GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 GS 350 vs 2014 is 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-13, 07:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by Neogenic
I didnt mean any disrespect. I will allways maintain my statement about how you evalute silence in a car. Such statement is allways subjected to hearing abilities. I was talking about the car and I love my GS except for the wind noise of course:-) Enjoy your silence :-)
Then theres no issue...
Old 06-20-13, 07:54 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by praetor
Lexus doesn't rely on test drivers with hearing damage to evaluate cabin noise in their cars. Every single car company out there uses data modeling and electronics to design a "quiet cabin." What separates the men from the boys though is the quality of material used to dampen road and wind noise. It's not like this technology is a secret.
Thats what I thought as well! How could this be instrumental error if those steps where taken? How could the IS be quieter then the GS!
Unless you used only an Audiometer as bakground noise check! That would be a huge misstake right?
Well I have decided to make a fuss about this and bring Lexus to the table! I have just started researching a suitable high-end audiometer and I will keep you updated. Will post results from three different vehicles including mine. I will mount the microfon where my ears are usually seated. I will include a scan curve of my hearing as well within industrial not clinical range (range up to 20k Hz). Clinical range is up to 6k Hz as I mentioned earlier!
Old 06-20-13, 08:53 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Thats what I thought as well! How could this be instrumental error if those steps where taken? How could the IS be quieter then the GS!
Unless you used only an Audiometer as bakground noise check! That would be a huge misstake right?
Well I have decided to make a fuss about this and bring Lexus to the table! I have just started researching a suitable high-end audiometer and I will keep you updated. Will post results from three different vehicles including mine. I will mount the microfon where my ears are usually seated. I will include a scan curve of my hearing as well within industrial not clinical range (range up to 20k Hz). Clinical range is up to 6k Hz as I mentioned earlier!
Edmunds did some of the testing already :

2013 Lexus GS 350 - Road Test Specs

Sound level @ idle (dB) 39.7
@ Full throttle (dB) 70.0
@ 70 mph cruise (dB) 63.5

Link :
http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs-350/...est-specs.html
Old 06-20-13, 09:15 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Neogenic, could it be that your windshield wipers are in the "winter" position? Apparently, the higher riding position of the windshield wipers in winter/snow mode causes more aerodynamic turbulence and more wind noise.

Perhaps the solution to your problem is to snap them into "summer" mode.

See :

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs-350/...per-trick.html

2013 Lexus GS 350: The Windshield Wiper Trick

Last February, during what passes for winter here in southern California, an alert reader noticed that the windshield wipers on our 2013 Lexus GS 350 were in the winter park position.

He was right of course, but several of us hadn't noticed. Snow is something we generally keep at arm's length in these parts unless we choose to ski on it.

The so-called "Snow/Service" position reduces the chance that light to moderate snow accumulation will bury the wipers. It keeps them out from under the edge of the hood so they can be lifted and unstuck.

But it's more than that, and GS owners in warm climates like ours should know what's up. That's because this raised position improves access to the wiper blades when they need changing.

During my road trip to the Circuit of the Americas, I put the wipers back in the summer position after reading the manual while I sat munching enchiladas in a café in Grants, New Mexico. I took pictures, filed them on my laptop, then promptly forgot all about them.

So here they are. Better late than never, right?

It's pretty easy to put the wipers back in the normal position once you know you won't break anything. Stand on the passenger side, not the driver's side, and press the blade down parallel to the glass in the direction you'd expect. It takes a bit of pressure to overcome the detent, but not too much. There's no reason to go to the driver's side after this. Both blades snap into position together.

This is where they're supposed to live most of the time, tucked in where they'll generate less aerodynamic turbulence and less wind noise. They look nicer here, too.

How do you put them back into the snow/service position? I don't have a picture of that, but it's not quite what you think.

Again, you must be on the passenger side, but you don't pull the blade back up the windshield toward the roof. Instead you lift the arm straight up off the glass a couple inches or so, then apply gentle backward pressure, if needed.

