About to buy a 2013 Lexus GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-13, 12:08 PM
zer0cool
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy a 2013 Lexus GS

All,

I am about to pull the trigger on a preowned 2013 Lexus GS. The previous owner ordered the car and took delivery right after the car went on sale. So it's just about 1 year old and has 12k miles. It's fully loaded with F sport and every other package and is in pristine condition. Are there any issues with early builds that I should be aware of (Lexus dealership said that the person did get some recall work done)? What's the cost for each regular maintenance? I know the 15k will be a big one (is it?), could you let me know how much it is and what regular maintenance every 5k costs?

I will likely own the car for 6 years but I am sure Lexus generally has very good reliability particularly consider the engine and drive-train really didn't change for this new generation.

The car is not certified. However from my reading, it appears Lexus CPO, unlike other companies, only cover the car for the next 3 years, instead of the usual 2 additional years after original warranty. Is that correct? If the, certification on a 1 year old car is basically not meaningful at all...

Thanks for any tips or comments.

Last edited by zer0cool; 04-21-13 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-21-13, 12:19 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

I just picked mine up yesterday. The dealer offered a 60,000 mile maintenance contract for a couple thousand. See if you can get that for a discounted price. I think it reduces maintenance cost by about 50%.
Old 04-21-13, 12:28 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd ask why it is not CPO...with that few miles on it, and only being a year old, it should definitely be a CPO candidate.

And you are correct, the CPO warranty is three years from date of purchase, not tacked on to the end of the original warranty, so it may be that the remaining factory warranty is still in force - I would ask.
Old 04-21-13, 01:06 PM
zer0cool
Driver School Candidate

oh the car is not at a Lexus dealership, someone traded it in at Mercedes.

Of course being a 1 year old car I assume it has the original 4 year 50k warranty remaining. So in that sense a CPO is meaningless.

Just want to know if there are any issues with early build 2013's. I ll call my local Lexus dealership to see if they have some sort of maintenance package.

Last edited by zer0cool; 04-21-13 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-21-13, 01:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I know a lot of the dealers here don't certify really new used cars because of the cost, it costs the dealer some bucks and they wind up having to list the cars too high to compensate and it winds up being too close to what a buyer can buy a new one for, and the warranty isn't of much benefit because it expires around when the factory warranty expires. Had a long chat with the guy at my dealer about it because I noticed a lot of the same model year or one year old cars weren't CPO.

I wouldn't worry about it not being CPO.

As for cost of service, it varies a LOT dealer to dealer, and especially region to region. I would look around some and find a good independent mechanic to do your service after you get through the dealer's freebies after purchase. My independent was a Lexus master tech for 16 years and then went out on his own and opened a little shop...prices are like 1/3rd of the dealer...

Lexus dealer service is VERY expensive, but the cars can really be worked on by anyone.

No real issues with earlier builds...
Old 04-21-13, 04:52 PM
zer0cool
Driver School Candidate

Great, thank you for the information. I ll find someone good to do regular oil and filter changes and only do the major services at Lexus (I assume that's necessary right?).
Old 04-21-13, 04:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No, your independent mechanic can do ALL the services. Theres no need to ever go back to Lexus for non-warranty work if you don't want to.
Old 04-21-13, 07:27 PM
zer0cool
Driver School Candidate

Since I ll be buying from a Mercedes dealership, they won't know anything about needed maintenance. Is there a website with all that information so I know what needs to be done with each service?

Thanks
Old 04-21-13, 08:13 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

it probably has the manuals. otherwise, stop by a Lexus dealer and ask if they can give you that information
Old 04-21-13, 09:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

www.lexusowners.com
Old 04-21-13, 09:38 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by zer0cool
Since I ll be buying from a Mercedes dealership, they won't know anything about needed maintenance. Is there a website with all that information so I know what needs to be done with each service?

Thanks
This should help.
Old 04-21-13, 09:55 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

All,

I am about to pull the trigger on a preowned 2013 Lexus GS. The previous owner ordered the car and took delivery right after the car went on sale. So it's just about 1 year old and has 12k miles. It's fully loaded with F sport and every other package and is in pristine condition. Are there any issues with early builds that I should be aware of (Lexus dealership said that the person did get some recall work done)? What's the cost for each regular maintenance? I know the 15k will be a big one (is it?), could you let me know how much it is and what regular maintenance every 5k costs?

I will likely own the car for 6 years but I am sure Lexus generally has very good reliability particularly consider the engine and drive-train really didn't change for this new generation.

The car is not certified. However from my reading, it appears Lexus CPO, unlike other companies, only cover the car for the next 3 years, instead of the usual 2 additional years after original warranty. Is that correct? If the, certification on a 1 year old car is basically not meaningful at all...

Thanks for any tips or comments.
Just make sure the recall has been done and get the trunk TSIB done. Yeah I wouldn't worry about the CPO. Your better off getting an extended warranty.
Old 04-21-13, 10:14 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

If its only 1 year old with 12K miles, just stay with factory warranty. 4yr/50, So you have 3 yr /38 K miles factory warranty left. I won't worry at all. NIL, Notta, Its a Lexus with 12K (which is practically New car) plus still has remainder of factory warranty.. No worries..
Old 04-21-13, 10:54 PM
ShermanMR2
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you getting it for if I may ask?
Old 04-22-13, 08:19 AM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.Just want to know if there are any issues with early build 2013's. I ll call my local Lexus dealership to see if they have some sort of maintenance package.
Mine was one of the first off the lot in February 2012. It just turned 16k yesterday. I have not had any problems with the car at all. No rattles, no wind noise, no brake squeals, nothing. Solid build. Good luck with the purchase.

Quick Reply: About to buy a 2013 Lexus GS