GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Transmission shifts

Old 05-21-13, 06:46 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Transmission shifts

My GS is doing something none of my other Lexus' have done. If I brake hard, the tranny downshifts 2-3 gears, then won't move back into a higher gear. I also noticed it when I stomped on the gas to pass, It downshifted, but then stayed in the lower gear for what seemed to be a long time.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 05-21-13, 06:59 PM
LexusVet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that also but only occurs in sport mode, was your car in sport ?
Old 05-21-13, 07:03 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexusVet
I noticed that also but only occurs in sport mode, was your car in sport ?
It probably was I usually drive it in sport

I'll try it tomorrow in normal

Thanks !
Old 05-22-13, 06:03 AM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I experience this on Sport mode as well. Not a big fan of it. I think it holds on to the gear for way too long.
Old 05-22-13, 06:04 AM
ronfsp
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

It's normal. If u think it stays in the lower gear too long, u can tap upshift on the paddle shift to shift up a gear
Old 05-22-13, 06:10 AM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad it's not just me. I'm due for service, I'll see if it can be adjusted
Old 05-22-13, 06:42 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

This is a feature, not a problem. The idea is that if you're entering a corner the vehicle will downshift to give you engine braking as well as prepare the proper gear for exiting out of the corner. The gear is held through the corner to avoid upsetting the vehicle's balance while cornering. Exiting the corner, the transmission holds gear as one would in a manual transmission car in case a second corner is upcoming. This aggressive shift pattern mimics how one would operate a manual transmission-equipped vehicle at speed.

Conventional automatic transmission operation (constantly upshifting to the highest available gear) is available in "Normal" mode.
Old 05-22-13, 07:07 AM
GS250
Driver

Originally Posted by GrdnRxR
It probably was I usually drive it in sport

I'll try it tomorrow in normal

Thanks !
it only happens in sport and sport# mode. there was once i have to up shift it manually after I notice that it hang on to a lower gear even after I let go the gas paddle. don't quite like it but it is useful when you want to zoom out of a corner fast.
Old 05-22-13, 07:09 AM
a310pilot
Driver

My older GS does the same in ECT mode. "outrage" is correct. Also if you are in SPORT mode it means sporty driving. It holds on to lower gear thinking you gonna need the power again pretty damn soon... It doesn't know you kicked the throttle just to pass. It thinks you got a Beemer on you side and your guys are street racing and zig zaggin through cars.
Old 05-22-13, 08:14 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by ronfsp
It's normal. If u think it stays in the lower gear too long, u can tap upshift on the paddle shift to shift up a gear
Yep it's normal +1 on the up shift I do that sometimes. Has the greatest sound though! Also BMW's do this as well when you push the shift **** to sport.
Old 05-23-13, 02:40 PM
maxwebr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am fine with the down shifting when braking, does provide additional torque when you might need it. But what really annoys me is the delay when you get on it. On my 2008 IS350 in its sport mode, there is little delay on the accelerator. I really dislike the delay on acceleration.

I hope this could be adjusted or programmed to minimize the delay. I am sure it is put in for safety, but when I want to get on it.. I want it now
Old 05-23-13, 03:11 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
This is a feature, not a problem. The idea is that if you're entering a corner the vehicle will downshift to give you engine braking as well as prepare the proper gear for exiting out of the corner. The gear is held through the corner to avoid upsetting the vehicle's balance while cornering. Exiting the corner, the transmission holds gear as one would in a manual transmission car in case a second corner is upcoming. This aggressive shift pattern mimics how one would operate a manual transmission-equipped vehicle at speed.

Conventional automatic transmission operation (constantly upshifting to the highest available gear) is available in "Normal" mode.
I see your reasoning and it sounds like a good logic. And now I find myself driving this way too. But if you're not cornering, it can give an unsafe feeling or at least if one is not aware of this. I encountered this a while back when I was driving at about 80 on one freeway that merges into another. As I merged into that freeway, the traffic was not as flow so I had to step hard on the brake to avoid rear ending the guy in the front. At that very moment I could not speed up again because the car downshifted too fast and held it there too long.
Old 05-23-13, 04:37 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

There is nothing preventing you from continuing to accelerate when the downshift occurs. If you hit redline the transmission will automatically upshift.
Old 05-23-13, 04:56 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The purpose of this sport or sport + mode is to get involved more with your car and not just sit there. This is a sports sedan. This is rev-matching with hold. Have any of you ever driven manual cars?
Old 05-23-13, 08:46 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
I see your reasoning and it sounds like a good logic. And now I find myself driving this way too. But if you're not cornering, it can give an unsafe feeling or at least if one is not aware of this. I encountered this a while back when I was driving at about 80 on one freeway that merges into another. As I merged into that freeway, the traffic was not as flow so I had to step hard on the brake to avoid rear ending the guy in the front. At that very moment I could not speed up again because the car downshifted too fast and held it there too long.
Can you help us understand why you could not speed up again because the car downshifted too fast and held it there too long?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission shifts