GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Different Woods Inside? Janky

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-13, 03:20 AM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read this thread off and on for several weeks. I see the comments about the grain, the locations having different forms (3D vs 2D), and different light affecting the slightly different trim pieces. I would be happy if mine were similar in color. I have a black/black 2010 L. The shift **** wood is orange, the steering wheel is brown, and the rest of the interior wood is red. If only the shift **** didn't match, I'd be fine (looking to replace it), but replacing the steering wheel is not in my plan. As for someone's comment about this not being a Rolls. Let me say this, I paid for it to be right which is matching wood. Shouldn't I expect that? I would expect that in a Vett....a Chevette that is.
Unfortunately, I doubt this is a warranty issue. If anyone has experience of Lexus correcting this, let me know.
Old 02-26-13, 04:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by e39ng
I took a pic of my steering wheel and the linear espresso wood...looks like they had different grain pattern.

IMAG0019 by e39ng, on Flickr

Wow!
That's not even close in color or grain.
Old 02-26-13, 05:23 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand all of the complaints about the wood not matching perfectly, and I also agree with the remarks that the GS is not a Rolls Royce and expectations may be a bit high for a car of this level. My question is, didn't you guys closely examine your car PRIOR to purchase? I spent at least 30 minutes closely inspecting my car prior to purchase and all my cosmetic complaints were taken care of at that time. I would not lay down 50-60K on a car that I hadn't examined closely prior to purchase.
Old 02-26-13, 07:01 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by e39ng
I took a pic of my steering wheel and the linear espresso wood...looks like they had different grain pattern.

IMAG0019 by e39ng, on Flickr
Wow that doesn't look the same at all, I would complain to Lexus about that.
Old 02-26-13, 07:22 AM
a310pilot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it's not a RR and nobody is asking it to be RR. But aren't Japanese all about meticulous details and precision ? I mean that's what they portray when you watch any documentarys about Japanese manufacturing. Be it Lexus or Kikoman.

Since they are so detail oriented I think it's okay if you are giving it to them for missing the obvious. QC needs to a better job catching these .....

regarding your ES assessment ... THANX. Its comforting.I just booked a top of the line ES.
Old 02-26-13, 09:08 AM
pmiller
Driver

Does this look close?
Attached Thumbnails Different Woods Inside?  Janky-image.jpg  
Old 02-26-13, 09:13 AM
pmiller
Driver

Or this?
And this is an LS that I would expect to be as good as a RR for finishes.
Regarding looking over the car before purchasing, I never thought to look at this. Yes, my fault. Of course the sales people provide you all the time you need to look it over...yeah, no pressure...right? Regardless, they should fix it. I didn't look at the engine either, but if something is wrong there, warranty covers that right? Expecting someone catch everything that should be done right the first time during a 30 minute review of the car is unreasonable. They clearly don't match.
Attached Thumbnails Different Woods Inside?  Janky-image.jpg  
Old 02-26-13, 11:32 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2007 LS was similar to one pictured: grainy red dash/console/door panels and orangey-brown grainless shift ****. Only difference is my steering wheel was on the dark side of the panels rather than lighter as shown. The Shimamoku in my new LS is perfectly matched everywhere, but that's to be expected in a man-made laminate, no?

Last edited by williakz; 02-26-13 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-26-13, 11:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Linear Espresso here and the wheel matches perfectly.

Ditto!!!.
Old 02-28-13, 07:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by pmiller
I have read this thread off and on for several weeks. I see the comments about the grain, the locations having different forms (3D vs 2D), and different light affecting the slightly different trim pieces. I would be happy if mine were similar in color. I have a black/black 2010 L. The shift **** wood is orange, the steering wheel is brown, and the rest of the interior wood is red. If only the shift **** didn't match, I'd be fine (looking to replace it), but replacing the steering wheel is not in my plan. As for someone's comment about this not being a Rolls. Let me say this, I paid for it to be right which is matching wood. Shouldn't I expect that? I would expect that in a Vett....a Chevette that is.
Unfortunately, I doubt this is a warranty issue. If anyone has experience of Lexus correcting this, let me know.
This is a completely different car than the one we are talking about here, but I have seen Lexus replace steering wheels that don't match under warranty. Thats however on brand new cars, since yours is 3 years old I don't know whether they would.

As the wood wheel and wood **** age, the color does lighten from exposure to the oils in your hands and exposure to UV light (top of the wheel). This is normal IMHO...

And this is an LS that I would expect to be as good as a RR for finishes.
That would be an unreasonable expectation. The LS is FAR cheaper than a Rolls Royce, Rolls Royces are hand built and the wood is hand finished, very different price points and very different levels of quality.

Thats like saying that your Movado or Raymond Weil watch lacks quality that your Rolex has. The Movado or Raymond Weil is a very nice 4 figure watch, but the Rolex is an entirely different level. As is the case with Lexus and Rolls Royce.

Expecting someone catch everything that should be done right the first time during a 30 minute review of the car is unreasonable. They clearly don't match.
Again, this is a topic about a brand new Lexus GS, issues with a CPO 2010 LS should be discussed in the LS forum. Entirely different situations.
Old 02-28-13, 08:11 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

This guy never wants to lose an argument. Sounds like you went an extra mile to dig up evidence.
Old 02-28-13, 08:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

LOL, I do my best

For what its worth, Lexus has definitely replaced steering wheels for members here that were unhappy with the match on other models. If anybody is unhappy, they should talk to Lexus about it...
Old 02-28-13, 10:36 AM
e39ng
Lead Lap

But look at the new LS "Shimamoku Espresso wood", the steering wheel matches the other trims. This is similar to our Linear Espresso wood in terms of grain pattern. So definitely it is doable no matter 2D or 3D.
Old 02-28-13, 10:45 AM
a310pilot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't argue with the picture.
Old 02-28-13, 02:47 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
This is a completely different car than the one we are talking about here...
I think the point is that LS460 wood (don't know about blonde LS430 wood) came from the factory seriously mismatched between steering wheel, shift ****, and dash/console/door panels. If the factory, reviewers, salespeople, customers, etc. were willing to accept this situation on the top of the line car, what's the beef with downline models?

BTW, to see "real world" pics of the Shimamoku Espresso in my car, see my post "2013 LS460 Back from Florida Trip" in the LS460 forum. Note that the close-up of the steering wheel seems yellowish due to the fluorescent light shining directly down on it when I snapped the pic.

Last edited by williakz; 03-01-13 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Different Woods Inside? Janky