GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2014 changes

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-13, 07:23 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

To address one of the OP's earlier points, my GS used to read e-mails to me when I had a Blackberry but no longer does since I have an iPhone 5. I'm not sure why, but since I don't commute I found it a nuisance anyway. I doubt that Lexus will be upgrading Enform or the graphics in the 2014 GS, since the new IS seems to have pretty much the same technology.
Old 07-06-13, 07:54 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

so there's no 8A for the '14 GS? can anyone confirm?
Old 07-06-13, 11:11 PM
majin ssj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally find the 6-speed in my F-Sport to be just fine and see no real need for an 8-speed. Had a 7-speed in my 2010 G37S and it really doesn't seem to make much of a difference to me. I really can't imagine there will be many changes for 2014 tbh...
Old 07-07-13, 01:28 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I remember how much the media is so biased towards the Germans.

When the LS460 first came with the world's first 8 speed automatic in 2006, the mass media laughed and said it was overkill, 6 speeds was more than enough , the Germans made do with 5/6 speeds blah blah.

Cue 6 years later and they're knocking the GS for daring to have 6 speeds. From the way, they're behaving, it's as if a car is undriveable unless it has 7 or more speeds in its gearbox.

That said, I believe the lack of 8 speeds is just a measure to keep the prices of the GS down since the new IS350 and the ( Japan-only) Toyota Crown Athlete, both with the same 3.5L 2GR-FSE engine and based off the 4th Gen GS platform, have the Aisin/ISF-derived 8 speeds in them.

Oh and the Crown Athlete has an additional option of a supercharged 3.5L V6 which makes 380 hp. Just saying, it might be interesting to wait 1 or 2 more years and see the drivetrain and engine improvements coming to the GS.

Last edited by natnut; 07-07-13 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-07-13, 01:00 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by majin ssj
I personally find the 6-speed in my F-Sport to be just fine and see no real need for an 8-speed. Had a 7-speed in my 2010 G37S and it really doesn't seem to make much of a difference to me. I really can't imagine there will be many changes for 2014 tbh...

the new IS has it, so it's matter of time when the GS gets that too. it's not about how good the 8 speed is over the 6 speed, i'm sure 6 speed would do just fine, but if it's my money i'd rather wait for the newest and greatest for the same money.
Old 07-07-13, 01:11 PM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really wish they offered the GS-F with the v8 engine. With a face so vicious, it makes no sense. The F-Sport can't even stay behind the Charger SRT8 on the turnpike. But still love it though.
Old 07-07-13, 03:24 PM
lithe
Driver School Candidate

I really wish they offered the GS-F with the v8 engine. With a face so vicious, it makes no sense. The F-Sport can't even stay behind the Charger SRT8 on the turnpike. But still love it though.
In a straight line, you probably have a point, but take some corners and it might be the SRT8 seeing taillights. From what I read, the GS can handle.

I haven't driven one yet, but I've heard people say the 3.5L in the GS will rarely leave you wanting. Have you had a chance to drive one yet? What are your thoughts?

I'm hoping Toyota/Lexus will do a smaller displacement engine with turbo/supercharging (I've seen hints of this with the next Lexus SC?). Easy to mod for those who want to, or more fuel effecient for those who are light on the throttle.
Old 07-07-13, 03:56 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lithe
In a straight line, you probably have a point, but take some corners and it might be the SRT8 seeing taillights. From what I read, the GS can handle.

I haven't driven one yet, but I've heard people say the 3.5L in the GS will rarely leave you wanting. Have you had a chance to drive one yet? What are your thoughts?
the GS handles, i haven't pushed it much, but it handles, this is coming from owning an e46 m3 and evo x.

speed wise, honestly if you're in the right powerband, it moves, and i can attest to that.

so 20 mph, 50 mph, and 75 mph. nice kickdown to 5k rpm, the car moves.

any rpm lower, it lags, but can't really blame the car, its only 300 hp.
Old 07-07-13, 06:21 PM
lithe
Driver School Candidate

the GS handles, i haven't pushed it much, but it handles, this is coming from owning an e46 m3 and evo x.

speed wise, honestly if you're in the right powerband, it moves, and i can attest to that.

so 20 mph, 50 mph, and 75 mph. nice kickdown to 5k rpm, the car moves.

any rpm lower, it lags, but can't really blame the car, its only 300 hp.
Thanks for sharing your experience!

It's difficult to quantify handling. Your ownership of the M3 and Evo provides some context. Car & Driver love the handling of the GS as well, I'm looking forward to driving one.

