GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus vs. BMW Handling!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-13, 06:54 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Lexus vs. BMW Handling!

Thought this was pretty good, and pretty close. Another one for Lexus!
http://www.lexus.com/performance/?ci...:Image1:GSWins
Old 03-22-13, 07:05 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never been impressed with the design of BMW, especially now they look like a old gen infinity G35. But their handling is always very good, at the expense of ride quality. The GS has a good mix of both I think. Even if both tests yielded a tie in numbers, I think it would be a good value. The upshot is better quality as I've tired of German engineering being all about performance at the cost of reliability. Good post even if the source is biased. But having driven an F Sport it is apparent the difference.
Old 03-22-13, 07:54 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Lexus GS 350 RWD is 295 lbs. less than a BMW 535i. The Lexus GS 350 AWD is 263 lbs. less than the BMW 535i xDrive. Those are not insignificant numbers. In my test driving of various vehicles in the class, I could tell the Lexus GS was the most agile.
Old 03-22-13, 08:21 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice!
Old 03-22-13, 01:35 PM
XBimR
Driver

Gs fsport was absolutely the better handling car than 535i. 535i felt bigger, GS felt smaller. Coming from a 3 series sport package, I also really liked the GS steering - it was not as weighted but was very responsive and accurate, inspired confidence. 535i was disappointing. The M5 is better but for all that dough it better be.

Also cannot understate how glad I am NOT to have run flats. While I did like their turn in sharpness and they were fine on smooth pavement, they were not well suited to your average American road. My kidney's hurt just thinking about it...
Old 03-22-13, 01:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i don't think it's even a comparison between the handling between gs fsport vs 535, the gs f sport is a far better driving machine and it handles incredibly. feels light, feels small, feels nimble. a lot more fun
Old 03-22-13, 02:06 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would be the person to state the actual experience with both.

The driving and handling of my GS F-Sport is way better than the 2011 BMW 535i that I traded in.
Old 03-22-13, 04:29 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The run flat tires on the 535 m-sport kill the ride, general drivability and possibly some handling.

On the new M5/6, Michelin Pilot SS are the OEM tires. The crappy RF's would hurt these cars #'s during magazine testing, owners would also complain about the ride etc and BMW would not want this for their flagship M cars.

Last edited by 052SI; 03-22-13 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-23-13, 07:56 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

There are several not so obvious facts that make this win by the GS even more impressive :

1 )
These tests were conducted by an independent testing company AMCI Testing.
I found this :
For 30 years AMCI Testing has been an unbiased, independent vehicle testing company, directly serving automotive manufacturers worldwide. Whenever a balanced and unprejudiced understanding of their own vehicles' comparative performance is needed for product development, market intelligence or claim substantiation, most come to us. The oft proven, undisputed and unrivaled accuracy of AMCI Testing Certified data has fairly and defensibly substantiated hundreds and hundreds of competitive claims in television and print over the years.
2)
BOTH cars were equipped with the rear-steering option. So any whining by BMW fanboys that Lexus "cheated" by using additional handling aids is moot. Lexus GS beat BMW 535i fair and square by virtue of superior chassis tuning.(And the fact that BMW 5 series is an overweight porker outweighing the previous generation 5 series by 400 pounds)
Old 03-23-13, 07:58 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Here's the 3 video comparisons on Youtube for those who want direct access :

Lexus GS350 F-Sport vs BMW 535i M-Sport

Slalom :

Cornering :

Evasive Action :
Old 03-23-13, 08:26 AM
Chuck W.
Rookie

Both a great cars, but at 4000 pounds neither are canyon cutters. I replaced the run flats on my 535 M-Sport before it had 200 miles on it and bought a compact spare which takes up way too much room in my trunk. Lexus is the winner in this area too. For a mere $3500 you can option a 5 series BMW with a Dynamic Handling Package that gives you Dynamic Damper Control and Adaptive Drive. I have the DDC but passed on the Adaptive Drive that was an additional $2500. It is basically a hydraulically controlled electric anti sway bars that flatten out the ride on curves.

Like I said, both are great cars with pluses and minuses.
Old 03-23-13, 08:38 AM
natnut
Pole Position

I notice that "these 4000 pound cars are not canyon carvers" argument is now routinely trotted out by BMW owners whenever BMW loses a handling comparison test.

I just think that it smacks of self-serving when FOR YEARS, handling was all BMW fans could talk about and "handling" was a trophy that BMW fans routinely used to dangle over the heads of other car-brands as a mark of BMW superiority.

Now, when BMW no longer rules the roost in car dynamics, "handling" suddenly becomes unimportant?

Sorry, BMW used to set the ground-rules when it came to playing the sports-sedan game. One of those rules of the game is that handling is of PARAMOUNT IMPORTANCE.

It can't suddenly change the rules mid-game just because others have adapted to the rule and are beating it at its own game.

Last edited by natnut; 03-23-13 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-23-13, 12:04 PM
Chuck W.
Rookie

Originally Posted by natnut
I notice that "these 4000 pound cars are not canyon carvers" argument is now routinely trotted out by BMW owners whenever BMW loses a handling comparison tese.
Haaa.... I never get involved in car arguments, or oil debates or politics or religion and so on. What I can say is I would never take a 4000 pound car and push it to its limits on a canyon road. Perhaps an M3 or IS-F but not a 535 or GS 350. IMHO, most who purchase these car don't either.

I can never understand these on line battles over two great cars. Each has its pluses and minuses.
Old 03-23-13, 12:13 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at it from a strictly service based perspective, BMW dealers are always arrogant, overbearing, and unwilling to look past their own brand. Back in the day when they did have better handling and the motors were more of a divider, they could get away with it. Now BMW cars just have nice handling, a Honda interior, overdone price tag, and a buttload of mechanicals to look forward to. No benefit with all the drawbacks. No thanks, I've already owned 4 different German cars. Nothing to miss there anymore.
Old 03-23-13, 11:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
Looking at it from a strictly service based perspective, BMW dealers are always arrogant, overbearing, and unwilling to look past their own brand. Back in the day when they did have better handling and the motors were more of a divider, they could get away with it. Now BMW cars just have nice handling, a Honda interior, overdone price tag, and a buttload of mechanicals to look forward to. No benefit with all the drawbacks. No thanks, I've already owned 4 different German cars. Nothing to miss there anymore.
look who is being arrogant here. so your PAST experience with bmw becomes a description of the brand NOW?

funny, my purchase of the m3 as well as services were all superb, people were great, polite, friendly, loaner cars every single time, courteous, and reasonable. it must be a california not a texas thing then.

btw, my experience with mb and lexus have all been equally great too.

Quick Reply: Lexus vs. BMW Handling!