Canadian Owner - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-13, 07:31 AM
a310pilot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian Owner - Questions

What kind of deal did you guys get?

As for me... I shopped around two dealers - Erin mills parkway - initially only offered $1500 off On a GS350 AWD tech package but after lots of back and forth came down to $2500 and wouldn't go further.

Northwest Lexus (Brampton) were a lot more negotiable. Initially I bargained on a ES350 tech package $4200 but later on changed my mind and went for GS350 AWD tech package and further sweetened the deal to $5000 off.

Signed all the paperwork and approved, my car which is a Starfire pearl with saddletan interior will be delivered 15th June.

Here are all the other charges, please let me know if you guys got charged the same?

Air conditioning tax $100
OMVIC fee $ 5
PDI $ 1140
Freight $ 855
Ontario tire stewardship - 5 tires $ 29.45
Globali.com/ ride green registration program $499 ( This one it seems I was kinda forced to get as the dealer kept trying to sell it and my hesitation was turning them off, they said Ride green I have to get regardless and if I really wanted they can remove Globali.com's car identification which will only shave off $200 bucks so I just left it as is..)

Lastly, I recieved a letter from Lexus offering $1000 off on my next lease as a "appreciation" for returning customer. I showed it to the dealer and he said he can't offer it as they already gave me a good deal?

On this topic. Another BIG question. Lexus.ca is offering $5000 off on GS450H lease/finance do you think this is on top off whatever negotiations I can do with the dealer? If true... I wouldn't mind going up to a Hybrid
Old 06-01-13, 08:16 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always check invoice prices on the CarCostCanada website. However a relative told me that there are discounts to the dealer from the manufacturer that are not reflected in that price.

If you visited Erin Mills and Northwest Lexus then you should have visited Lexus of Oakville, south of the QEW of Bronte Rd. With no Lexus dealers in Hamilton area they serve a region from Oakville to Kitchener and down the peninsula to St Catharines. An area primarily outside the GTA, so always worth a visit.

Yes I do have the Globali registration on my car, as I was wondering what those green stickers were.

As far as further discounts on the $5k on the 450h...everything is fair in love, war and car negotiations. :-)
Old 06-01-13, 10:14 PM
a310pilot
Driver

yeah true. I should have visited Oakville lexus. Did you buy your from them? and how much discount did you get?

On Monday I'll try my luck for the GS450H let's see :-)
Old 06-02-13, 06:58 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Yes, Erin Park is closest to us, but we have dealt with some of the staff a Lexus of Oakville in the past.

I think you are about $300 to the good over me in the actual discount. Not as much as NW gave you but we only got dinged $399 for Global-I and Symtech nitrogen. I also had a $25 environment tax, probably a Mr. McGuinty special.

Car negotiations are the "wild west".

So does hybrid give you free reign in the HOV lanes? I figure there are about 7 to 8 percent who are not green and are single occupancy in those lanes. My favourite, was a guy in flaming red giant Hummer roaring down the 403 HOV lane, all by his lonesome. He had big shiny wheels too.
Old 06-02-13, 05:57 PM
a310pilot
Driver

Don't get me started. I hate driving on 4 series highways so much that sometimes I wish I was a undercover cop. I'd give out sooooooo many tickets that month after month I'd be on OPP's TOP productivity list and they'd have case studies based on me. LOL

I even have dreams where I've quit my current job (which I love) and started training to be a COP only so that I can teach these people how to drive.

410 is by far the worst. Left lane is always the slowest lane... so I end up driving on the far right lane.
Old 06-03-13, 07:08 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

It is a provincial past time...drive slow in the fast lane. Yep, for me it is the 427 just south of the airport where 401, hwy 27 and Eglinton all collide. it is always heart in your mouth time as the Sunday drivers head left.

My pet peeve is the Mississauga driver in the BMW that sits at the green light foooorever and then can only be coaxed to creep across the intersection. The Square One area is filled with these jokers. Last year I waited for 3 light cycles before the 3 bimmers in front of me on Hurontario would dare proceed through the intersection!

Sounds like you are near the final price for the car. There are quite a few `013 GSs on the road, Lexus Canada does not sell huge numbers of this car a month but I don`t think they have stacks of inventory left. I thought I saw a YTD figure that indicated they sell about 55 to 65 per month. The RX is their big gun.
Old 06-03-13, 09:55 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey guys,

I'm curious about your negotiations in Oakville. We have a longstanding relationship with the Lexus (and Toyota) dealership owned by them in terms of buying cars and servicing there (Dennis is awesome by the way). However, when I went to negotiate my GS350, I was only offered $500 off (AWD Luxury) MSRP. This was last Spring when the car was relatively new. I ended up going with a broker for about $4000 off (AWD Luxury).. but the wait time was 2 months so I got the car (AWD F-Sport) for about $3500 from Lexus Downtown.

