GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What made you get the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-13, 08:16 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Similar reasons like others mentioned... In particular, I was looking for something a little more than a common daily car. I was considering 3s, 5s, E and A4, 6. What really sold me was the interior. After that things just got better as I have put more miles on her.

Last edited by 1111GS; 05-22-21 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-01-13, 08:32 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After 12 years of 4 different BMW's I got fed up with all the problems the new models were having and the direction they were going with "The Ultimate Driving Machine". My major complaints were:
Run flat tires on all models.
Hesitation problems, turbo-lag, or tip-off, or whatever you choose to call it.
New electrical steering with car pulling to the right with no fix in sight.
Nav system sucked bad.
Charging system inadequate to maintain battery voltage.
Problems with turbo-chargers.
Miscellaneous electrical problems and glitches.
Frequent and recurring software updates in attempts to fix the above problems.
After test driving all models of the new BMW's I decided to walk away.
I considered Audi, MB. Porsche, and finally, being a past Lexus owner, drove the 2013GS and loved it. All the performance and handling of the past BMW's with none of the drawbacks of BMW's. It was an easy decision and I become more convinced it was the right decision every day I drive this car.
Old 03-01-13, 09:10 AM
stick22
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i egotistically hope that me driving around in this car has got people changing their minds about the whole "lexus = boring" idea
Old 03-01-13, 09:29 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by stick22
i egotistically hope that me driving around in this car has got people changing their minds about the whole "lexus = boring" idea
+1 I agree cause I hate when people say its a boring car.
Old 03-01-13, 09:37 AM
thedwp
Rookie

It was between the 535, A6 & GS. I've always had beamers and made up my mind i would try something different this time. Obviously there are great things about all the cars but as a whole package the GS (F SPORT) won out.
Old 03-01-13, 10:13 AM
mush
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stick22
i had a girl tell me she rather have an infiniti and that lexus=camry LOL
had another girl tell me this car is meant to be driven slow and that i didnt deserve the car cause i abuse it

Last edited by mush; 03-01-13 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-01-13, 10:35 AM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Why? There are a number of reasons.

I drove a BMW, Infiniti, Acura and the GS350 before making my decision. I was going to check out other luxury models in similar classes like Cadillac, Lincoln, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar...but after a while my wife and daughter (that's two different people btw... ) became tired of all the test drives. My wife said, "You know you love that Lexus. Why not spare us anymore test drives and just buy it?"

She was right. There was no way any other car would suffice. The comfort, the smooth ride, the acceleration, the luxury features...and especially the reliability history of Lexus helped me make the decision.

Also after speaking to two mechanics that I have known and trusted for years, it was a no-brainier. I asked their opinion and both of them responded with similar answers. "Well, we do see a lot of German cars in our shop. Not so much with the Lexus brand. Also, if you have troubles down the line Japanese cars are less expensive to repair."

Not long after buying it, I ran into an engineer that has owned two Lexus vehicles in his lifetime. His current one had 175,000 miles on it. The first one he had owned was purchased in 1990 and he finally sold it in 2010. He told me that he racked up 665,000 miles on it. With that type of longevity, how could I go wrong?

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Attached Thumbnails What made you get the GS?-image.jpg  
Old 03-02-13, 07:36 AM
CincyBrad
Driver

I just picked mine up on Thursday, I also considered the MB E class and the Bimmer 5 series. Reliability was a big factor for me, so that skewed me away from the German cars. Also, IMO, the value on the Germans wasn't great. I looked at several E350 4Matics with a $60k sticker that didnt even have Xenon headlights or push button start, you have to buy the P2 package to get them. Seriously, a $60k car with halogen headlights? There are cars that cost $15-20k less that have them standard. My local MB dealers were also not pleasant to deal with, at all.

Questionable reliability and poor value on the competing models led me to the GS.

Edit: I also looked at the Acura TL AWD. My previous car was. 2008 TL Type-S and was fabulous, zero issues with that car. The new TL's are still great values for the money, one of the best available, IMO, but I just couldn't get over the looks. It's better now that they look the beak off the front, but the rear still looks pretty bad. It's a shame what Acura has done with thier designs, they are otherwise great cars, they just look like crap.

Last edited by CincyBrad; 03-02-13 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-02-13, 10:08 AM
teejs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CincyBrad
I just picked mine up on Thursday, I also considered the MB E class and the Bimmer 5 series. Reliability was a big factor for me, so that skewed me away from the German cars. Also, IMO, the value on the Germans wasn't great. I looked at several E350 4Matics with a $60k sticker that didnt even have Xenon headlights or push button start, you have to buy the P2 package to get them. Seriously, a $60k car with halogen headlights? There are cars that cost $15-20k less that have them standard. My local MB dealers were also not pleasant to deal with, at all.