I had an Evo 8, now the current Mustang GT. My wife has a Civic Si. We'd like to stay as close to our current fun-to-drive car theme, even as we move towards a larger car for our family.
Old 07-07-13, 07:30 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

The GS can handle and haul ***, all while giving you this great throaty sound when you're putting your foot in it. It is a very satisfying driver's car. Like others have said, I have no complaints with the 6-speed auto. It finds the gears and holds them when necessary.

The only change I wouldn't be surprised to see Lexus make is the aluminum trim in the F Sport model. The striated aluminum is beautiful, but it dents quite easily. I've already had the trim over the glovebox and the cupholder replaced due to dents. Lexus replaced it for free. I have multiple dents in the trim on the driver's side door, but I haven't replaced it because they will probably just come back from the seatbelt hitting it or whatever. I would find it hard to believe they haven't had to replace aluminum trim for many other F Sport owners, so it would be cheaper for them to change to something more sturdy... maybe like the aluminum trim in the LS F Sport. I know they were trying to keep the weight down in the GS, but adding a few more pounds with sturdier aluminum trim won't kill the performance.
Old 07-08-13, 09:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I remember how much the media is so biased towards the Germans.

When the LS460 first came with the world's first 8 speed automatic in 2006, the mass media laughed and said it was overkill, 6 speeds was more than enough , the Germans made do with 5/6 speeds blah blah.
not sure about mass media laughing and saying it was overkill, but i do recall some questioning of its need/value.

by the way, mercedes lead the way for years with the launch of their 7 speed auto in 2003. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7G-Tronic

but there's a concept called the penalty of leadership. leading is hard. lexus has lead in some areas and has been both praised and bashed for it. but that's a very different issue than being behind.

you will lose any aura of being a leader if you lag behind the 'status quo'.

clearly the trend is to 7 and 8 speeds on luxury cars, and so bringing out the same lesser gears transmission (and same engine) as before in a brand new completely re-designed model, is going to cause some flak. i suspect lexus expected that but decided the cost/time trade-off wasn't worth it for now.

Cue 6 years later and they're knocking the GS for daring to have 6 speeds. From the way, they're behaving, it's as if a car is undriveable unless it has 7 or more speeds in its gearbox.
who's 'they'? i think there's been more flak/disappointment from lexus enthusiasts and fans on CL than in the media!

That said, I believe the lack of 8 speeds is just a measure to keep the prices of the GS down since the new IS350 and the ( Japan-only) Toyota Crown Athlete, both with the same 3.5L 2GR-FSE engine and based off the 4th Gen GS platform, have the Aisin/ISF-derived 8 speeds in them.
well cost, and timing. the 4GS has been out a year more than the new IS, and these cars are a bunch of years in the planning/making.
Old 07-08-13, 07:49 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure about mass media laughing and saying it was overkill, but i do recall some questioning of its need/value.

by the way, mercedes lead the way for years with the launch of their 7 speed auto in 2003. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7G-Tronic

but there's a concept called the penalty of leadership. leading is hard. lexus has lead in some areas and has been both praised and bashed for it. but that's a very different issue than being behind.
Not necessarily related to the 8-speed tranny, but another penalty of leadership is being the first out with a new technology that doesn't always work. When I owned an Audi back in '02 and had multiple issues, the service manager said "the Germans invent it and the Japanese perfect it". If Lexus is not considered a leader, it is probably because they are obsessive about making sure something is reliable before they introduce it. I would rather own it once it has been perfected.
Old 07-08-13, 08:23 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

There's a difference between the leading edge and the bleeding edge. Leaders lead and succeed.
Old 07-09-13, 06:09 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lithe
Thanks for sharing your experience!

It's difficult to quantify handling. Your ownership of the M3 and Evo provides some context. Car & Driver love the handling of the GS as well, I'm looking forward to driving one.

I had an Evo 8, now the current Mustang GT. My wife has a Civic Si. We'd like to stay as close to our current fun-to-drive car theme, even as we move towards a larger car for our family.
I currently have a Mustang GT as well, 2012 Glass Roof 6-speed. Awesome motor, good brakes, great steering...but ironically all those things make a frustrating DD, especially in traffic. I don't even use 50% of that cars performance potential on a weekly basis, and it's luxury/comfort/refinement certainly doesn't make up for it (obviously, not its main priorities anyway). It was an emotional purchase 2.5 years ago, and I'm ready for something much more refined that's not a total bore. My own tastes/priorities have shifted, so it's time for a significant change/upgrade.

Long story short, my plan is to order a GS350 sometime in September and trade in my GT when it arrives.
Old 07-09-13, 07:43 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

So are there no changes going into the 2014 model year?

Quick Reply: 2014 changes