GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

digital clock or time display?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-13, 10:07 AM
7theye
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default digital clock or time display?

I've been trying to get a digital display of the time either on the navigation or dash to appear but haven't been able to, even after reading manual. The reason I ask is although the analog clock is nice in the centre sometimes I want to know the exact time to the minute (mainly for work).

Thanks

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-02-13, 10:14 AM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry , u are not gonna find a digital clock, I know I like that too.
Old 03-02-13, 02:52 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i still havent learned how to tell time either or don't have the patience rather
Old 03-02-13, 04:12 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The clock is there, it's just not displayed. Call lexus and complain...I've adapted to the analog clock.
Old 03-02-13, 07:41 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

they should just work it into a software upgrade.
Old 03-02-13, 08:45 PM
betashave
Driver School Candidate

Probably omitted the digital clock on purpose. I'm beginning to wonder if it's because the analog clock starts falling behind a minute or so every week that passes. Maybe they know their analog clock is not precise and they didn't want the discrepancy to be so obvious.
Old 03-03-13, 12:17 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by betashave
Probably omitted the digital clock on purpose. I'm beginning to wonder if it's because the analog clock starts falling behind a minute or so every week that passes. Maybe they know their analog clock is not precise and they didn't want the discrepancy to be so obvious.
I took my GS into Lexus complaining that the clock lost time, as you said, at about a minute/week rate. They came back after 10 minutes saying they couldn't find anything wrong. Idiots! How can you determine the rate of the clock in 10 minutes? Maybe if they get enough complaints they'll do something.
Old 03-03-13, 07:08 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
I took my GS into Lexus complaining that the clock lost time, as you said, at about a minute/week rate. They came back after 10 minutes saying they couldn't find anything wrong. Idiots! How can you determine the rate of the clock in 10 minutes? Maybe if they get enough complaints they'll do something.
There are digital watch/clock timers that determine a clock's accuracy in a few seconds. The clock in my GS lost three minutes over the past six months. That figures out to 0.04 seconds per day. That is 100 times more accurate than a new Rolex! (Rolex accepts limits of four seconds lost or six seconds gained per day.)

Last edited by ECL; 03-05-13 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-03-13, 08:34 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For my wife's GS450h, I found a small digital clock at the local dollar store. I pasted a cut-out circle of fabric (matches trim) over the analog dial and then glued the digital clock to the fabric. Looks classy and even tells the date! She loves it (and me!) since she can't tell time either from an analog clock. Give it a try...
Old 03-03-13, 11:38 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

If Toyota wanted to install an analog clock in the GS, it should have used one which wasn't so half-assed. The vehicle, at least those equipped with the navigation system (I've never seen one without it), already receives the correct time via GPS satellite. There's no reason why I should have to correct the time on a modern car to compensate for daylight savings time, let alone one pushing $60,000.
Old 03-03-13, 01:38 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Outrage
If Toyota wanted to install an analog clock in the GS, it should have used one which wasn't so half-assed. The vehicle, at least those equipped with the navigation system (I've never seen one without it), already receives the correct time via GPS satellite. There's no reason why I should have to correct the time on a modern car to compensate for daylight savings time, let alone one pushing $60,000.
totally agree
Old 03-04-13, 08:10 PM
betashave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
And why would you make something like that up anyway? They must know the clocks are defective and there is nothing they can do except hopefully get a corrected part in the pipeline. It's a shame because it's such a nice looking clock. It manages to be the elegant centerpiece of the dash/console area, even if there is a massive 12" screen behind it. I want it to function as it should. Get the part fixed and bring on the TSB Lexus! I will definitely express my dissatisfaction with this feature at the first service visit. If they get the analog clock fixed, I won't even care so much that there is no digital clock.

Originally Posted by williakz
For my wife's GS450h, I found a small digital clock at the local dollar store. I pasted a cut-out circle of fabric (matches trim) over the analog dial and then glued the digital clock to the fabric. Looks classy and even tells the date! She loves it (and me!) since she can't tell time either from an analog clock. Give it a try...
Really? This I gotta see. How about a pic?
Old 03-04-13, 08:42 PM
LexFather

Over the years its always made me chuckle the conversations about a clock in a car.I remember the rumblings that Lexus looked dated with the analog clock so they dumped it and well, now people can't tell the time

Maybe it should be an option with the HUD or in the NAV somewhere. Clocks have never been an issue for me.
Old 03-05-13, 07:16 AM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 7theye
I've been trying to get a digital display of the time either on the navigation or dash to appear but haven't been able to, even after reading manual. The reason I ask is although the analog clock is nice in the centre sometimes I want to know the exact time to the minute (mainly for work).

Thanks

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
To display the system clock (at least temporarily, to set the analog), go into ... Setup ... General ... Clock ( I forget if the last menu item is called clock or system time, but it's the top item). The time will be displayed.
Old 03-05-13, 07:23 AM
cindytoo
Driver School Candidate

seriously...........a huge analog clock..........it takes up too much room on the dash - would rather have a bigger NAV display or a slot to toss my keys in. I guess it is supposed to be retro? Been there, done that.

Quick Reply: digital clock or time display?