GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

There's a HUGE difference between Premium and Luxury!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-13, 10:00 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Valueguy
I am assuming you paid around $47k for your car.
See, this is where I wonder if people "really" understand the difference between a permium and a Luxury???

Sticker was $60,000...I paid invoice at $57,000, which was a good deal at the time when I purchased it being only three months out from release date.
Old 06-13-13, 10:10 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Ok I can say that trying to sell your car is harder on your own, when I was trying to sell my 3GS I had it for three months before it was sold it takes a lot of time and effort to get it sold. The more pictures the better as it saves others who may live further away, a better look at the car. You can try to see if you can sell it to a dealer if you need the cash you may suffer a little. Another option is consignment, where they basically try to sell your vehicle and what ever set price you have is the only price they will sell it at, and they have more resources like a dealer selling your car. Hope you sell it!
Old 06-13-13, 10:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
See, this is where I wonder if people "really" understand the difference between a permium and a Luxury???
Whether they do or not, it just is what it is. High dollar option packages depreciate at a much higher rate than the base value of the car. Its not just a Lexus thing, its everywhere. You paid a $5,000 premium for the Luxury package, its worth a small fraction of that more than a Premium car now.

I just did the math on KBB...and adding the Luxury package and adaptive suspension, rear AC adds $400 in value...thats it.
Old 06-13-13, 10:36 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you got your answers by now. Buyers in that price range rarely look for private sellers as they like the comfort to just go to one place and try multiple options, apply for finance there and all that. I never do that as I hate dealers for the fact that you pay so much $$$ for that "comfort". All the cars I bought were from private sellers and all the cars I sold I sold them myself and they sold in , hours or 2 days.
From my experience the most important think when selling as private seller are the photos. Having good photos would sell your car in no time. I'm a photographer so that helped. I even got emails telling me that. Here is a quote from a guy who wrote me while I was waiting for the first person the see the car and also the one who bought it.
"Thank you for the quick response, and I completely understand. Thank you for all of the information, it makes this much easier. By the way the photography was amazing, you really know how to display the car. I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you,
Brock "

I have to mention that all my cars got sold over the KBB price as they were immaculate maintained. Photos of the remotes, dealer sticker are so important.

Second you need to price your car under your dealer with few thousands to make the lazy buyers come to you instead. Make it $45k if you're ready to take the loss.
My first lexus I bought 2 months ago was selling at all the dealers at @$26- 28 , 2010 IS250 33k miles. I paid for mine $20.500 from a lady, one owner, perfect maintain. Saved thousands.
I never buy new cars just because they lose so much money in the first 2-3 years. You get a huge hit. But that's me. Hope it helped.
Old 06-13-13, 11:51 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Whether they do or not, it just is what it is. High dollar option packages depreciate at a much higher rate than the base value of the car. Its not just a Lexus thing, its everywhere. You paid a $5,000 premium for the Luxury package, its worth a small fraction of that more than a Premium car now.

I just did the math on KBB...and adding the Luxury package and adaptive suspension, rear AC adds $400 in value...thats it.
What sucks is that it was an $8000.00 option package. I guess it will just take time.
Old 06-13-13, 11:54 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I think you got your answers by now. Buyers in that price range rarely look for private sellers as they like the comfort to just go to one place and try multiple options, apply for finance there and all that. I never do that as I hate dealers for the fact that you pay so much $$$ for that "comfort". All the cars I bought were from private sellers and all the cars I sold I sold them myself and they sold in , hours or 2 days.
From my experience the most important think when selling as private seller are the photos. Having good photos would sell your car in no time. I'm a photographer so that helped. I even got emails telling me that. Here is a quote from a guy who wrote me while I was waiting for the first person the see the car and also the one who bought it.
"Thank you for the quick response, and I completely understand. Thank you for all of the information, it makes this much easier. By the way the photography was amazing, you really know how to display the car. I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you,
Brock "

I have to mention that all my cars got sold over the KBB price as they were immaculate maintained. Photos of the remotes, dealer sticker are so important.

Second you need to price your car under your dealer with few thousands to make the lazy buyers come to you instead. Make it $45k if you're ready to take the loss.
My first lexus I bought 2 months ago was selling at all the dealers at @$26- 28 , 2010 IS250 33k miles. I paid for mine $20.500 from a lady, one owner, perfect maintain. Saved thousands.
I never buy new cars just because they lose so much money in the first 2-3 years. You get a huge hit. But that's me. Hope it helped.
I've got some great photos, but none of the interior yet, so maybe I should spend more time doing that. I just assumed if people wanted mmore pictures they'd ask???
Old 06-13-13, 12:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

What sucks is that it was an $8000.00 option package. I guess it will just take time.
Time is not your friend...over time its going to be worth less...remember right now its the current model year.

If you are serious about selling it you should sell it now.
Old 06-13-13, 12:42 PM
frotiss
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I offer him $45,000 a couple days ago cash money He turn it down
Old 06-13-13, 12:48 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by frotiss
I offer him $45,000 a couple days ago cash money He turn it down
That's a decent offer and would be my max for a 12K mile '13 w/Lux.
PLAYTYM will have to consider a $12K + loss with tax and fees in such a short time and that's a big number.
Old 06-13-13, 01:40 PM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Time is not your friend...over time its going to be worth less...remember right now its the current model year.

If you are serious about selling it you should sell it now.
However, after time the resale value will catch up to the slow decline of the depreciation.
Old 06-13-13, 01:45 PM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
That's a decent offer and would be my max for a 12K mile '13 w/Lux.
PLAYTYM will have to consider a $12K + loss with tax and fees in such a short time and that's a big number.
It was a decent offer, but from what i can see...very few Lux models out there in the condition mine is in selling for less as I proved in my Autotrader search. I did also tell him I would take $47,000, which I think is more than fair considering it also has remote start, DuPont protection outside and inside ($1200.00 value), weatherTech floor liners, and custome Lexus GS overnight bag.
Old 06-13-13, 01:51 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

However, after time the resale value will catch up to the slow decline of the depreciation.
I understand exactly what your car is worth today and what a brand new one would cost.
A new one exactly like yours from a dealer with MSRP of $60,000 would run $54K plus Tax. A few buyers here could do even better at around $53K.

So, your car is essentially 1 year old with about $7,000 depreciation on it (minimum). This means the Max value on your car is $47k. Hence, any offer over $46K is a good one you should seriously consider. In about 3 months your best offer will likely be $45K.

If it was a F Sport model then you would likely sell it faster as fully loaded F Sports for $60K are harder to find. Even then you would still likely get $47-$48 for it; but, it would sell fast in most markets.
Old 06-13-13, 01:59 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Damn I paid a lot more than $54K for my AWD Fsport. I got raped! LOL
Old 06-13-13, 02:05 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by praetor
Damn I paid a lot more than $54K for my AWD Fsport. I got raped! LOL
I was. Using an MSRP of $60,000. Your F Sport may have had a higher MSRP.
Old 06-13-13, 02:12 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

My MSRP was about $59,400 ... Best I could get the dealers around Chicago to do was $56,500. Oh well.

Quick Reply: There's a HUGE difference between Premium and Luxury!!!