are swirls a hassle with this color?
I have black now and thinking
of a switch.
Thx ahead.
Old 02-04-13, 08:32 AM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I am very happy with my Nebula Grey at the moment, no noticeably swirl marks, although we are not getting much sun here in the UK at the moment, I did go into my dealership the other day, they had a black GS in the showroom, I couldn’t help noticing numerous swirl marks on the bonnet, and this was a brand new car, the bright , white, spot lights shining down on it probably didn’t help.

Last edited by Chris8152; 02-04-13 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-04-13, 08:40 AM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it similar to the IS's Smoky Granite Mica?

If so...you'll have issues. my 2007 is in great shape because of my detailing, but it's only because of that. Full buff and dual action polish every 18 months or so.

my next vehicle (Already ordered) is white. I want to be able to bring it through car washes without worrying about swirls.
Old 02-04-13, 08:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

nebula is a lighter gray than SGM
Old 02-04-13, 09:06 AM
1Gunner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my NG for all of 5 days now...... and so far so good!
Old 02-04-13, 09:51 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx guys! That helps.
Probably will go with Silver.
Old 02-04-13, 12:49 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

our paint is so soft that there's no way to escape it. saw a 2013 LS NG on the lot with noticeable wash marks and swirls. SP & LP is the best way to go. although the paint is still soft it's a little easier to maintain. it just has to be done right.
Old 02-04-13, 01:24 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
our paint is so soft that there's no way to escape it. saw a 2013 LS NG on the lot with noticeable wash marks and swirls. SP & LP is the best way to go. although the paint is still soft it's a little easier to maintain. it just has to be done right.
Thx Syd. I will look at it. I really like the
Neb on Flaxen.

Last edited by noncom23; 02-04-13 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-04-13, 01:25 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Swirls,sun/light refraction happens with darker colors.
Old 02-04-13, 04:33 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Speaking of light cars and swirls... I was at a Tesla showroom, and their white Tesla S had A LOT of swirls on it. Embarrassingly so. I mentioned it to the sales guy and he politely shrugged and said that they make their cars do a lot of double/triple duty (showroom car, test drive, tech testing, etc). I still love the car though. I did happen to do the math to see the cost of trading in my 4GS for one.

(btw: love my 4GS, but the dealer experience and the rattle I've complaining about for 8 months now is driving me NUTS). I'm giving the dealership one more chance (although I shouldn't.. they clean my car when I ask them not to, they blame the rattle on unreasonable things (noise is in the front door/ashtray area, but they blamed my carseat in the back), and they also don't replace things when they "fix" the car (I noticed the trim around the front passenger A-pillar wasn't probably re-fitted after my last visit to fix rattles on that side)).

If someone from Lexus is reading this, PM me. I'm at wits end. Being a Toyota/Lexus person for 18 years (since I was 16), I know I'll come back and I still think they're better than the rest for quality/reliability.. but I feel like I need a break for a few years.

Another edit: They also disabled the cookie-crumb functionality the last time I gave them the car.. which pissed me off. They said it must have accidentally been reset, but the suspicious guy in me makes me feel like they took it offroading to see if they could hear rattles.
Old 02-04-13, 04:50 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by noncom23
Thx Syd. I will look at it. I really like the
Neb on Flaxen.
NGP/FLXN is a nice combo... but you'll see swirls and wash marks alot quicker than you would with SP & LP. i'm going back to SP with the LS.
Old 02-04-13, 06:17 PM
ialexxx
Driver

Originally Posted by mehran888
Speaking of light cars and swirls... I was at a Tesla showroom, and their white Tesla S had A LOT of swirls on it. Embarrassingly so. I mentioned it to the sales guy and he politely shrugged and said that they make their cars do a lot of double/triple duty (showroom car, test drive, tech testing, etc). I still love the car though. I did happen to do the math to see the cost of trading in my 4GS for one.

(btw: love my 4GS, but the dealer experience and the rattle I've complaining about for 8 months now is driving me NUTS). I'm giving the dealership one more chance (although I shouldn't.. they clean my car when I ask them not to, they blame the rattle on unreasonable things (noise is in the front door/ashtray area, but they blamed my carseat in the back), and they also don't replace things when they "fix" the car (I noticed the trim around the front passenger A-pillar wasn't probably re-fitted after my last visit to fix rattles on that side)).

If someone from Lexus is reading this, PM me. I'm at wits end. Being a Toyota/Lexus person for 18 years (since I was 16), I know I'll come back and I still think they're better than the rest for quality/reliability.. but I feel like I need a break for a few years.

Another edit: They also disabled the cookie-crumb functionality the last time I gave them the car.. which pissed me off. They said it must have accidentally been reset, but the suspicious guy in me makes me feel like they took it offroading to see if they could hear rattles.
Damn, I am glad I am not alone with this. My worse nightmare just started happening, constant rattling coming from the driver cockpit side... I hope they can fix it
Old 02-04-13, 06:18 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

NGP/FLXN is a nice combo... but you'll see swirls and wash marks alot quicker than you would with SP & LP. i'm going back to SP with the LS.
Its a tough decision. Can't wait to
see that LS.
Old 02-04-13, 07:37 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by noncom23
Its a tough decision. Can't wait to
see that LS.
patience my friend... patience. i want to wait for the new body style, but then again if i can't get this LS bug off my back then it will be before the summer. IMO SP and LP are your best choice as long as you don't use car grinders and wash the car yourself the right way. not saying it won't happen with the SP and LP because anything that comes in contact with your paint will scratch it... but with the lighter colors you can try and keep them (swirls & wash marks) to a minimum and/or less noticeable.
Old 02-04-13, 07:45 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

patience my friend... patience. i want to wait for the new body style, but then again if i can't get this LS bug off my back then it will be before the summer. IMO SP and LP are your best choice as long as you don't use car grinders and wash the car yourself the right way. not saying it won't happen with the SP and LP because anything that comes in contact with your paint will scratch it... but with the lighter colors you can try and keep them (swirls & wash marks) to a minimum and/or less noticeable.
Nope. You gotta hold on.
My last SP GS was the lowest
maintenance paint I have had.
I used my oldest
drying towel on it and had no gripe
about swirls. NG just looks fragile.
But NG does fit this body style well.

Quick Reply: Nebula Gray Swirls