GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F-Sport Conversion to 450h?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-13, 12:37 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

jre touched on something that is oh so true... you are supposed to get good grades, i tell my kids that all the time...dad i got good grades, dad i took out the garbage etc. can i get some money for it? uuuuuhhhhh... that's what you're supposed to do so why am i rewarding you for it? anyway, my opinion hasn't changed, i think you should get the car and enjoy it.
Old 03-14-13, 09:44 AM
net4n6
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

There are many good advice here regarding money saving tips.

I don't see anything wrong with O.P's parents wanted to give their kid a $65K car or O.P wanted a $65K car. His parents must worked hard for their money so their kids can enjoy life. $65K car to them must be like $6K car to us "normal" citizens.

I promised my sons the same thing. I told them, if they get good grades and go to good college. I will get them new trucks. I couldn't afford $65K car but I can give my kids a $25K truck.

Good luck with your build @O.P.
Old 03-14-13, 09:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by net4n6
I don't see anything wrong with O.P's parents wanted to give their kid a $65K car or O.P wanted a $65K car. His parents must worked hard for their money so their kids can enjoy life. $65K car to them must be like $6K car to us "normal" citizens.
Thats just the point, when the kid gets out into the world and starts out on his own life...earning his own living...supporting himself, it won't be like a "$6k car" to him. Whether its nothing to the parents or not is beside the point.

Kids enjoying a life they have not earned or worked for is the issue with this generation IMHO.

I don't so much have a problem with parents buying their kids a car, as you mention a $25k truck. Its buying them extravagant luxury items. Luxuries should be worked for, it teaches people something.
Old 03-14-13, 12:11 PM
LexFather

I don't see it that he has not earned his life and I think that is something of a blanket statement to kids born into families of wealth or above average means. This kid clearly is not some bum, he's kicking *** in school and reading his grammar and his thoughts seems to be well strung out. Not everyone needs to come from the "bottom to the top" to learn or have character or to be rewarded.

Grant Hill from my understanding is a great example, he was driving a 50k (at the time) Land Cruiser at Duke as his parents had money. He wasn't a ****, the guy is revered in the NBA for being an all around good guy and hard worker. Most people would have given up after his ankle injury and here he is 40 still playing in the NBA. He didn't take his 50k Land Cruiser and become a bum.

To me its not about the money but the internal drive to succeed, to be the best at something, to want to contribute to society's betterment no matter if you are poor, middle class, above middle class or wealthy. B/C rich and poor we have those that just make excuses and want hand-outs and rich and poor we have those that bust their asses to make things happen.
Old 03-14-13, 02:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I'm not talking about the OP really, I'm just talking about that generation in general. He's obviously very mature and well spoken and seems to have the right outlook on things, but a lot of his peers don't.

To me its not about the money but the internal drive to succeed, to be the best at something, to want to contribute to society's betterment no matter if you are poor, middle class, above middle class or wealthy. B/C rich and poor we have those that just make excuses and want hand-outs and rich and poor we have those that bust their asses to make things happen.
Absolutely, its that drive that is missing from a lot of younger people...
Old 03-15-13, 07:32 AM
net4n6
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Well said....

Following was the conversation I had with my 14 yrs old son regarding his school work:

Son: Why do you worry so much about my school work?
Me: Because I want you to have the opportunity to pursuit of what you want to be when you grow up. I don't want to raise you to be what I wanted you to be. Whatever you do. I want you to work hard at it and be good at it.
Son: Thank you. You are a great Dad.

BTW: I am Asian and I don't like Asian parents who live their dream through their kids.

We are drifting away from the O.P's topic.
Back to F-Sport conversion topic
Old 03-15-13, 03:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I'm not talking about the OP really, I'm just talking about that generation in general. He's obviously very mature and well spoken and seems to have the right outlook on things, but a lot of his peers don't.

Absolutely, its that drive that is missing from a lot of younger people...
Originally Posted by net4n6
Well said....

Following was the conversation I had with my 14 yrs old son regarding his school work:

Son: Why do you worry so much about my school work?
Me: Because I want you to have the opportunity to pursuit of what you want to be when you grow up. I don't want to raise you to be what I wanted you to be. Whatever you do. I want you to work hard at it and be good at it.
Son: Thank you. You are a great Dad.

BTW: I am Asian and I don't like Asian parents who live their dream through their kids.

We are drifting away from the O.P's topic.
Back to F-Sport conversion topic
Cheers guys.