GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bath and New Tint

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-13, 02:31 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bath and New Tint

As promised (a week ago - apologies, the weather here has been relatively miserable), here are some pics with the new tint. Had to keep to the legal limit (they are getting aggressive in pulling people over for tint these days), but it's still an improvement over no tint. If I absolutely cannot live with the legal limit, I'll take it back and go darker up front.

Gave her a bath today (two bucket system, lambskin wash mit, microfiber drying towels). Have not done a full polish yet. There is some minor swirling in the paint, no doubt done during delivery prep, but not as bad as I have seen on my other cars (all black) when I took delivery on those. I will do a paint correction with my PC7424 in the not too distant future, and will post those pics up when done.
Attached Thumbnails Bath and New Tint-063_007.jpg   Bath and New Tint-064_008.jpg   Bath and New Tint-066_010.jpg   Bath and New Tint-069_013.jpg  
Old 03-30-13, 02:54 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

looking good harley, BTW that is my last name. what % tint did you go with?
Old 03-30-13, 03:16 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Nice!! Where in florida?
Old 03-30-13, 03:47 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
looking good harley, BTW that is my last name. what % tint did you go with?
Thank you! Given how good your car always looks, that means a lot.

Went with 30% and 15%. Florida really limits the amount of tint you can have on your front windows. The exception is if you have a prescription for light sensitivity, but then you get pulled over and have to show the script.

But, I may switch it darker in front, too....I'll have to see if I can live with it.
Old 03-30-13, 03:49 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nexson
Nice!! Where in florida?
Thank you!

I'm in the Tampa Bay area. Haven't seen a lot of GS350's around here...More ES's and earlier generation GS' (and of course, RX350's).

Where are you located?
Old 03-30-13, 04:23 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

South Florida, Fort Laud. Area
Old 03-30-13, 09:20 PM
Vossen Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Soooo shiny! That Obsidian looks so good, especially with matching tint!
Old 03-30-13, 09:32 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good!
Old 03-30-13, 09:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

It's nice dude, but you missed a critical thing (as do most people). CLEAN THE TIRES!! Get some tire gel or foam. The dirty black detracts from your cars Obsidian paint
Old 03-31-13, 07:49 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks great!
Old 03-31-13, 08:05 AM
harleymark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's nice dude, but you missed a critical thing (as do most people). CLEAN THE TIRES!! Get some tire gel or foam. The dirty black detracts from your cars Obsidian paint
Ironically, that's actually after cleaning the tires and with Zaino tire black on them. Of course, that bottle is getting low and old - May be time for a new bottle!
Old 04-01-13, 02:30 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Looking good. Our cars almost look the same.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm all about the tires too. I usually use Wet Tire and I like its wet look. I had mine detailed the other day and they used what they call tire gel. I forgot to ask what it was. I thought it looked great and you don't have to wait as long as the Wet Tire to be able to drive. It doesn't have the smell like Wet Tire either. What brand do you use? I think I'm going to get some of this stuff.
Old 04-01-13, 03:11 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Thanks...I look at yours as a guide to what I can do in shining my car up!

I think I have to change tire dressings. The Zaino just is not doing it for me. Great on the sealant, but not so much on the tires.
Old 04-01-13, 03:43 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by harleymark

I think I have to change tire dressings. The Zaino just is not doing it for me. Great on the sealant, but not so much on the tires.
IMO, taking the pictures has a lot to do with it too. I'm sure yours looks great in person. It just doesn't show as much as you want. When taking pictures of the car, I personally don't take with flash on. I find a spot where there is no partial shade/shine on the car with as little surrounding as possible. I use a tripod and adjust the f stop to capture more or less of the car. If I want the whole car depth, 11 usually does the job for me. And I manipulate pictures with Photoshop too. Try those things and you will see improvement in your pictures. She's a beauty and you need to practice to be able show that. I'm learning myself too. It's fun and relaxing.
Old 04-01-13, 03:55 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus

I'm all about the tires too. I usually use Wet Tire and I like its wet look. I had mine detailed the other day and they used what they call tire gel. I forgot to ask what it was. I thought it looked great and you don't have to wait as long as the Wet Tire to be able to drive. It doesn't have the smell like Wet Tire either. What brand do you use? I think I'm going to get some of this stuff.
Auto Finesse has a great tire dressing.

Originally Posted by harleymark

Zaino Z16 is a good dressing... you just have to apply 2 coats and wipe off the excess. the key to the Z16 is that you should let it dry. if you're not going anywhere after you apply the dressing... apply it and go inside or do your windows and in about 15 minutes and it should be dry. before you dry the car, do the tires and wheels first and then dry the car so by the time you're done drying the car the tire dressing will be dry.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 04-01-13 at 04:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Bath and New Tint