The fact that they only offered $500 off in Oakville pretty much shut the possibility of me ever returning there for a purchase. Ever.

M
Old 06-04-13, 06:26 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

they only offered $500 off in Oakville pretty much shut the possibility of me ever returning
The $4k to $3500 sounds more in a realistic discount and depending on the situation and timing there maybe room for more discounts. A $5k discount is fabulous.The $500 discount would end things for me and I have had dealers in the past do that to me.

It seems the real price given to a particular dealer by the manufacturer is a "murky world" for us. I was advised many years ago to look up the price on CarCostCanada or a similar source and shoot for $700 over invoice. However that was years ago so I don't know what is fair pricing today and of course there are further discounts to the dealer we have no insight of. Also, all of the PDI, freight and other add-ons are simply clawing back the discount.
Old 06-04-13, 07:15 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888
The fact that they only offered $500 off in Oakville pretty much shut the possibility of me ever returning there for a purchase. Ever.
Childish attitude. The dealer gauged the market back then and felt no need to cough up his money to you since a willing customer who would pay his price would be walking in the door right behind you (at least according to the dealer's assessment). In a month or three or six or two years, his market will have changed and he will offer you a price in line with the new reality. To cop an attitude and treat the transaction as a personal affront is silly. Sometimes it's a buyers' market; other times the sellers have the edge. You have to make your way in both. Like Michael Corleone said, "It's not personal - it's strictly business."
Old 06-04-13, 10:25 PM
a310pilot
Driver

Fine, but it's not as simple as that... Nothing personal so he left.

Dealers think customers are dumb and they can offer a discount for the sake of discount. Thinking customer will bulge and take it. How many times do the dealer stop you at the door? The dealer that offered me $5000 off has sales and satisfaction award from Lexus for 2008,9,10,11,12.

A friend of mine runs a electronic store and with 25 years experience he can BET which customer will buy and who won't as soon as they walk in. I've lost many bets with him. Sometimes- he won't even get out of his chair and other times he'll go up running and this is all on same day. This is just one of the variable.

Business is Business and every dealer is in business to sell. Demographics of each location is different. A dealer located in posh rich neighbor hood from his experience knows that his customers don't give a crap out discount. Whereas a dealer in a Asian neighbor hood understands that all deals come down to bargain.
Old 06-04-13, 11:33 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Thanks to the internet, I shop for cars via email. I go to the dealer to sign the papers. I think I paid $1,000over invoice for my fully loaded luxury awd. Turns out that I could have had the same car for $50 over invoice from another dealer. Problem was that the 1st dealer had it locked up and wouldn't deal with the other dealer ... and i didn't want to wait for another one with the features I wanted.
Old 06-05-13, 06:08 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

You know when I was shopping for the car I went to M-B Oakville Autohaus, the salesman politely showed us last year's E class model. Once the test drive was done he dropped us like a rock. On the other hand the salesman at Budd's BMW Oakville was just wonderful. I honestly felt bad not buying from him.

I think you guys are right, timing is everything. It certainly looks like the gang in Oakville misjudged the GS market the previous spring.

BTW - It is not always the case but the areas further out of the GTA have their limits to what they will pay. I think some refer to it as city price, country price. I know I have had to deal with that in myself.

Last edited by zicogold; 06-05-13 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-05-13, 09:37 AM
a310pilot
Driver

Originally Posted by zicogold
It is a provincial past time...drive slow in the fast lane. Yep, for me it is the 427 just south of the airport where 401, hwy 27 and Eglinton all collide. it is always heart in your mouth time as the Sunday drivers head left.

My pet peeve is the Mississauga driver in the BMW that sits at the green light foooorever and then can only be coaxed to creep across the intersection. The Square One area is filled with these jokers. Last year I waited for 3 light cycles before the 3 bimmers in front of me on Hurontario would dare proceed through the intersection!

Sounds like you are near the final price for the car. There are quite a few `013 GSs on the road, Lexus Canada does not sell huge numbers of this car a month but I don`t think they have stacks of inventory left. I thought I saw a YTD figure that indicated they sell about 55 to 65 per month. The RX is their big gun.
427 northwards all the way to Derry road exit is always jammed when afternoon rush hits. I am buying a GS but I hate driving. LOL

BMW drivers in general are the worst even to speak too. ;-) my opinion only off course.

I don't understand how a road that only flows in one direction has no traffic lights or stop signs, no accidents, no road works can come to a complete stop and start moving again, stop again.( I don't think even a rocket scientist can crack the code on this one.)

Last edited by a310pilot; 06-05-13 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-05-13, 12:13 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Air conditioning tax????
Old 06-05-13, 12:46 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Air conditioning tax????
Oh boy, answering this could turn this luxury car forum into one of the great political battlegrounds so let's not go there.

Quick Reply: Canadian Owner - Questions