GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Sensors Going Wacko!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 04:38 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Sensors Going Wacko!

So basically when I got my vinyl done he did the front bumper and sensors, per my request. The sensors were fine but maybe 3 days later they started to go off with nothing in front of them. My question is anyone that has had there sensors done can you take a close up pic of your F-Sport bumper, and post to this thread or PM me. Thanks for your help it's really appreciated.

UPDATE: The sensors are working now with no problems I have not had any issue's with the sensors going off randomly.

Last edited by bigblack06; 05-08-13 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-19-13, 07:39 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

was there any ice or snow on the sensors? that will cause them to activate... it happened to me until i got out and saw that there was a fine sheet of ice on my sensors, i cleaned off the ice... problem solved.
Old 03-19-13, 07:48 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My front proximity alert does the same thing when ice or snow layers on the front of the vehicle. Yesterday, I received an alert asking that I remove ice from the front parking sensors every time I came to a stop. That was the first time I received that message. In previous cases, the sensors registered that I was at the minimum distance and would give me a fast tone when I slowed down to a certain speed.

As far as vinyl, consider this: There are different thicknesses of vinyl. Perhaps the sensors are only affected when using vinyl above a certain thickness.
Old 03-19-13, 08:22 AM
bigblack06

Nope no snow, car is still parked in the garage, clean as a baby's butt! I think it's the vinyl but why would it take so long to react. I know some people have gotten there's done as well. What was the outcome I need my guy to fix this but want to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Old 03-19-13, 08:27 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Nope no snow, car is still parked in the garage, clean as a baby's butt! I think it's the vinyl but why would it take so long to react. I know some people have gotten there's done as well. What was the outcome I need my guy to fix this but want to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Has the temperature recently changed? If the vinyl thickness were the cause, it would be reactive to very small changes, potentially those caused by the vinyl's expansion and contraction. Also, I believe vinyl will continue to adhere to an object over a given length of time (days or weeks?). Those are my theories.
Old 03-19-13, 08:47 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if there is a way to calibrate those things?
Old 03-19-13, 08:53 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by terrycs
I wonder if there is a way to calibrate those things?
I think it might be accessible through the "hidden menu":

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...gured-out.html
Old 03-19-13, 09:19 AM
bigblack06

Could be the contraction, temperature has been the same for the most part nothing really warm. My thought is that the sensors have to be free from the bumper, so he needs to cut them loose instead of having the whole bumper wrapped with the sensors. If that makes sense. The sensors are the rubber rings correct.
Old 03-19-13, 09:29 AM
hypnotika
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of film did he put on? I have 3M that cover my sensors too but it's so thin I haven't had any problems so far. No snow here and she's always garaged.
Old 03-19-13, 09:44 AM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats weird cause I plasti dipped mine and they are fine. Maybe the vinyl is different though. If it persists you can always buy the black sensors, but obviously that is more money and not ideal.
Old 03-19-13, 11:42 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by hypnotika
What type of film did he put on? I have 3M that cover my sensors too but it's so thin I haven't had any problems so far. No snow here and she's always garaged.
Yes he used 3M, do you mind taking a close-up pic of your sensors. She is garaged as well, she is actually garaged and covered with a car cover from the dust elements.

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
Thats weird cause I plasti dipped mine and they are fine. Maybe the vinyl is different though. If it persists you can always buy the black sensors, but obviously that is more money and not ideal.
If it needs to come to that I will but don't want to spend that money yet if it's necessary.
Old 03-19-13, 02:04 PM
hypnotika
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes he used 3M, do you mind taking a close-up pic of your sensors. She is garaged as well, she is actually garaged and covered with a car cover from the dust elements.

If it needs to come to that I will but don't want to spend that money yet if it's necessary.
Here are a couple I had on my phone. I'll get some more close ups tonight when I get home (west coast).

Old 03-19-13, 02:37 PM
bigblack06

Mine looks exactly the same, yeah please closer pics. I would take a pic buts its cold and slushy out here!
Old 03-19-13, 04:14 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the edge is very slighlty coming up or there's the smallest bit of lost clearence?
Old 03-19-13, 05:05 PM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So basically when I got my vinyl done he did the front bumper and sensors, per my request. The sensors were fine but maybe 3 days later they started to go off with nothing in front of them. My question is anyone that has had there sensors done can you take a close up pic of your F-Sport bumper, and post to this thread or PM me. Thanks for your help it's really appreciated.
You may want to check this TSB to see if your VIN is included and then have the dealer to check for any error code....

Quick Reply: Sensors Going Wacko!