GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

just switched over from bmw

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-13, 05:02 AM
omaralt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just switched over from bmw

hey guys, let me preface this by saying i had no problems with my 2012 BMW 535i Msport. after speaking to my accountant (wife ) we've comfortably set a budge of ~$1,000/month in car payments for me. well, i'm looking into getting into something quite a bit more in 2-3 years (thinking M5 or M6) with a considerably higher lease payment; so in order to reach that goal i needed to reduce my current payment ($927/month financed, not leased). my problem was my BMW; i still owed $48,239 on it. i went to a few dealerships (honda, infiniti, mercedes) to see what kind of trade in value to expect and nobody was above $44K (low of $41K at honda). i saw the lease special on the luxury package GS350 and went down to lexus. after less than one hour we had reached a deal:

1- $47,500 for my car (only $700 negative equity; huge win for me!)
2- 24 month lease on luxury package GS 350 (MSRP was $59K because it was tinted and had trunk mat or something)
3- drive off was $3,500 (about $2700 in fees and then my negative equity)
4- $578 including 7% tax and 15K miles/yr

i didnt want to fight them too much on the fees since they gave me private party good condition KBB value on my car. and most importantly for the next two years my total car payments will be ($578 x 24 + $3500 drive off = $17K instead of $23K. the salesman also told me that at lease end i may have some positive equity so it may make sense to trade it in instead of turning it in.. who knows..

now to the important part. the funny thing is i really dont feel like i compromised on the car. i was ready to compromise for the next two years (even considered accord!). i gained some things (BSM, ventilated seats, window shades). i think my BMW looked better on the exterior (especially with teh M sport) but i do like the interior of the GS a little more. its honestly about a wash for me. the one thing i did notice right away was the throttle response. no lag. very smooth. i am anticipating a drop in MPG, but shouldnt be significant. enough talk, here are some pics:

http://img10.imageshack.us/slideshow...=photo1viz.jpg
Old 04-29-13, 05:23 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats!!

I traded in my 2011 BMW 535i like yours for the GS350 F-sport because unlike you, I had problems with my 5 series (vibrations, steering wander, throttle lag) and did not like the steering and handling one bit. I am a bmw-fanatic but the new 5 series was a turn off and soured my taste for the brand. I am very impressed and happy with my GS350 F-sport. I did not compromised much. The handling of the F-sport is much superior then the 5 with sport package. Even your luxury version is a perfect balance of luxury and sport. No turbo lag anymore, yay. You will love it over time! Welcome to CF!
Old 04-29-13, 05:57 AM
omaralt
Rookie

thanks, do you of anyway to get a digital clock anywhere in there??
Old 04-29-13, 06:21 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the Lexus family. Thank you for your initial thoughts on both cars. It sounds like you left with a great deal. Post some pics if you get a chance
Old 04-29-13, 06:42 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by omaralt
thanks, do you of anyway to get a digital clock anywhere in there??
congratz, on your purchase. enjoy her, and no... there is no digital clock in the GS.
Old 04-29-13, 06:57 AM
omaralt
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusNN
Congrats and welcome to the Lexus family. Thank you for your initial thoughts on both cars. It sounds like you left with a great deal. Post some pics if you get a chance
i posted a link to an album on my first post
Old 04-29-13, 08:08 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Congrats looks good. Funny I went to the BMW dealership to check on my mothers car and had my car. I got so many looks and then one of the salesmen came up to me and said a guy just traded his F-Sport for an M5. I said well he probably wanted more power, next he's trying to get me to look at an M5 yeah way to much. Sorry had to tell that story.
Old 04-30-13, 05:42 AM
omaralt
Rookie

loving the car so far, but i do miss the auto hold feature. where when i stop at a traffic light (or come to any complete stop) it'll automatically enable the parking brake, so i dont have to keep my foot on the brake.. i'm assuming this car doesnt have it?
Old 04-30-13, 05:52 AM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome and congratz!

Car looks great. You will love it.
Old 04-30-13, 06:27 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Congrats looks good. Funny I went to the BMW dealership to check on my mothers car and had my car. I got so many looks and then one of the salesmen came up to me and said a guy just traded his F-Sport for an M5. I said well he probably wanted more power, next he's trying to get me to look at an M5 yeah way to much. Sorry had to tell that story.
I've been thinking of test driving an M5 one of these days just to see how the 500+hp club lives lol. Lexus needs to hurry up and release that GS-F!
Old 04-30-13, 09:33 AM
hypnotika
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

loving the car so far, but i do miss the auto hold feature. where when i stop at a traffic light (or come to any complete stop) it'll automatically enable the parking brake, so i dont have to keep my foot on the brake.. i'm assuming this car doesnt have it?
Nope, it only has the auto parking brake when you put the car in park. Welcome to the Lexus family
Old 04-30-13, 12:28 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I've been thinking of test driving an M5 one of these days just to see how the 500+hp club lives lol. Lexus needs to hurry up and release that GS-F!
That's what I say to myslef every night in hopes my dream will come true. Still waiting for it though.
Old 04-30-13, 01:55 PM
Formula271
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While stopped, push down on the brake pedal firmly. Slightly before reaching the end of the pedal travel, you will hear a few beeps. Your brakes are now engaged until you touch the gas again.

I've not confirmed this feature on the GS, but, as far as I know, most current model Toyota's have this feature. I'd be very surprised if your GS didn't.
Old 04-30-13, 02:07 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula271
While stopped, push down on the brake pedal firmly. Slightly before reaching the end of the pedal travel, you will hear a few beeps. Your brakes are now engaged until you touch the gas again.

I've not confirmed this feature on the GS, but, as far as I know, most current model Toyota's have this feature. I'd be very surprised if your GS didn't.
We do have this hill hold feature on the GS but it only holds ~3 secs after you let off the brakes.
Old 04-30-13, 02:10 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm reading about all this new technology in the 4gs. My 2gs doesn't even have parking sensors

OP, congrats to your temporary Lexus! Maybe you'll like it and not go back to BMW

Quick Reply: just switched over from bmw