GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Music on USB dongle question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-13, 12:49 PM
a310pilot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Music on USB dongle question.

Hi guys, Anyone here use USB dongle for car audio instead of a smart phone.?

If so, what's the highest bIt rate Lexus system can handle? And does it play flac files directly from a USB dongle. Lastly which brand is most compatiable with Lexus ?

I plan on buying this https://automaticaweb.com/ and leave it connected in the car. Beauty is this can be wirelessly updated.
Old 05-30-13, 02:21 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big thing here is "cloud access" and that requires WIFI and that requires something that will enable WIFI access for you..a web browser. I think there may not be a way to directly enable WIFI connection from the GS's GUI. At least in this country there is no web brower capability on the GS. This sounds like a just another flash drive. I could be wrong, perhaps there is someone that can better illuminate us.

I understand you want to avoid trucking the flash drive into house and connecting it to a WIFI enabled device. This brings up an interesting question is the GS WIFI enabled...somewhere?
Old 05-30-13, 03:40 PM
a310pilot
Driver

The way I understand how it works is...

You can upload songs, edit songs etc from you PC, MAC or IPAD and when the device is turned on it updates itself. So let's say my car is parked in the garage and as long as this device receives signal from my wifi router it will be automatically updated. Nothing is required from Lexus ....

My question is mainly about Lexus's system limits with regards to mp3 bitrate.

Any ideas?
Old 05-30-13, 03:43 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Ok spotted the tech spec and yeah it has a radio on-board for wireless WIFI connectivity and the processor:

CPU:
ARM Cortex A8
Dynamic Frequency up to 1GHz

Connectivity:
USB 2.0 MSC/UMS protocol device on miniUSB connector
WiFi 802.11b/g wireless network

Sounds like a neat device, and with many smartphones also being MIFI routers skys the limit.
Old 05-30-13, 03:46 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

I have asked about FLAC playback capability before. The answers seemed to be no, but I have not tried as yet.
Old 05-30-13, 03:52 PM
a310pilot
Driver

Bummer..... If it can't handle higher enough bitrate no point in getting this device for me.

Let see what others say.
Old 05-30-13, 04:08 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It can handle Apple Lossless (CD quality 16bit 44.1khz) just fine. I use an iPod Classic with 160Gb disk (synched to my iTunes populated by ripped CDs in Apple Lossless) to drive the Lexus MLs in 2013 GS450h and 2013 LS460. Works a treat! I have asked before about higher resolution sourcing to the ML but have never received definitive info on Lexus system capability.
Old 05-30-13, 04:16 PM
a310pilot
Driver

But in case of apple iPod . It's doing all the decoding so Lexus system doesn't come into the picture. I think I'm right?

Only way to test is with a dongle or similar storage device, where Lexus system does all the work.. (System DAC's convert it.) This brings me to another question. If it can play DVDs and CD's ... Decoding FLAC or higher mp3 bitrate should be a walk in the park.
Old 05-30-13, 04:28 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Decoding is primarily a software responsibility, not hardware. The hardware is there, 17 speakers. 800 and something of power on tap and a processor somewhere. How do we get the software in place to do the magic. Lexus is notably absent in defining just what processing power in their cars, BTW, so is everyone else. Unfortunately, there is no interface.
Old 05-31-13, 07:55 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

It sounds like a good device to have. IMO an important question you should ask is will the GS "see" this device when connected? Just like when you plug something into your computer through USB, the OS needs to install a driver for it to work with the new device. Some drivers came with the OS, others are actually on the device. Other cases, you have to install the driver yourself. If you plug something into the GS' USB port but it doesn't recognize, it won't work letting alone being able to control the songs through its menu.
Old 05-31-13, 10:32 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a flash drive of music that the ML recognized and played. I tried to attach a portable HD loaded with music, however, and the ML acted like it was not there. I guess it needed a driver, other than the one behind the wheel.
Old 05-31-13, 11:03 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not tried FLAC but will give it a try shortly. I have had success with both 32GB and 64GB flash drives as well as a very large 256GB SATA solid state drive connected via a SATA to USB converter but remember that the drives have to be formatted FAT32 and not NTFS. I know that it will not play M4A files.

Last edited by jkeifer3; 05-31-13 at 11:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-31-13, 03:30 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by a310pilot
But in case of apple iPod . It's doing all the decoding so Lexus system doesn't come into the picture. I think I'm right?
Nope, well maybe, if only. Let me explain. When using the USB connection, ML/iPod interface is at command level. The iPod is effectively slaved to the ML and all commands are initiated through ML (Nav system) interface. The iPod's click wheel is totally unresponsive, replaced by a message that iPod is remotely connected. This ML/iPod command mode positively indicates digital, not analog, communication. Additionally, equalization functions (sound shaping) normally available on the iPod are disabled when connected to ML via USB. This indicates, to me, that the ML is pulling unprocessed digital music data from the iPod for D to A conversion and ML sound shaping. Note that when the iPod is connected via 3.5mm interface, control is via iPad click wheel controls, and equalization apps on the iPod are effective, indicating analog signal transmission from the iPod to the ML.

Short version:

USB connection to player -> digital sourcing -> ML DACs effective
EXT connection to player -> analog sourcing -> player's DACs effective

Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-13, 03:37 PM
a310pilot
Driver

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
I have not tried FLAC but will give it a try shortly. I have had success with both 32GB and 64GB flash drives as well as a very large 256GB SATA solid state drive connected via a SATA to USB converter but remember that the drives have to be formatted FAT32 and not NTFS. I know that it will not play M4A files.
Thanks for your reply. These drives do require external power though, right? Let us know your finding when you get a chance to try flac. Please can you also check windows media player files? Lexus website states that its supported.

Burning question I had is still unanswered by everyone. What's the systems limit with regards to mp3,mp4 bit rate?

h.d format was another question. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 05-31-13, 03:42 PM
a310pilot
Driver

Originally Posted by williakz
Nope, well maybe, if only. Let me explain. When using the USB connection, ML/iPod interface is at command level. The iPod is effectively slaved to the ML and all commands are initiated through ML (Nav system) interface. The iPod's click wheel is totally unresponsive, replaced by a message that iPod is remotely connected. This ML/iPod command mode positively indicates digital, not analog, communication. Additionally, equalization functions (sound shaping) normally available on the iPod are disabled when connected to ML via USB. This indicates, to me, that the ML is pulling unprocessed digital music data from the iPod for D to A conversion and ML sound shaping. Note that when the iPod is connected via 3.5mm interface, control is via iPad click wheel controls, and equalization apps on the iPod are effective, indicating analog signal transmission from the iPod to the ML.

Short version:

USB connection to player -> digital sourcing -> ML DACs effective
EXT connection to player -> analog sourcing -> player's DACs effective

Hope this helps.
True, I agree but still leaves tiny bit of doubt fail proof test is either a flash drive like some have or dongle.

Another member says he's gonna a give it a try. Let's see.

Quick Reply: Music on USB dongle question.