GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS Achilles Heel - The Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-13, 02:34 AM
bdizfiz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4GS Achilles Heel - The Tranny

Don't get me wrong - I love this car. It's by far the best car I've ever owned, and one of the best I've ever driven. Hands down. I love the deal I got on it, too.

That said, there is one thing that was really not done well, and it bugs the heck out of me when driving through traffic at highway speeds - the transmission. First, 6 speeds aren't enough in this class anymore. I never thought I'd say that, but it's true - if you're running an automatic, you've got to have 7, 8 or 9 when you're fighting the A6, E-Class and 3 Series. It's funny because Lexus was the first to market with an 8 speed (current LS, pre-face lift), so it's weird to see them put a 6 speed into the 2013 GS.

Second, and this could be different even with a 6 speed, the thing hunts and is just mapped horribly. It's fine for leisurely driving, but it's too unclear about what the right gear should be at any given time. I had really weird surging on the highway the other day after passing someone and returning to a steadier cruising speed (RPM spiked to 4500 during the pass, but then stayed there once I took my foot off the gas and coasted back down 15 mph to a speed it was comfortable handling at about 2200 RPM). I used cruise control for the past 2 days, and I watched the needle move back and forth from 2000 to 2800 ever couple of seconds. The car was sort of rocking the whole time.

Maybe my transmission needs a reprogramming, but I am guessing it doesn't. I think they all need one.

I'll put money on the major mechanical change for the mid-cycle facelift to this car being a new transmission with at least 7 speeds.

Anyone else agree? Disagree? Think mine is a dud?
Old 02-18-13, 03:49 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

What mode was the transmission in?

Normal/Sport/Sport+/Eco?

Was it also set to manual mode?
Old 02-18-13, 04:11 AM
rlj4246
Pole Position

Sounds like Lexus needs to check your tranny. Mine shifts fine. I do agree it should have a 7 or 8 speed (9 seems like too much) but probably that will come next year. I was not impressed with the tranny in my LS460. My 8 speed seemed to hunt for the proper gear. Were you in S+ by chance.
Old 02-18-13, 06:23 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey, sounds like you're in S or S+ based on what I'm hearing. I get the same in my car in those modes.

I personally don't have any complaints about the 6-speed. If an additional gear would give me better mileage, I'd be interested.. but given my mostly city driving I doubt it would.
Old 02-18-13, 06:34 AM
XBimR
Driver

Maybe the software could be improved. I like to California stop maybe more than I should..in normal mode this confuses the transmission (it seems to lag for a moment thinking I am going to stop), in sport modes there is no issue. Shifting and feel seem good to me.

I agree with others that have mentioned higher gears in an 8 speed would help highway fuel economy. However this means the tranny will be constantly short shifting in city driving (an X3 I drove did this).

I think you just have to set the dial to the driving mode, if cruising go with normal mode.
Old 02-18-13, 06:34 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Disagree. I think you ought to have your transmission checked out by a Lexus Technician to see what the problem is. It may need reprogramming. I have none of the symptoms you are experiencing and my transmission is exceptionally smooth in all modes. I think the current transmission is very well suited to the GS. The LS is a much heavier car and benefits from a transmission with more gear options.
Old 02-18-13, 06:38 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i wouldnt be surprised if the 2014 GS350 gets the 8 speed like the IS350 is getting
Old 02-18-13, 07:29 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Doesn't this car learn our driving habits, and program accordingly?

Anything more than 6 is too many. If it's hunting and searching for the right gear now....why would adding 2 more gears make it easier to find the right gear?
Old 02-18-13, 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I also think the car will eventually get the 8 speed, but I have no issues with the 6 speed. Its a little jerky when getting on it after a 2-3MPH roll, but all Lexus transmissions are.
Old 02-18-13, 01:43 PM
Realfresh
Rookie

Like most of the others, I've had the opposite experience (wouldn't mind the 8 if it was well-sorted).

But from my past experience with automatics (my old was was a manual TL so not a good comparison) the 4GS tranny seems to be easily controlled depending on how much throttle input you give.
Old 02-18-13, 03:04 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Doesn't this car learn our driving habits, and program accordingly?

Anything more than 6 is too many. If it's hunting and searching for the right gear now....why would adding 2 more gears make it easier to find the right gear?
+1 if this car had anymore gears it would be hunting them everytime. My X5 does the same thing were if in sport mode it holds the gears when you step on the gas but if you let off quick it needs to adjust. If in normal mode it doesn't do any of that. I have had no issues with my tranny and it runs perfectly.
Old 02-18-13, 07:24 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think the tranny is pretty legit, i love flooring it and it downshifting to 5k rpm (20 mph, 55-60 mph, and 75mph )
Old 02-18-13, 08:18 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
+1 if this car had anymore gears it would be hunting them everytime. My X5 does the same thing were if in sport mode it holds the gears when you step on the gas but if you let off quick it needs to adjust. If in normal mode it doesn't do any of that. I have had no issues with my tranny and it runs perfectly.
Agreed. I love the 6AT in my GS F Sport.
Old 02-18-13, 09:16 PM
betashave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bdizfiz
I used cruise control for the past 2 days, and I watched the needle move back and forth from 2000 to 2800 ever couple of seconds. The car was sort of rocking the whole time.
Mine exhibits this same behavior in cruise control on the highway. Seen this in both Normal and Eco modes.
Old 02-18-13, 11:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Anything more than 6 is too many.
that was said about 3, 4, 5 gears too. i think the 8 speed will really improve the already excellent 4GS drivetrain.

Quick Reply: 4GS Achilles Heel - The Tranny