GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Broken Windshield

Old 06-03-13, 12:58 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by InfamousQ
Dealership said they only use OEM & yes, installed
Various franchise glass repair shops tend to say the difference between OEM & non-OEM is just the Lexus label. Will need to research on that.
I'm shocked it's that cheap!

Glass shops always say that and it's not true.
There is one or two aftermarket glass companies that make a good product.
Safelite glass is said to be crap.
Old 06-03-13, 02:03 PM
InfamousQ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'm shocked it's that cheap!

Glass shops always say that and it's not true.
There is one or two aftermarket glass companies that make a good product.
Safelite glass is said to be crap.
Having HUD, wiper heater coils & rain sensors at that price, I'm a bit skeptical whether the dealership uses OEM or not... but I've seen another GS4 having it's windshield replaced at the dealership, so I know it's done in-house & not sub-contracted out.
The dealership supposedly carries nothing but genuine Lexus/Toyota parts, so I'm hoping what they told me holds true, as I'm in need of a new windshield after the 8 months of winter & rock blasting i got after every snowfall...
Old 06-03-13, 02:20 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by InfamousQ
Having HUD, wiper heater coils & rain sensors at that price, I'm a bit skeptical whether the dealership uses OEM or not... but I've seen another GS4 having it's windshield replaced at the dealership, so I know it's done in-house & not sub-contracted out.
The dealership supposedly carries nothing but genuine Lexus/Toyota parts, so I'm hoping what they told me holds true, as I'm in need of a new windshield after the 8 months of winter & rock blasting i got after every snowfall...
Ask and make sure it's oem glass because that's a great price.Seems too good.
Dealers usually have outside installers do the glass install even if oem glass is installed..
Old 06-03-13, 02:53 PM
InfamousQ
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Ask and make sure it's oem glass because that's a great price.Seems too good.
Dealers usually have outside installers do the glass install even if oem glass is installed..
I will question everything next time I bring her in for service. Even if it's outside installers, it's done at the dealership, so if anything gets damaged, the dealership will assume all responsibilities.

The dealership quoted my wife's CT200h at 825 + tax for replacement as well... she got the CT replaced elsewhere with non-OEM for 400 + tax & a broken clip, which they're trying to deny of their wrong doing
Old 06-03-13, 06:48 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Most dealership will have outside installers come and do the glass repair/replace. People not replacing enough Lexus's windshield every day for dealer to have full time tech.

The OEM Lexus windshield with or without sensors/HUD/LKA won't be much different in price. The only thing get replace with the windshield is wipers heating element, all the rain sensor/mirror stuff are re-use.

Third party company can quote you on both OEM & aftermarket windshield, with or without moulding. According to pricing on Sewell parts there are two type of 4 GS's windshield: with or without cold weather package with retail price around $1500 - $1700 so expect the tab for $2K installed.
Old 06-03-13, 07:01 PM
rlj4246
Pole Position

LKA has a cutout in the tinting at top center of windshield that the cameras for LKA use to see thru and detect the lines on road. Haven't seen that cut out on any other windshields
Old 06-07-13, 12:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Sorry for bringing up a kind of old thread, but I went through this not long ago on the 2010 ES.

No way $875 is OEM glass like you are expecting (for it to say "LEXUS" in the corner)

They consider glass from the same "manufacturer" as "OEM" glass. So, your windshield may be PPG, Pilkington, Aashi, etc and be considered "OEM" glass from the perspective of a glass installer or insurance company. That glass will NOT be of the same quality as the glass that originally came on the car, as manufacturers have much more strict guidelines about quality. I had some awful issues with distorted glass on a car years ago and now I fight holy hell for REAL OEM branded glass. Some say Theres no difference but my experience tells me otherwise.

The windshield with HUD/heater from Sewell is $1,236.40 with the CL discount I shopped around when I had it replaced on the ES and I got the dealer to match Sewell's price, but that was the best I could do. Price installed for the ES windshield at Lexus was nearly $1,600.00.

I'd be utterly shocked if $875 got you a real Lexus windshield.
Old 06-07-13, 05:49 PM
GM11
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Sorry for bringing up a kind of old thread,
The thread is not that old to me as the car today still looks the same as it did in the first pic. Thanks for the info on your experience, I will call Lexus once again (they must really hate me by now). I've confirmed with them several times yes it will be OEM, but I'll ask them to confirm it says Lexus -- although not sure what I'll do if they say no since they now finally have it in ready to be installed and Mrs has had enough waiting.

They've indicated it will be around $1200 plus tax. Plus new wiper blades. A couple of hundred dollars here or there is nothing in comparison to the cost of it being off the road for 20 days. Even a few days of taxis and rental cars adds up to several hundred dollars very quickly.
Old 06-07-13, 08:00 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sound like a good price for a Lexus windshield. I had my RX windshield replace with a Lexus one few years back for the same price. The GS still practically new so I don't think they have aftermarket one yet.
Old 06-07-13, 08:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

$1,200 plus tax sounds like its getting a little more like it...

Let us know how it turns out...
Old 06-07-13, 08:39 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

that's the thing with new cars, factory glass/windshields are not readily available. but i bet aftermarket replacements are.
Old 06-07-13, 09:49 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by the.wong.k
that's the thing with new cars, factory glass/windshields are not readily available. but i bet aftermarket replacements are.
Actually, no. But it works FOR you, not against you. Since there is no aftermarket glass available, the insurance companies reluctantly, but inevitably, agree to foot the bill for the real McCoy - lovely Lexus glass! Guess I should know. In the last two months, I've had to replace windshields in both my wife's 2013 GS450h ($1,200) and in my own 2013 LS460 ($2,000). Hope the new ones last longer than the "old" ones.
Old 06-07-13, 09:53 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by williakz
Actually, no. But it works FOR you, not against you. Since there is no aftermarket glass available, the insurance companies reluctantly, but inevitably, agree to foot the bill for the real McCoy - lovely Lexus glass! Guess I should know. In the last two months, I've had to replace windshields in both my wife's 2013 GS450h ($1,200) and in my own 2013 LS460 ($2,000). Hope the new ones last longer than the "old" ones.
not saying i prefer aftermarket replacement, cuz i would take factory glass any day. just saying that newer cars that recently came into production don't readily have replacement factory glass available since it's all going to the assembly line
Old 06-07-13, 09:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by the.wong.k
You've got that backwards. With new car models the OEM glass is available before the aftermarket glass.

One of the best arguments you can make to an insurance company is the car is too new for aftermarket glass to be readily available, so they have to use OEM.
Old 06-07-13, 09:57 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

i see gotcha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broken Windshield