GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Obsidian, double edged sword

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-13, 12:46 AM
DaveM79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obsidian, double edged sword

Any obsidian owners out there notice that the colour looks amazing but is both impossible to keep clean and also shows any and every swirl mark/imperfection? My last Lexus was an IS250 in smoky granite, it didn't show anything, ahhhh, I'm sort of concerned about this, should I just get a wrap?? Love to hear from others with Obsidian as their colour of choice.
Old 05-02-13, 05:47 AM
jucytec
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveM79
Any obsidian owners out there notice that the colour looks amazing but is both impossible to keep clean and also shows any and every swirl mark/imperfection? My last Lexus was an IS250 in smoky granite, it didn't show anything, ahhhh, I'm sort of concerned about this, should I just get a wrap?? Love to hear from others with Obsidian as their colour of choice.
I only get black on all my cars,

2 bucket wash, wax.

xpel ultimate front end <-=-= you can't swirl xpel ultimate.

this means you just have to be careful on doors top and back. usually has the least amount of dirt.
Old 05-02-13, 06:54 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

good luck trying to keep the swirls, scratches wash marks, marring etc. off your car. try using Optimum ONR to wash her, but it has to be done right. i've touched on this subject before and even posted findings from a pro detailer in the automotive care forum. i owned a GS F Sport/Obsidian and it drove me nuts. i tried 3 diff coatings, Hard Body, 22PLE and Opti-coat 2.0. opti-coat was the best coating, wrapping is a matter of preference, but that's one way to protect your paint.
Old 05-02-13, 07:48 AM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Obsidian is THE color for this car!
Old 05-02-13, 09:03 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Love hurts and sometimes is troublesome and costly too.
Old 05-02-13, 11:30 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still happy with mine!
Old 05-02-13, 02:30 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

I'm on my third black car in a row....Nothing beats how a black car looks in that five minutes right after you clean and detail it!

Of course, then I find excuses to take my wife's car to run errands so mine doesn't get dirty again...
Old 05-02-13, 02:57 PM
Leo23
Driver

I really like the gs in black. Mine gets dirty fast thou...

I know nothing about the wrapping. Wouldn't that change the "look" and feel?
Old 05-02-13, 07:58 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by harleymark
I'm on my third black car in a row....Nothing beats how a black car looks in that five minutes right after you clean and detail it!
No doubt it is the most beautiful color for the GS, but it's how it looks after that five minutes that kept me away from it.
Old 05-05-13, 07:48 AM
loki312
Driver School Candidate

that's why i went platinum with this one.
Old 05-05-13, 09:03 AM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, when I was shopping, I saw all of the Obsidian cars on the lot with water spots on them. I was going to get that color, but in the end, I knew how hard it would be to keep up with black.

Went with the Riviera Red and it's been easier to maintain.

I'm gonna take syd's advice again and buy some ONR. Even though it's blue, I can use a little red food coloring and turn it into something closer to my color. :tongue in cheek:
Old 05-05-13, 09:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I love black cars, but the upkeep is just too much for me anymore. Really I feel that way about all dark colors. The Jeep is a real dark green...
Old 05-05-13, 12:01 PM
GS350MIKE
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Default I've had four black cars, and..

Each time I leased a black car, I knew what I was in for. The worst part is the swirls that happen after going to virtually any car wash.

This is why I went with the Nebula Grey Pearl this time. It shines when clean, and looks a bit "matte" when dirty (which goes with my matte black wheels.

I seem to rotate between black, grey, then silver with each new lease. Silver is also beautiful, and it tends to show the lines of any car more clearly.

Black tends to make sports sedans assimilate with the pack, making it hard er to distinguish the car from other luxury sedans.

I suggest buying one of those California Dusters and keeping it in your trunk. It makes it very easy to quickly dust off the car any time you start to see a little build up. Just don't use it if the car gets dirty.
Attached Thumbnails Obsidian, double edged sword-photo-7.jpg  
Old 05-06-13, 10:46 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Vasili
Yeah, when I was shopping, I saw all of the Obsidian cars on the lot with water spots on them. I was going to get that color, but in the end, I knew how hard it would be to keep up with black.

Went with the Riviera Red and it's been easier to maintain.

I'm gonna take syd's advice again and buy some ONR. Even though it's blue, I can use a little red food coloring and turn it into something closer to my color. :tongue in cheek:
"ONR is a beast." (Thanks, Syd). It definitely makes my OB look deep and shine more. I can wash my car whenever I want now.
Old 05-06-13, 11:00 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Brutal this time of year with any color in the northeast with the pollen now.

Quick Reply: Obsidian, double edged sword