10-03-08 05:52 PM


Tags
2009, 2013, 350, 87, 93, cooper, difference, engine, fuel, gas, gs, gs350, gx460regular, knock, lexius, lexus, mini, octane, only, orpremium, premium, rating, regular, rough, running, rx, vehicles

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved