GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS Achilles Heel - The Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-13, 12:22 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

The only issue I have with the current trans is how damn lazy it shifts when cold lol. Cold starts with sport mode on is the only time I've experienced it rev up to almost 5k while I'm manually trying to upshift. Other than that it's great.
Old 04-02-13, 07:38 AM
LexFather

The tranny adapts and is very aggressive compared to past Lexus transmissions especially in Sport+ mode. When in normal it drives fine but if I get into anything slightly sporty or aggressive, the tranny reads my mind. I could see how that could be annoying to someone that does not expect it.

Lexus made this GS very fun and aggresive. We used to have a trick in the older GS where we can reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery, not sure if that would work with the 4GS. The idea was to reset the ECU and then have it learn your driving style.
Old 04-08-13, 02:01 AM
bdizfiz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love these responses, and that others have duplicated the issue and found it as undrivable/unsafe. Well, I actually hate that it happens, but I love that I'm not alone.

rjm, I completely disagree with you, and bitkahuna is right - you can't base your conclusion off the Stingray. Apples and Pears, as the Brits would say. There's a great interview with the head of the transmission team at ZF on the matter of the number of gears that really helps explain the issue and why more is better (assuming it's a good tranny with good programming...obviously more done poorly isn't necessarily better).

A well-done transmission with more gears will get better fuel economy than the same transmission quality with fewer (assuming all else is constant - weight, power, etc). It's an engineering truism.

But my post isn't about fuel economy - it's about surges that render the car unusable. I think the other replies here do clarify that this is more about programming than anything, so an 8 wouldn't help with this particular issue. That said, it would help with a number of other issues with the tranny, which is really the only thing I'm not thrilled with in an otherwise amazing car.

This is the reason I posted this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...de-select.html

I want to pull the suspension setting from SportS+ and apply it to ECO and Normal modes.
Old 04-08-13, 06:09 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JPC65
An update - the issue happened the other day and when it did, the trans held, revving at about 5,000 RPM. When this happens, it make the vehicle almost un-drivable. There's no way to accelerate until the the trans normalizes and downshifts. This is the same behavior as bdizfiz experienced. Frankly, it's unsafe. I've resigned myself to drive in normal mode until such a time that Lexus acknowledges the issue and does something to remedy it.

It's really disappointing as I love just about every other aspect of the vehicle.
If the vehicle's engine is holding at 5,000 RPMs it's due to the currently selected transmission gear. In order to accelerate further you'd need to adjust your throttle position more aggressively (more throttle) to continue to gain engine speed.
Old 04-08-13, 02:40 PM
tankton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Outrage
If the vehicle's engine is holding at 5,000 RPMs it's due to the currently selected transmission gear. In order to accelerate further you'd need to adjust your throttle position more aggressively (more throttle) to continue to gain engine speed.
Not to be silly, but isn't that common knowledge? Could the problem of the person you quoted be different? (though, without more details, I cannot think of any other way of interpreting the post, either).