GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dissapointed in build quality.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-13, 11:19 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zicogold
I have noticed when my wife pulls out of our driveway and onto the road both axles make an audible and concerning clunk as they cross the curb. Our driveway has a noticeable grade sloping to the road. Additionally, the 2GR-FSE does have a noise that is not unlike a sewing machine (valve chatter?) something the trusty 2GR-FE does not have. No matter, I do not hear these noises in the cabin.

So the interior noise level is very low and there are no rattles that I can detect. The exterior noise levels seem to be higher than I had expected and at times raises some concern
I get a bit of piston slap,direct injection noise or whatever on a cold start up for awhile.Not unusual for the 3.5L.
Old 05-03-13, 11:21 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zicogold
I have noticed when my wife pulls out of our driveway and onto the road both axles make an audible and concerning clunk as they cross the curb. Our driveway has a noticeable grade sloping to the road. Additionally, the 2GR-FSE does have a noise that is not unlike a sewing machine (valve chatter?) something the trusty 2GR-FE does not have. No matter, I do not hear these noises in the cabin.

So the interior noise level is very low and there are no rattles that I can detect. The exterior noise levels seem to be higher than I had expected and at times raises some concern
I had that same problem and it was fixed yesterday! There was a clunk pop noise from rear suspension when going down and up the driveway with the slope. The problem was loose subframe bolts that had to be tightened. Now my car is so silent on all bumps, etc. The subframe bolts extend from the front to the rear of the car so that is why you will hear clunks from front and rear axles.
Old 05-03-13, 11:32 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

A little more than 8K here... I did experience loud wind noise through driver's side once a few months back but it was only one time. I wasn't sure why but I did roll down and up which did not seem to fix on that day. After that I have not heard same noise again. The other problem is the brake squeak. They told me it is due to the high performance brake system It still comes and goes but I just accept it as is. It seems to die away after driving a little bit (or maybe the music masks it). I hope they can confirm the rattles and fix for you. These things are real annoying. (and do hope mine will stay this way).
Old 05-03-13, 12:12 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
This car is not perfect, but much better compared to the previous GS that I had. I'm not embarrassed to have passengers driving with me anymore
+1 on that, so many creaks from the dash.
Old 05-03-13, 01:03 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

The noise coming from the driver side door, where it comes together at the dash, bugs the living **** out of me.
Old 05-03-13, 02:33 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhh thank-you Rexus300, one more item for my dealer to deal with. It is not only a clunk, but an ugly clunk!
Old 05-03-13, 02:40 PM
hypnotika
Driver

I also hear a slight rattling/fluttering from my passenger side. Could not pin point where it was exactly but noticeable on bumps uneven road with my music down...i'll have to monitor this Car has 5.3K and never noticed it before until I read this thread.
Old 05-03-13, 02:54 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hypnotika
I also hear a slight rattling/fluttering from my passenger side. Could not pin point where it was exactly but noticeable on bumps uneven road with my music down...i'll have to monitor this Car has 5.3K and never noticed it before until I read this thread.
sorry man, FIF.

Forum induced failure lol
Old 05-03-13, 03:37 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

I have an intermittent rattle in the dash, seems to be coming from the surround bezel around the nav screen. Took it in once, and they put felt between the bezel and the dash, and tightened it down. Seemed to fix it until the outside temperature drops below 75 degrees (I'm in FL), then it comes back. The cooler it gets, the worse the rattle is - I think if the fit is not perfect, as the parts cool they shrink, giving them room to rub.

I also have a "flutter" or what I describe as a helicopter rotor blade noise from the right side, but only on extremely smooth roads (actually, I think it is there all the time, but road noise usually masks it).

These are the only two noise issues I have...Other than that, the car is extremely quiet. Much more quiet than my G35 coupe was, and definitely silent compared to my old Trans Am - Boy, did that rattle!
Old 05-03-13, 07:15 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
The noise coming from the driver side door, where it comes together at the dash, bugs the living **** out of me.
You sound like me (same annoyance level and same noise source). I've taken my car in 4 times now and the latest visit seemed to improve it. However, it's still there and very audible on bumpy roads in colder weather, although I do still hear it occasionally in the warm weather.

I've been a bit too busy as of late but I'm going to write another letter to Lexus soon.

M
Old 05-04-13, 02:53 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mehran888
You sound like me (same annoyance level and same noise source). I've taken my car in 4 times now and the latest visit seemed to improve it. However, it's still there and very audible on bumpy roads in colder weather, although I do still hear it occasionally in the warm weather.

I've been a bit too busy as of late but I'm going to write another letter to Lexus soon.

M
how did they fix it?
Old 05-04-13, 01:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I didn't read the whole thread, but wanted to chime in. 7,500 miles on mine, 5 months in, no rattles, squeaks, or adhesive noises. Roads around here are rough, but I am careful to avoid big potholes.
Old 05-04-13, 07:07 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
how did they fix it?
My dashes and doors have been taken apart a few times now. Pretty sure every time they do it they just add some woodfelt. For the record, I don't consider it "fixed" yet .
Old 05-04-13, 08:25 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I purposely drove with the radio off today to see if I might be missing some rattles, but I'm not. Aside from the occasional driver's seat (or seatbelt) rattle which seems to go away after I adjust the seat, my GS w/ 8,000 miles is as quiet as a tomb. I feel really lucky after hearing some of the comments posted here.
Old 05-05-13, 08:00 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dseag2
I purposely drove with the radio off today to see if I might be missing some rattles, but I'm not. Aside from the occasional driver's seat (or seatbelt) rattle which seems to go away after I adjust the seat, my GS w/ 8,000 miles is as quiet as a tomb. I feel really lucky after hearing some of the comments posted here.
yea, by the looks of it, you either get a rattle happy GS or a quiet car from what i've seen in this thread.

you got lucky, enjoy the quiet car hehe.