GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS Oil Change - Forget "Not a drop spilled"

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-13, 11:38 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 4GS Oil Change - Forget "Not a drop spilled"

What a disappointment! Changed out the oil on my wife's GS450h at just under 5k (I simply do not trust 10k miles on break-in oil). I had the expectation that future oil changes would be done with "not a drop spilled." Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way on the GS450h (and I ASSUME on GS350 variants) due to a design decision by Lexus engineers. Here's the scoop:

In order to perform a "not a drop spilled" oil change on a Lexus or Toyota vehicle you need two things: a previously installed Fumoto oil pan drain valve (or equivalent) and a drainable oil filter housing. This last needs some explanation. With the filter housing used for ages on Lexus and Toyota vehicles, first remove the small drain plug on the bottom of the housing (no oil escapes). Then attach a small hose to the clear plastic disposable drain tool that comes with the Toyota filter kit (Lexus=Toyota for oil filter kits). Put hose into waste oil container and insert tool into the drain hole. All (almost) the oil in the filter housing is drained off into the waste oil container. Then, remove the housing (catch few remaining drops of oil with a rag), toss the used filter, clean the housing, replace O-rings (from kit), reinstall drain plug, install new filter element, and reinstall housing.

Then, you attach a hose from your waste oil container to your Fumoto oil pan valve, open the valve, drain used oil, close valve, remove hose, refill with new oil and voila! Complete oil change with "not a drop spilled." But, NO!

On the GS450h (and I ASSUME on GS350 variants), the Lexus engineers saw fit to arrange things such that the filter housing is oriented horizontally, not vertically (or obliquely). Thus the lowest point on the housing is actually the attachment between the engine and the housing. The drain plug arrangement used on other Lexus/Toyota vehicles would only drain half the oil. Therefore, it would serve no purpose, so the engineers eliminated it. The filter housing on the GS450h (and I ASSUME on GS350 variants) has no drain. No drain = no way to perform a "not a drop spilled" oil change. So, don't throw away your old drain pans, funnels, and all the paraphernalia associated with traditional "messy" oil changes. You'll need them for your "4th generation" car. Bah!
Old 04-21-13, 11:48 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
What a disappointment! Changed out the oil on my wife's GS450h at just under 5k (I simply do not trust 10k miles on break-in oil). I had the expectation that future oil changes would be done with "not a drop spilled." Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way on the GS450h (and I ASSUME on GS350 variants) due to a design decision by Lexus engineers. Here's the scoop:

In order to perform a "not a drop spilled" oil change on a Lexus or Toyota vehicle you need two things: a previously installed Fumoto oil pan drain valve (or equivalent) and a drainable oil filter housing. This last needs some explanation. With the filter housing used for ages on Lexus and Toyota vehicles, first remove the small drain plug on the bottom of the housing (no oil escapes). Then attach a small hose to the clear plastic disposable drain tool that comes with the Toyota filter kit (Lexus=Toyota for oil filter kits). Put hose into waste oil container and insert tool into the drain hole. All (almost) the oil in the filter housing is drained off into the waste oil container. Then, remove the housing (catch few remaining drops of oil with a rag), toss the used filter, clean the housing, replace O-rings (from kit), reinstall drain plug, install new filter element, and reinstall housing.

Then, you attach a hose from your waste oil container to your Fumoto oil pan valve, open the valve, drain used oil, close valve, remove hose, refill with new oil and voila! Complete oil change with "not a drop spilled." But, NO!

On the GS450h (and I ASSUME on GS350 variants), the Lexus engineers saw fit to arrange things such that the filter housing is oriented horizontally, not vertically (or obliquely). Thus the lowest point on the housing is actually the attachment between the engine and the housing. The drain plug arrangement used on other Lexus/Toyota vehicles would only drain half the oil. Therefore, it would serve no purpose, so the engineers eliminated it. The filter housing on the GS450h (and I ASSUME on GS350 variants) has no drain. No drain = no way to perform a "not a drop spilled" oil change. So, don't throw away your old drain pans, funnels, and all the paraphernalia associated with traditional "messy" oil changes. You'll need them for your "4th generation" car. Bah!
I never use the drain plug on the oil filter canister.Just loosen lower part of the canister and let the oil drain and then take it off and drain the rest.
Yes,a bit messier but a quicker change and works for me.
I've also have heard and read many if not most mechanics do not use the canister drain plug.I know my local mechanic doesn't.
I'd rather have the oil canister horizontally like the 450h.

Last edited by Joeb427; 04-21-13 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-21-13, 04:40 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I've also have heard and read many if not most mechanics do not use the canister drain plug.I know my local mechanic doesn't.
True, and the reason that the canister drain plug in many Lexus/Toyotas cannot be used. Proper maintenance requires the drain plug O-ring be replaced at each oil change. Failure to do so results in an unusable canister draining system. Why would that be something to be desired?

I'd rather have the oil canister horizontally like the 450h.
BTW, I agree that for quick, messy oil changes, the horizontal arrangement is best as you can unscrew the canister while keeping your hand above the spewing oil. That said, my post was about the mythical "not a drop spilled" oil change. That option, unfortunately in my opinion, does not exist for the 4GS models.
Old 04-22-13, 05:56 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like, in the past, Toyota overengineered their oil filters to me. Hooking up a drain tube? Replacing gaskets every oil change? Sounds like an expensive hassle.
Old 04-22-13, 09:05 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Outrage
It sounds like, in the past, Toyota overengineered their oil filters to me. Hooking up a drain tube? Replacing gaskets every oil change? Sounds like an expensive hassle.
That must be why they have such a crappy reputation for quality - over-engineered cars. Just like the Germans, I guess.

BTW, it is still necessary and has been forever to replace the large O-ring on the filter canister. It is supplied, along with the small one for the drain plug AND the disposable drain tool, in the Toyota filter kit for both Toyota and Lexus models (about $5 each in case quantities).

Last edited by williakz; 04-22-13 at 09:15 AM.