Questionable reliability and poor value on the competing models led me to the GS.

Edit: I also looked at the Acura TL AWD. My previous car was. 2008 TL Type-S and was fabulous, zero issues with that car. The new TL's are still great values for the money, one of the best available, IMO, but I just couldn't get over the looks. It's better now that they look the beak off the front, but the rear still looks pretty bad. It's a shame what Acura has done with thier designs, they are otherwise great cars, they just look like crap.
agree completely. Acura designs used to be so much better. I thought they would have learnt their lesson with the reception they got for the latest TL but guessnot. the new RL looks extremely boring to me.
Old 03-02-13, 10:25 AM
LexusVet
Pole Position

I have a 2010 TL that im trading in when my special order arrives, Initially I loved the TL (being a Lexus guy) but just found over the last couple years is that you get what you pay for, yes its less expensive but overall has poor quality: everything is plastic, the dash is too chaotic too many buttons I can never find what im looking for, cheap floor mats, inferior leather quality. Also dealing with Acura is night and day compared with Lexus, unprofessional staff, corporate complaints fall on deaf ears, I would never buy another Acura again.
Old 03-02-13, 11:18 AM
CincyBrad
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusVet
I have a 2010 TL that im trading in when my special order arrives, Initially I loved the TL (being a Lexus guy) but just found over the last couple years is that you get what you pay for, yes its less expensive but overall has poor quality: everything is plastic, the dash is too chaotic too many buttons I can never find what im looking for, cheap floor mats, inferior leather quality. Also dealing with Acura is night and day compared with Lexus, unprofessional staff, corporate complaints fall on deaf ears, I would never buy another Acura again.
My 08 had no issues at all, it was flawless for 60k miles. It's true the interior will be cheaper, but I think it needs to be scaled to expectations. It's not as nice as the 4GS, but its also significantly less expensive. In my area you can get a fully loaded AWD TL with the Advance Package for $40k. AWD with the tech package can be had for around $38k or less. There isn't much on the market today that has what that car offers considering the price point. Realistically, $40k doesn't get you much these days. I would have considered the TL more seriously if the design wasn't so awful.
Old 03-02-13, 11:53 AM
LexusVet
Pole Position

My 08 had no issues at all, it was flawless for 60k miles. It's true the interior will be cheaper, but I think it needs to be scaled to expectations. It's not as nice as the 4GS, but its also significantly less expensive. In my area you can get a fully loaded AWD TL with the Advance Package for $40k. AWD with the tech package can be had for around $38k or less. There isn't much on the market today that has what that car offers considering the price point. Realistically, $40k doesn't get you much these days. I would have considered the TL more seriously if the design wasn't so awful.
I aggree I also got a good deal on my Acura, and it is no way in the same class as the GS sorry if I compared, I only wanted to compare the brand, the TL is in same class as IS and ES and if you compare those Lexus will always come out on top for finishes and quality.
Old 03-03-13, 08:42 AM
7theye
Driver School Candidate

I was thinking about getting a BMW 5 Series for the Audi a6 as most people here have said. However, for the price, you really can't beat the feature set on the GS. Also, the interior is gorgeous, and on because they redesign the car, you can actually tell it's a new model versus the other 2 where you can't tell so much. Also, the car is not as common so it tends to get a little bit more attention.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-03-13, 09:11 AM
Mojo122
Driver

. I would have considered the TL more seriously if the design wasn't so awful.
Coming from the 05 TL with the A-Spec package I was going to just go with another TL despite the less than stellar design because of the reliabilty of the 05. It was my wife who urged me to look at Lexus or something else. When I told her the only Lexus I was interested in was the GS and it was more expensive, she said I was worth it. I also looked at Audi and BMW, but the GS F-Sport wowed me.
Old 03-03-13, 05:12 PM
C6Driver
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by betashave
My wife.

Actually it came down to the Jaguar XF and the GS350. The GS was the clear winner for her. It was more of a toss up for me, but I was easily convinced with the overall value and brand reputation for reliability, not to mention the rapid depreciation of the Jag.
After driving and enjoying a 2000 GS, I was really leaning towards the Jaguar XF to have something different. I was very impressed wth the interior, the attention to detail and really liked the exterior styling.
After driving the Jaguar, I remembered that I had a $1500 special rebate from Lexus for those who attended the US Golf Open in June 2012 so I decide to go to the Lexus dealership and try the 2013 GS. The improvements over my13 year old GS was quite apparent but the interior of the Luxury model (in my option) was surperior to the Jaguar. I really enjoyed the drive and the new exterior gave it just enough edge to make it something different. With the US Open rebate along with the $1500 loyalty rebate, the purchase price became very attractive. The reliabilty reputation for both cars were also a deciding factor.

Quick Reply: What made you get the GS?