GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

When will there be a V8 engine for the 4th generation GS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-13, 12:11 PM
LexFather

I love V-8s but some things to ponder...

In the U.K, Ferrari sold more V-12 599s than BMW 550 sedans.
Infiniti has the M56 with 420hp and it sells awfully.
Hyundai has a V-8 Genesis and they have really made the V-8 a basic option since the take rate is plummeting.
There is a strong rumor the next E class will have a base V-6 and turbo V-6 and drop the V-8 until you get to the AMG models.
Caddy has a V-8 in the CTS-V only, no base V-8 model

While a GS 460 or GS 500 sounds logical it seems it wasn't worth the additional development cost. The V-6 is pretty perfectly balanced as it is and adding 100 more hp and torque would need suspension changes for reviews to be as strong. If anyone has driven a M56, its a powerful V-8 that doesn't seem matched with the chassis. If you have driven the 535 or 550 the 535 does a pretty good job keeping up.

Audi seems to be onto something with smaller V-8s (I think the new one is a 4.0) with boost. Not sure of the take rate though.
Old 02-15-13, 12:21 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iggyhop9
True, but I don't a GS has ever deserved a V8 more than this one. The 3GS was exactly a driver's car and this 4GS is a class leader. Also, I do see more GS400s than 300s. I think that speaks to that gen of the GS more than the market for it.
Well said.
Old 02-15-13, 01:09 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint

Hyundai has a V-8 Genesis and they have really made the V-8 a basic option since the take rate is plummeting.
There is a strong rumor the next E class will have a base V-6 and turbo V-6 and drop the V-8 until you get to the AMG models.

While a GS 460 or GS 500 sounds logical it seems it wasn't worth the additional development cost. The V-6 is pretty perfectly balanced as it is and adding 100 more hp and torque would need suspension changes for reviews to be as strong. If anyone has driven a M56, its a powerful V-8 that doesn't seem matched with the chassis. If you have driven the 535 or 550 the 535 does a pretty good job keeping up.

Audi seems to be onto something with smaller V-8s (I think the new one is a 4.0) with boost. Not sure of the take rate though.
You are completely right.. I seen them discounting the Hyundai 5.0 Rspec from $47K to $37K because of slow sells, i might be incline to pick up a beater Hyundai Rspec as a poor man's GSF..
Old 02-15-13, 02:40 PM
iggyhop9
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by noncom23
Well said.
Dang, I had two typos in there.
*I don't THINK a GS
** The 3GS WASN'T
Old 02-15-13, 06:33 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey guys, the "rumour" about them replacing the V8 (non-AMG) E-class is pretty certain now. So like Blueprint said, I think it'll be unlikely there'll be a V-8 GS (aside from the potential for a GS-F).

We'll see if BMW follows suit, but it looks like V8s are on their way out in this segment. In Canada Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar and Lexus don't have them (aside from their AMG/S type models). Only BMW and Infiniti seem to still be carrying the torch, and I bet Infiniti will bow out soon.
Old 02-15-13, 06:51 PM
LexFather

Red face

Originally Posted by mehran888
Hey guys, the "rumour" about them replacing the V8 (non-AMG) E-class is pretty certain now. So like Blueprint said, I think it'll be unlikely there'll be a V-8 GS (aside from the potential for a GS-F).

We'll see if BMW follows suit, but it looks like V8s are on their way out in this segment. In Canada Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar and Lexus don't have them (aside from their AMG/S type models). Only BMW and Infiniti seem to still be carrying the torch, and I bet Infiniti will bow out soon.
I'm posting from phone so I can't link but infiniti stated recently that they will stop producing V-8s.
Old 02-15-13, 09:22 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint

i concur... is this something Lexus has started or has it been done already... with the perfectly balanced and well tuned V6? although sometimes i do try and push more power out of her hoping there's some hidden HP in there somewhere. but i'm satisfied with the V6 we have.
Old 02-15-13, 10:27 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

I guess we all can "Rationalize" why we don't need a V8 so you can feel better that Lexus and other Lux brand don't have a V8, while Chevrolet Impala SS is coming out with the RWD V8 with 415 HP.. -- https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...vrolet-ss.html
Old 02-16-13, 01:11 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Guess its back to sports cars or American muscle at this rate.

you just can't replace what a V8 has to offer. The 3gen GS didn't sell well with the V8 because the numbers were to close. That V8 had so much more to offer and they held back. But I guess the days are over...

at least its nice from rear

Old 02-16-13, 01:24 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2

you just can't replace what a V8 has to offer. The 3gen GS didn't sell well with the V8 because the numbers were to close. That V8 had so much more to offer and they held back. But I guess the days are over...

Yes sir, I sadly agree.

I guess, i'll never see a 400-500HP Lexus GS as I always hoped. I guess its back to Muscle cars since the ZL1 Camaro, Mustang Shelby and new Corvette is out now.. Back to the basics to get the V8 power we want.
Old 02-16-13, 02:19 PM
LexFather

No one is rationalizing the V-8. I love them and wished it offered it. I still have a 430. For me personally I don't have much desire for a non GS F v-8. Been there and done that twice. The IS F appeals to me as a possible GS F. The GS 450h F sport is appealing.

The other thing is the German V-8s are tuneable and Lexus gives us uncrackable ECUs
Old 02-17-13, 12:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Yes sir, I sadly agree.

I guess, i'll never see a 400-500HP Lexus GS as I always hoped. I guess its back to Muscle cars since the ZL1 Camaro, Mustang Shelby and new Corvette is out now.. Back to the basics to get the V8 power we want.
if they make gsf, i think it will be v8 and has at least the hp numbers you hoping for. i really doubt it would be turbo 6
Old 02-17-13, 08:12 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
if they make gsf, i think it will be v8 and has at least the hp numbers you hoping for. i really doubt it would be turbo 6
Hey, tossing in a few more 'cents' here. If they do come out with a GS-F, I really hope it's an M5, E63 competitor, and not positioned like the S6. The S6 is a great car, but I think that if Lexus builds a GS-F, they need to gun with the biggest "boys". Audi always has the RS6, and I doubt Lexus will come out with two GS-F flavors.

Here's hoping. For now, the only thing keeping me true to my "I bought my 4GS for 10 years" is the fact that there is no GS-F. Introduce a GS-F and I might throw that out the window.

On that note, I hope this fictional GS-F is AWD like the latest E63.
Old 02-17-13, 11:24 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2

she does have a cute little butt...
Old 02-17-13, 04:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,564 Likes on 1,848 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
interesting point. too bad we will never know, but i wonder if there are solid numbers on the gs300 vs gs400/430 (2gs) sales and then gs300/350 vs gs430/460 (3gs). i personally see more v8 2gs than v8 3gs overall.
Oh yeah, the 2GS was out at a time when the V8 was far more attractive than today. Economy was booming, gas was cheap, if you look around from that era you see a lot more V8 5 series and E classes too.

Originally Posted by iggyhop9
True, but I don't a GS has ever deserved a V8 more than this one. The 3GS was exactly a driver's car and this 4GS is a class leader. Also, I do see more GS400s than 300s. I think that speaks to that gen of the GS more than the market for it.
Look around at the 5 series and E class, you see way more V8s in the generations of those cars that were out when the 2GS was out. Look at the new ones, you rarely see a 550 or E550.

Its a different world today than it was when the 2GS was out.

Quick Reply: When will there be a V8 engine for the 4th generation GS?