GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

There's a HUGE difference between Premium and Luxury!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-13, 08:54 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
glad you were able to get your business done... i'm sure going to miss that GS with the emergency lights and all. oh well, alls well that ends well. congrtaz on your future endeavors Play... post a pic of the Honda when you get her, or PM me with a pic. BTW, is this one getting the emergency lights also?
I will post a pic of the new Accord on this thread! The main reason I chose this vehicle over the Camry is because of the new crash test ratings"25% overlap test". The 2013 Honda Accord and some of the new Volvos are the only cars to pass this test with a good rating so far.
Old 07-13-13, 08:56 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Yeah let us know how you like the Accord, that would be my choice if I were looking for something in that segment...
For an every day average car, I just don't see how you could go wrong? It's stylish, economical, and fun...as I ordered the Sport Manual!

Plus less worrying about daily driving and all the issues that go along with it.
Old 07-14-13, 09:59 AM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
For an every day average car, I just don't see how you could go wrong? It's stylish, economical, and fun...as I ordered the Sport Manual!

Plus less worrying about daily driving and all the issues that go along with it.
My gf bought the new Accord EX 4cyl cvt version and I love that car!

Great ride, pandora works 99% of the time and instantly compared to laggy Enform that only works 60% of the time, right side blind spot camera (GS lacks and way better than BSM), cvt is almost indistinguishable from regular auto, interior space identical to GS, fold down rear seats (GS lacks), push button start w touch unlock just like GS, great crash test rating (not sure if the GS can pass that new small offset crash), and 30mpg on regular gas.

Recently I switched out her oem 17 for the 18 in sport wheels and it looks awesome. Sold the old set on Craigslist so her cost only $250.

Msrp was 26,100 she got it for 22,600 and out the door for less than 25k. So for the same GS lease payments for 3 years I could have own the car outright. Had the Accord been available last July I would have a hard time justifying the GS purchase.

Downside is no power from 4 cyl engine as would be expected, ride and handling not as good, no luxury interior, cloth seats, and everyone has one. But that's pretty much it for me. I think Honda hit a home run with this new car and I think you'll love the Accord. Although I highly recommend you consider the EX trim for the push button start, touch entry, and blind spot camera. You can always upgrade to sport wheels later.
Old 07-14-13, 10:40 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Huh? There is a HUGE difference in quality from Accord to GS. I came out of an Acura TL, which is a step up from the Accord. The GS blows them away... but, I guess each person has a different view of quality.
Old 07-14-13, 10:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Huge difference in quality sure, but at a huge difference in price was I think his point...
Old 07-14-13, 10:48 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

I understand. It all depends on a person's sense of value. No doubt there are MUCH cheaper cars that are similar to the GS in size, much better MPG.. etc.
Old 07-14-13, 10:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly, to me the differences are clearly worthwhile, but I have a good friend who is just as capable of buying something like a GS as I am and he drives an Accord and is perfectly happy with it. He's not a car person though, his car is a transportation appliance to him.
Old 07-14-13, 11:19 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Same here... I have a co worker that drives his Ford Focus and is happy to do so.. he view a car as an evil necessity... instead of a great toy!
Old 07-14-13, 12:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, different strokes for different folks...
Old 07-14-13, 04:36 PM
pinipig523
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people aren't car people and they won't appreciate a nice car like a GS as much as we would. That said, i bet they'd enjoy driving it regardless of their view on cars as merely a transportation module.
Old 07-15-13, 06:23 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Pretty much everyone I know appreciates a nice car. I think it's more a question of value. Not everyone has nor wants to spend $50K+ or lease a luxury car. I myself pondered over the GS for many years as I drove my Camry around. In the end, I needed a comfortable car with some luxuries while I sit in traffic. LOL
Old 07-15-13, 12:03 PM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mso4
My gf bought the new Accord EX 4cyl cvt version and I love that car!

Great ride, pandora works 99% of the time and instantly compared to laggy Enform that only works 60% of the time, right side blind spot camera (GS lacks and way better than BSM), cvt is almost indistinguishable from regular auto, interior space identical to GS, fold down rear seats (GS lacks), push button start w touch unlock just like GS, great crash test rating (not sure if the GS can pass that new small offset crash), and 30mpg on regular gas.

Recently I switched out her oem 17 for the 18 in sport wheels and it looks awesome. Sold the old set on Craigslist so her cost only $250.

Msrp was 26,100 she got it for 22,600 and out the door for less than 25k. So for the same GS lease payments for 3 years I could have own the car outright. Had the Accord been available last July I would have a hard time justifying the GS purchase.

Downside is no power from 4 cyl engine as would be expected, ride and handling not as good, no luxury interior, cloth seats, and everyone has one. But that's pretty much it for me. I think Honda hit a home run with this new car and I think you'll love the Accord. Although I highly recommend you consider the EX trim for the push button start, touch entry, and blind spot camera. You can always upgrade to sport wheels later.
Thanks fot the information! Sure sounds like the Accord will make a great daily driver. I thought about the EX, but prefer the sport cloth seats in the "SPORT" model. Don't really care too much about push button start or the side camera, but it is pretty cool! Really looking for simplicity!
Old 07-15-13, 04:53 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pinipig523
Some people aren't car people and they won't appreciate a nice car like a GS as much as we would. That said, i bet they'd enjoy driving it regardless of their view on cars as merely a transportation module.
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Same here... I have a co worker that drives his Ford Focus and is happy to do so.. he view a car as an evil necessity... instead of a great toy!
Originally Posted by praetor
Pretty much everyone I know appreciates a nice car. I think it's more a question of value. Not everyone has nor wants to spend $50K+ or lease a luxury car. I myself pondered over the GS for many years as I drove my Camry around. In the end, I needed a comfortable car with some luxuries while I sit in traffic. LOL
Enthusiasts like us truly are different. As a car guy, it is shocking to me how people fail to notice or understand the difference between an Accord and a GS350.

Then again, I don't really appreciate certain things that other people love, like the cultural phenom that is "The Bachelorette"!

But really, there's a huge divide between those that see cars as appliances and those of us that lust after these works of art.
Old 07-16-13, 05:29 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NewSpace
Enthusiasts like us truly are different. As a car guy, it is shocking to me how people fail to notice or understand the difference between an Accord and a GS350.

Then again, I don't really appreciate certain things that other people love, like the cultural phenom that is "The Bachelorette"!

But really, there's a huge divide between those that see cars as appliances and those of us that lust after these works of art.
I got to just give my $0.02 here and say that I don't believe anyone here is actually comparing a $60,000 Lexus with a $25,000 Honda.

What's being said is that for my needs as a basic daily driver the Honda Accord has a few options in its price range that might make me feel a little more at home coming from the Lexus GS.

However, I'm not buying the Honda Accord as a replacement to my GS. I'm buying it so I can have a decent daily driver I'm not concerned about and give all my enthusiast behaviors to my third bay stable mate the new Corvette Stingray!

I think people here are getting way too offended and there's simply no need to.

Hope that clears things up a bit!
Old 07-16-13, 06:49 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I use to consider myself an enthusiast, read up on all the cars, features, options, modded things up here and there. Now, I buy a car based on reliability, comfort, looks, value and prestige. The GS350 FSport does all that for me. It's not the best at everything but it's a venerable contender.

And then there are the magazine and spec racers. They know everything about the car numbers wise but will never drive it hard or take it to the track. LOL

Quick Reply: There's a HUGE difference between Premium and Luxury!!!