You can almost do it accidentally when you clean the glass. In fact, that's probably how our GS's wipers got into the snow/service position in the first place.

Dan Edmunds, Director of Vehicle Testing @ Many miles ago
Old 06-20-13, 10:27 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut

Link :
Game,set and match!!
Old 06-20-13, 10:30 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Unless you test my GS and others here who say they don't have the wind problem,you're wasting your time.

But...
"whatever floats your boat"
Old 06-20-13, 10:57 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Crank the radio. Problem solved. LOL
Old 06-20-13, 11:23 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think there is much left to say. I am aware of Edmunds findings and have posted them myself in one of the threads. Edmounds measured bakground noise as I mentioned!
Nothing you wrote added to the argument except feelings and I dont concider them worth my time or yours.

Thanks NatNut. I am aware of this feature as I live in snow-heavy country:-)

Katyyu2001, you posted this thread. My advice to you is to drive the car on at least two different roads, at least 20 miles both highways, no music and easy on the throttle! Just cruise in steps of +5 mph If you dont noticed anything that bothers you then get the GS. Its a good mashine and you wont regreat it!
Old 06-20-13, 11:51 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

These two are two different vehicles for two different groups of buyers (mostly). The best thing for you to to test drive both and see/feel yourself. They are both great vehicles nevertheless. I also start to wonder if I have hearing problems.

Link :
Do you know what the reference point is? Saying something in dB is really meaningless if I remember correctly.
Old 06-20-13, 02:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Link :
C&D had similar results in a GS/A6 comparo:

Idle 41 (db)
Full throttle 72 (db)
70 mph cruise 64 (db)

C&D's comments on the GS, "vault quiet in freeway cruising".
Old 06-20-13, 03:04 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
C&D had similar results in a GS/A6 comparo:

Idle 41 (db)
Full throttle 72 (db)
70 mph cruise 64 (db)

C&D's comments on the GS, "vault quiet in freeway cruising".
If you're deaf?
Old 06-20-13, 05:06 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i guess i got a pretty crappy *ss GS then. its quiet if the road is smooth, minus the wind noise from the passenger side around 40+ MPH, getting louder the faster you're going.

rattle wise, front door panels, passenger headrest, passenger seat, rear door panels, rear passenger arm rest, and now the entire a pillar from inside squeaks and rattles.pretty much anytime i go over a bump or uneven pavement, whole interior rattles.
Old 06-20-13, 05:08 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by modthispny
i guess i got a pretty crappy *ss GS then. its quiet if the road is smooth, minus the wind noise from the passenger side around 40+ MPH, getting louder the faster you're going.

rattle wise, front door panels, passenger headrest, passenger seat, rear door panels, rear passenger arm rest, and now the entire a pillar from inside squeaks and rattles.pretty much anytime i go over a bump or uneven pavement, whole interior rattles.
Sounds like a lemon and that stinks and is frustrating.
Dealer doing any fixes or trying to or have you just said screw it.
Old 06-20-13, 08:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny

You must have, its really frustrating for you but I am not BSing you when I say my car has no rattles, no wind noise.
Old 06-20-13, 10:31 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Sounds like a lemon and that stinks and is frustrating.
Dealer doing any fixes or trying to or have you just said screw it.
said screw it, not worth the hassle/headache with taking it in to the dealer. from day 1 i said i wasn't going to be too **** with the car, bad enough i spent almost 1k getting it detailed twice within 2 months of getting it to get rid of holograms and swirls,(have an obsidian gs) dont want to go down the rattle rabbit hole.

the car is fine, i almost always drive w music on, and tonight was smooth and quiet and i thoroughly enjoyed it.

it's a lease and will be back in in 20 months, not that i dont love the car, its the best car i've had, but i know the noises will just come and go.

Quick Reply: 2013 GS 350 vs 2014 is 350